Is Beldsoe a Capable Replacement for TestaVerde?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon said:
I can relate to pretty much of what you're saying. But when I used the term "free up," I mean that even though TestaVerde does not have a tangible binding contract, he is still under some pressure to hold his current status pending BP's decision to make the final thumbs up/down regarding TestaVerde's status. While I don't think the Panthers or any other team will knock the doors down with any contract proposals, I still think VT has some NFL time remaining for some team in the NFL. Will that team be Dallas? We'll see!
He's under no pressure from BP or anybody else from the Cowboys. Matter of fact, I've read that his agent said that they'd had no contact with the boys since before Bledsoe signed. So I seriously doubt Vinny is coming back here...

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
He's under no pressure from BP or anybody else from the Cowboys. Matter of fact, I've read that his agent said that they'd had no contact with the boys since before Bledsoe signed. So I seriously doubt Vinny is coming back here...

VT probably won't come back. No, the pressure that I was referring to was with VT. I think he's Under a lot of "self-pressure" to get a home team, because I think he still has a Burning desire to play one or two more years. He already knows the Cowboy offense playbook, so that's probably his first choice (even if it means riding the bench).

I was trying to look at it from a VT perspective that's all.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon said:
VT probably won't come back. No, the pressure that I was referring to was with VT. I think he's Under a lot of "self-pressure" to get a home team, because I think he still has a Burning desire to play one or two more years. He already knows the Cowboy offense playbook, so that's probably his first choice (even if it means riding the bench).

I was trying to look at it from a VT perspective that's all.
I understand that, but really nobody here cares about Vinny.

I respect the fact that he gave whatever he could to this organization, but I'm not losing any sleep about the next one-year vet min job he's gonna get.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
I understand that, but really nobody here cares about Vinny.

I respect the fact that he gave whatever he could to this organization, but I'm not losing any sleep about the next one-year vet min job he's gonna get.

Ok WG; I got it!

ravidubey

Reaction score
Vinnie is like a boxer who throughout his match gets hit hit hit and hit again and as you watch him suck terribly still manages to just get in one good jolting jab to finish each round. You end up thinking, "Hey, not bad!"

After the match you realize you appreciate how the boxer was tough enough to last 15 rounds and you think he did OK. You forget that boxers are SUPPOSED to last 15 rounds and that 15 thrown punches TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!

This is what happens to your psyche when your expectations are systematcially stepped on, trampled, and dragged through the mud.

Vinnie and the Cowboys offense has tortured us to this point, where we are so stunned to see a 300+ yard passing game that we almost don't care there were 3 interceptions. Where we see what could be the worst exhibition of passing ever in NFL history for 3 and 9/10 quarters and suddenly a fluke pass to Patrick Crayton makes us believe everything is OK again.

Dallas must demand far better than anything like Vinnie. An average passing game is not good any more-- we need to shoot for elite status in the passing game so when we likely fall short of that goal we can realistically achieve something that is still worthy enough to be called professional football.

Bledsoe carries us ten steps closer to an elite passing game. He has flaws, but he can do an almost perfect job when he has the right support.

Vinnie in his 18 years of play has one conference championship game LOSS to show for it. If it wasn't for NY media hype over Tuna's resurrection of a third franchise NO ONE would care or even remember about that 1998 Jets season. Instead it's built up to mythic proportions and Vinnie gets to go along for the ride.

Understand this: Vinnie sucks. Vinnie has ALWAYS sucked. Vinnie will only suck worse.

Drew Bledsoe, whatever his flaws, is a FAR, FAR better QB than Vinnie Testaverde.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ravidubey said:
Drew Bledsoe, whatever his flaws, is a FAR, FAR better QB than Vinnie Testaverde.

Eliminate those two "FAR, FAR" and you're close to the actual truth.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In fairness to Vinny I do not think Parcells expect that he would have to rely on Vinny to win these games but with the defense playing poorly and no running game except late in the season I think more responsibility was thrown on Vinny than what Parcells wanted. I think if the defense once again stinks and we have no running attack I think we will see Bledsoe have problems as well. Neither of these guys are QB's you want throwing the ball 35 to 40 times a game.

blindzebra

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Vinnie is like a boxer who throughout his match gets hit hit hit and hit again and as you watch him suck terribly still manages to just get in one good jolting jab to finish each round. You end up thinking, "Hey, not bad!"

