Is Brian Stewart in over his head?

sessman

Reaction score
He made no changes. Why does Ware line up in the same spot everytime.(Over the left tackle) The right tackle suppose to be the weaker pass protector, why not play him more on that side.(less chipping) We drafted a corner in the first round, picked up pacman, and gave Newman and Hamlin contracts and we still play a soft zone. Do we even practice tackling?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
sessman;2296918 said:
He made no changes. Why does Ware line up in the same spot everytime.(Over the left tackle) The right tackle suppose to be the weaker pass protector, why not play him more on that side.(less chipping) We drafted a corner in the first round, picked up pacman, and gave Newman and Hamlin contracts and we still play a soft zone. Do we even practice tackling?

I refuse to believe he's in over his head. He has a defensive minded head coach overseeing him. To me, the entire defensive coaching staff and Wade are accountable. The talent is on the field, but we got outschemed and outcoached.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
sessman;2296918 said:

Well put it this way this defense looks like the same defense that zimmer ran and he has more talent to work with than zimmer

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
First Zimmer, then Parcells, now this?

Players are paid to perform. Period.

While I do not agree with everything we do on defense, players need to execute. They did a poor job of that Sunday (just like the poor job done coaching)

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
GoinForSix;2296928 said:
Dom Capers. Never thought I'd say that.
funny in the offseason when the Capers to Dallas rumors were being floated around i was excited and saying it needs to happen to have him replace Stewart. Stewart just he has a philosophy that mirrors Bill Parcells way too much that just i mean if we were just gonna run the same crap that we did when Parcells was here well then we were better off keeping him. ok not really but seriously its da same crap!

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I have seen greg switch with Demarcus a couple times, I think the coaches give the players some freedoms there.

This lost is on the players more than the coaches, that's just how I see it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Not sure, I dont think so.

What does bother me though is we have 3 coaches whose specialty is the secondary.

and the worst part of this team is the secondary. It has been for awhile and that doesnt look to be changing any time soon. And we dont even have roy to kick around this week.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
I think it's obvious why Jerry picked up Campo and went after Capers.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I guess nobody knows for sure, but if Brian Stewart is calling the plays and setting the game plans, Wade needs to step in and re-assume those roles. The defense looked more aggressive and the coverages were tighter last yr, with far lesser players in the seconday. I know WP was doing basically everything then because he said so on numerous occassions.

If WP is running things as he did last yr, there's a bigger issue.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs;2296979 said:
Not sure, I dont think so.

What does bother me though is we have 3 coaches whose specialty is the secondary.

and the worst part of this team is the secondary. It has been for awhile and that doesnt look to be changing any time soon. And we dont even have roy to kick around this week.

Yeah, it seems to me that this team's achilles' heel (among several) is teams that employ the short-passing game.

And to me that seems a result of the zone coverage they've predominantly played.

I think they need to rely on the players they're paying big bucks to and using premium draft picks on.

Let the cornerbacks mix in some man-to-man coverages to give the pass rush more time to get to opposing QB's and give quarterbacks more to think about.

I'd rather get beat by being agressively than get beat playing passively.

ddh33

Reaction score
I wonder if the talent is limiting the gameplan more than fans want to admit?

Greg Ellis is limited. He doesn't need to be going backwards very much. He's just not a versatile player. He doesn't have a ton of burst either. He's a technician who is best served going after the QB, and he benefits a ton from playing opposite Ware.

Ware is a freak. He can do anything from anywhere.

The middle of the defense does not get much push. Ratliff and Tank are penetrators, but they don't hold up as well against the run. That puts a little more pressure on your ILBs to stop the run first and foremost, and probably limits them in regards to blitzes. Your DEs aren't really two-dimensional either. They play the run and that's about it...

The corners are talented, but the coaches don't seem to have a ton of confidence in a guy like Henry to run with receivers. That limits them some. Pacman forgets his technique, so that scares coaches. Jenkins is a rookie, so that scares them. Newman is coming back from injury and got toasted yesterday.

I think getting Spencer back and completely involved will help a lot. I think the secondary needs to be shored up, and some of that is scheme related. But unlike some people, I have confidence that Wade will gets things looking better and better as the season goes along.

I actually think the quality of this offense has been a crutch for this defense though. When you know your offense is going to give you 25 points, it's safer to play a bending defense. I think Wade has made that calculation, and it's mostly worked. I'd like to see the defense turn up the heat and take some more chances though, knowing that the offense can bail them out if it doesn't work.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
stasheroo;2297025 said:
Yeah, it seems to me that this team's achilles' heel (among several) is teams that employ the short-passing game.

And to me that seems a result of the zone coverage they've predominantly played.

I think they need to rely on the players they're paying big bucks to and using premium draft picks on.

Let the cornerbacks mix in some man-to-man coverages to give the pass rush more time to get to opposing QB's and give quarterbacks more to think about.

I'd rather get beat by being agressively than get beat playing passively.
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

It's what ive been trying to say!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I wonder why his Defense worked so good against the Packers if he has no abilities whatsoever?

I do think he is on the hot seat and so is Wade, because they were brought here to fix the Defense, but let's not go overboard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2297048 said:
I wonder why his Defense worked so good against the Packers if he has no abilities whatsoever?

That's the million dollar question! One thing I can think of is that the controlled Green Bay's run game better and therefore were able to focus on the pass. Given the Commanders' balanced attack, they didn't know what to expect.

Hostile said:
I do think he is on the hot seat and so is Wade, because they were brought here to fix the Defense, but let's not go overboard.

I'm sure they have until season's end to get things fixed, but the returns so far aren't that great.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Hostile;2297048 said:

One difference was that we were better at time of possession against Green Bay. I haven't seen the Cowboys have such short drives, with lots of 3 & outs, or only one first down, in quite some time. Sticking with the running game would have helped. Our defense was on the field for 38+ minutes...way too long for any defense.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
This defense really doesnt look any better then last years. Both years we made JC look like Montana, just sitting back there as comfortable as possible dinking and dunking us to death. Something is wrong, it is either the scheme or the players.