Is Bill Cowher finally respectable in your eyes?

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
I don't view Cowher any differently. I think he has always been an excellent coach except he finally got a decent QB to work with. I think some people place too much importance on a Superbowl ring when evaluating individuals, the same goes for coaches. I don't think Cowher coached a great game yesterday. I don't think he coached any differently that he did. I just think he was lucky to have gotten a better QB and face a Seattle team that self-imploded.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
I don't view Cowher any differently. I think he has always been an excellent coach except he finally got a decent QB to work with. I think some people place too much importance on a Superbowl ring when evaluating individuals, the same goes for coaches. I don't think Cowher coached a great game yesterday. I don't think he coached any differently that he did. I just think he was lucky to have gotten a better QB and face a Seattle team that self-imploded.

I agree. I think Cower has been a very good coach for a long time.

TonyS

Reaction score
I like Cowher. He's one of the reasons I don't hate the Steelers as much as I used to. I'm glad to see the Rooney patience bear some fruit. Cowher has been consistent, but most owners nowadays would've canned him for another coach. Gotta believe there's a bunch of loyalty there between ownership and the coaching staff.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If every coach had 15 years to win a SB...............

Rush 2112

Reaction score
If every owner didn't bring in a new HC with a new system every 3 years.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
since when do you need a SB to be a good coach? that would mean that there are only 30-some legit coaches in the history of the league. that would also mean Barry Switzer was a good coach.

Cowher has always been good.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
He's a good coach who makes some Bonehead decisions some times.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
cowher has always been a good coach.
the rooneys have been good owners.

i still hate the stealers........

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I think it was kind of coll how I remember him crying with his wife and daughter after we beat them 10 years ago, then yesterday I saw them all crying again but for a different reason.

DipChit

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
If every coach had 15 years to win a SB...............

........... they'd have 2 championships in 30 years.

Well, kinda like Landry. ;)

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Cowher is a good coach. However, yesterdays display didn't raise him to an elite status in my mind. He plays the same type of football year in and year out.

He's a great motivator. One of the best, if not thee best. On the side line he could almost "will" you to the next level. He's got more desire than Stalin and a great staff.

He just doesn't have what the Holgrems, Shanahan's, Belichick's,Landrys,Noll's etc. have. They bring the exquisite aspect to the game. Cowher has lost a lot of big games and one more should of been added to that list last night. No coaching in the world could of saved The Hags and Cowhers coaching would not of won that game.

Odd thing is.......IMO, he deserves it.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
Cowher, like him or not, has had his team in contention year in and year out. It was only a matter of time before he finally won a SB.

I hate it that they are now in the 5 ring club, but give Cowher his kudos.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
mr.jameswoods said:
it reaffirmed my belief he's a B-level coach (just above average).

the guy is lucky seattle imploded and the refs favored Pitt or he'd have serious egg on his face.

too many long pass attempts, not enough running, etc.

it highlights players ARE OFTEN TOO STUPID FOR GREAT COACHES.

ie the seattle DOPE who waived for a fair catch (noone was around him) and let the ball roll to the 3. vince lombardi couldn't get thru to a DOPE like that.

MOST NFL PLAYERS ARE TOO DUMB TO BENEFIT FROM GREAT COACHES

Hoov

Reaction score
Lots of cowboy fans on here hate the steelers. steelers are one of my favorite AFC teams, always had great respect for them, and both my brothers are huge steeler fans.

I love cowher as head coach and would love it if he were cowboys coach. I think he's a great coach, thought rothlesberger might blow it for them with that one interception he threw, man that was an awful pass when they could have wrapped things up early.

Im happy for cowher and im also impressed with the way rooney stuck with him these years. im not for the continous coaching merry go round, if the head coach has had 3-4 losing seasons in a row then you have to make a change. But firing good coaches who consistently win and produce quality teams that play good disciplined football because you didnt win the big game is not the way to success, thats just switching out parts and continuously spinning your wheels IMO.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
thats7 said:
Cowher is a good coach. However, yesterdays display didn't raise him to an elite status in my mind. He plays the same type of football year in and year out.

He's a great motivator. One of the best, if not thee best. On the side line he could almost "will" you to the next level. He's got more desire than Stalin and a great staff.

He just doesn't have what the Holgrems, Shanahan's, Belichick's,Landrys,Noll's etc. have. They bring the exquisite aspect to the game. Cowher has lost a lot of big games and one more should of been added to that list last night. No coaching in the world could of saved The Hags and Cowhers coaching would not of won that game.

Odd thing is.......IMO, he deserves it.

I dunno...some see Cowher's style of football as being just as "exquisite" as anybody else's. Plus you can't say they "should" have lost yesterday as they did what it took to get the win. If the Seahawks would have made just a handful of plays, they could have won, but they didn't, and the Steelers did.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
His team almost choked, they wern't ready to have a big game vs a lesser team. If it wasn't for the shoddy Officiating Bill Coward would have lost again.

gbrittain

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy said:
His team almost choked, they wern't ready to have a big game vs a lesser team. If it wasn't for the shoddy Officiating Bill Coward would have lost again.

If it was not for Neil O'Donnell confusing Larry Brown for a Pittsburgh receiver twice, then Bill Cowher beats Jimmy Johnson.

So I dont think your if's count for much.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
If it was not for Neil O'Donnell confusing Larry Brown for a Pittsburgh receiver twice, then Bill Cowher beats Jimmy Johnson.

So I dont think your if's count for much.

Well if Pitt WR would have run the hot rout as they were suppose to O'Donnell would not have been made the scape goat.