After the match you realize you appreciate how the boxer was tough enough to last 15 rounds and you think he did OK. You forget that boxers are SUPPOSED to last 15 rounds and that 15 thrown punches TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!

This is what happens to your psyche when your expectations are systematcially stepped on, trampled, and dragged through the mud.

Vinnie and the Cowboys offense has tortured us to this point, where we are so stunned to see a 300+ yard passing game that we almost don't care there were 3 interceptions. Where we see what could be the worst exhibition of passing ever in NFL history for 3 and 9/10 quarters and suddenly a fluke pass to Patrick Crayton makes us believe everything is OK again.

Dallas must demand far better than anything like Vinnie. An average passing game is not good any more-- we need to shoot for elite status in the passing game so when we likely fall short of that goal we can realistically achieve something that is still worthy enough to be called professional football.

Bledsoe carries us ten steps closer to an elite passing game. He has flaws, but he can do an almost perfect job when he has the right support.

Vinnie in his 18 years of play has one conference championship game LOSS to show for it. If it wasn't for NY media hype over Tuna's resurrection of a third franchise NO ONE would care or even remember about that 1998 Jets season. Instead it's built up to mythic proportions and Vinnie gets to go along for the ride.

Understand this: Vinnie sucks. Vinnie has ALWAYS sucked. Vinnie will only suck worse.

Ah...no.

We have not had above average QB play out of any QB since Aikman, and we did not even get it from Troy at the end. Bledsoe is just more of the same.

He is the best since Aikman, but hell, so was Vinny last year. Call it the tallest dwarf if you will. I, for one, am sick of dwarfs.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Eliminate those two "FAR, FAR" and you're close to the actual truth.
No Mikey...you might even add a FAR to that one. Vinny Sooo stunk up the joint last year while Bledsoe was coming on late in the season with yet another new head coach and OC and system. Now will be going back to a system and HC that he knows and has had success with in the past. No I don't believe that he is the Drew Bledsoe of his days with the Pats and a superbowl shot, but I do believe that he is not as far removed as everyone thinks.

The Bills with Bledsoe at the helm pulled a semi-decent season out of what started off as a completely abysmal year witha late season charge. While the Cowboys with Vinny at the helm still stunk it up. Even with Julius coming on with a running game late in the year we were blowing games on Vinterceptions late in the game.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
ravidubey said:

That was good............

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
No Mikey...you might even add a FAR to that one. Vinny Sooo stunk up the joint last year while Bledsoe was coming on late in the season with yet another new head coach and OC and system. Now will be going back to a system and HC that he knows and has had success with in the past. No I don't believe that he is the Drew Bledsoe of his days with the Pats and a superbowl shot, but I do believe that he is not as far removed as everyone thinks.

The Bills with Bledsoe at the helm pulled a semi-decent season out of what started off as a completely abysmal year witha late season charge. While the Cowboys with Vinny at the helm still stunk it up. Even with Julius coming on with a running game late in the year we were blowing games on Vinterceptions late in the game.

Somebody, please, give me an "amen brother".

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
JackMagist said:

The Bills with Bledsoe at the helm pulled a semi-decent season out of what started off as a completely abysmal year witha late season charge.

The late season charge was because Bledsoe got out of the way and the offense was strapped to McGahee's back. It is not a coincidence that once the reigns were pulled in and they went with an ultra conservative attack, Bledsoe suddenly because "good" again.

Let's not make it out to be more than it was.

If we are smart, we do the same thing Buffalo did and duplicate what we did with our QB situation in 2003. Limit how much you depend on him. If we don't we are asking for heartache.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Alexander said:
The late season charge was because Bledsoe got out of the way and the offense was strapped to McGahee's back. It is not a coincidence that once the reigns were pulled in and they went with an ultra conservative attack, Bledsoe suddenly because "good" again.

Let's not make it out to be more than it was.

If we are smart, we do the same thing Buffalo did and duplicate what we did with our QB situation in 2003. Limit how much you depend on him. If we don't we are asking for heartache.
Fortunately I think that is exactly what BP has in mind. Drafting MBIII and bringing in A-Train to backup Julius tells me that Parcells is tired of the anemic running game we have had the last two years. Our offense will all start with the running game this year.

With that running game Bledsoe will not be asked to carry the team but he has to potential to take over a game when the other team can just gun for him. It is time to get back to the balanced attack with establishing the run, picking up the occasional 1st down with short to intermediate passes to Key and Witten and striking judiciously with the deep ball that Bledsoe can still throw as well as anyone.