Is Bill Cowher finally respectable in your eyes?

DipChit

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
If it was not for Neil O'Donnell confusing Larry Brown for a Pittsburgh receiver twice, then Bill Cowher beats Jimmy Johnson.

So I dont think your if's count for much.

Mind you, Switzer was the coach in that game, not Johnson.

But yeah... Switzer/Johnson.. same diff. ;)

gbrittain

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Well if Pitt WR would have run the hot rout as they were suppose to O'Donnell would not have been made the scape goat.

Whoever the culprit was, my point remains.

gbrittain

Reaction score
DipChit said:

True. The point is he won the game, and very often little separates the loser from the winner.

gbrittain

Reaction score
DipChit said:

BTW my mind is so used to overlooking the fact that Switzer was the coach of a Superbowl winning team. I think about the three Superbowls and my mind goes straight to Jimmy.

I give Jimmy credit for the the three Superbowl wins and Switzer the credit for not beating the 49ers the year before in the NFC championship game.;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
Whoever the culprit was, my point remains.

I agree. I don't hate or like the Steelers to me they are just 1 of 32 team in the league. As for Cowher I think the guy is a very good coach and his players believe in him and what they are trying to do. I think Pitt has been very wise keeping him as their HC and I will say the same for Sea and Holmgren who had been on the hot seat entering the season.

DipChit

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I give Jimmy credit for the the three Superbowl wins and Switzer the credit for not beating the 49ers the year before in the NFC championship game.;)

Oh for sure. Thats easy enough to do.

Kinda like with Troy. When we won the 3 SB's it was because of him. When we lost the last 3 playoff games we played with him at QB.. it was all because of everybody else... heh.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. I don't hate or like the Steelers to me they are just 1 of 32 team in the league. As for Cowher I think the guy is a very good coach and his players believe in him and what they are trying to do. I think Pitt has been very wise keeping him as their HC and I will say the same for Sea and Holmgren who had been on the hot seat entering the season.

You are dead on IMO Dooms.

I find it odd that I am having to defend Pittsburgh and Bill Cowher today. Not a fan of theirs by any means. The facts are Bill Cowher is a good coach. Maybe Bill Cowher is not a great coach, on the other hand maybe he is. Regardless, he has taken two distinctly different Pittsburgh teams to the Superbowl and won one of them and came withing a bad pass/route of winning both of them in the last 10 years.

That has to speak well for Bill Cowher.

gbrittain

Reaction score
DipChit said:
Oh for sure. Thats easy enough to do.

Kinda like with Troy. When we won the 3 SB's it was because of him. When we lost the last 3 playoff games we played with him at QB.. it was all because of everybody else... heh.

You read my mind.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
You are dead on IMO Dooms.

I find it odd that I am having to defend Pittsburgh and Bill Cowher today. Not a fan of theirs by any means. The facts are Bill Cowher is a good coach. Maybe Bill Cowher is not a great coach, on the other hand maybe he is. Regardless, he has taken two distinctly different Pittsburgh teams to the Superbowl and won one of them and came withing a bad pass/route of winning both of them in the last 10 years.

I guess as long as the owner believes in you and your players believe in you it really does not matter what others think. I also think if you ask coaches about some of their best years coaching a team it is not when they win the SB or a championship but when they exceed the expectation entering a season. I think Tom Landry best year as a coach was the 75 season where Preston Pearson and Newhouse made up our back field, we clearly were not the best team in the league but we exceeded what was expected out of Dallas.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
gbrittain said:

I find it odd too, especially considering the fact that many fans are upset nation wide not just Seattle and Dallas fans. The terrible Officiating is a National story, alot of people seen what happened and know it wasn't right. What ever happened to playoff football where you were supposed to "let them play"? This was the worst SuperBowl Officiating Crew since the Indy Cowboys debacle some 30 odd years ago. If you can't see that then you must be a Steelers fans.

gbrittain

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy said:
I find it odd too, especially considering the fact that many fans are upset nation wide not just Seattle and Dallas fans. The terrible Officiating is a National story, alot of people seen what happened and know it wasn't right. What ever happened to playoff football where you were supposed to "let them play"? This was the worst SuperBowl Officiating Crew since the Indy Cowboys debacle some 30 odd years ago. If you can't see that then you must be a Steelers fans.

I will not even dignify an answer to you calling me a Steelers fan.

Ok my bad. Seattle was clearly the better team. Seattle actually won. Note to self: Put * next to Superbowl XL.

Cowher sucks, Holmgren reigns.

Yawn...

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I will not even dignify an answer to you calling me a Steelers fan.

Ok my bad. Seattle was clearly the better team. Seattle actually won. Note to self: Put * next to Superbowl XL.

Cowher sucks, Holmgren reigns.

Yawn...

Me personally, I have always liked Cowher and thought he was good coach, not a great one though. But anyone that can't see that Refs played big role in Pitts win, then you have to be biased fan there. No offense.

Having said that, I was glad for Bettis and Cowher for winning one finally. But it does put a huge question mark on their victory, since, all the questionable calls came at key moments, where the non call would have swung the game decidedly in Seattle favor.

And I hate it when people say, you got to overcome officiating. Thats such a cliche'. Its one thing if it is regular season, but in SB, you expect two great teams and a single play can change the outcome of the game. Thats not a game where you can overcome poor officiating, especially multiple calls.

Although, again, I have to say, Holmgren did screw up with some of decisions in the two minute drill, whether it was him or Hassleback, there was a major screwup. So they still had a chance even with poor officiating, and Seattle didn't get done.

Anyway, let the Stee(a)lers enjoy the victory. I am happy for Bettis and Cowher, but hate the fact steelers won though still.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I dunno...some see Cowher's style of football as being just as "exquisite" as anybody else's. Plus you can't say they "should" have lost yesterday as they did what it took to get the win. If the Seahawks would have made just a handful of plays, they could have won, but they didn't, and the Steelers did.

They had more points at the end of the game. Smashing the ball with the run game and having Hines run until he gets open is as street ball as it gets.
The Hags did everything they could to give it to Pittsburgh.........

1.Horrid clock management at the end of both halfs
2.Dropped(critical)passes. Stevens did not walk the walk.
3.Bad , bad audibles at the LOS by Hasselbeck.
4. Refs. They call 'em like they see 'em that's the way it goes. What I don't care for is a group of officials dictating a game as was the case last night. Let them play ball.

I couldn't care who won for the record. Cowher deserves at least one before his time comes to an end. Bettis has worked his arse off. I think Holgrem is a pretty good coach and Seattle has never been there. Either way was fine with me.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
He's a good coach who makes some Bonehead decisions some times.

How about when Ben threw that INT and they ran it back and eventually scored... Cowher would have surely been the GOAT coach of the year!

Baaaaaahhhhhh-eh-eh-eh!!!

Snaggletooth

Reaction score
I respect him. But I would respect him a lot more had he kissed the refs the same way he kissed his wife after the game.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
The Steelers have been a very good team for quite a few years recently. You can't time your run, and they have been knocked out by the Pat's the previous couple of years weren't they? Just like us and the 49'ers. SF was a good team while we were having our run....if we weren't having our run in the early 90's, is there any doubt that they would have won more Superbowls?

Cowher has been a very good coach since he's been in the league.

Some idiot said that he hasn't won a championship at ANY level previously....like that meant something.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Despite the circumstances of the win, you have to give props to Cowher....simply because he's been with the same team over a DECADE now in an era where the average lifespan of an NFL coach is what 3 YEARS!!

I hate the Steelers, but good for Cowher and his family! He was criticized year after year for choking and not being able to win the big game. But then again the patriots had something to do with that in recent years.