Is Brian Stewart in over his head?

30yrheel

Reaction score
somebody's obviously in over their head. why does this defense suck so bad?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
30yrheel;2297141 said:
somebody's obviously in over their head. why does this defense suck so bad?

honestly, there is nothing to suggest that we suck.

30yrheel

Reaction score
stealth;2297149 said:
honestly, there is nothing to suggest that we suck.

well, i think most people would agree that we sucked yesterday. portis and moss with a 120+ yards each, can't get off the field when we need the ball back. that is the definition of sucks. whether it's the players or the coaches, it sucked.

Nexx

Reaction score
Hostile;2297048 said:
I wonder why his Defense worked so good against the Packers if he has no abilities whatsoever?

I do think he is on the hot seat and so is Wade, because they were brought here to fix the Defense, but let's not go overboard.

i know we held them in check when it came to touchdowns, but i was just as frustrated that game watching rogers pretty much take the team up and down the field with relative ease. main difference is that they couldnt run the ball in the red zone against the cowboys. otherwise, its been the same crap for the most part all season, team will and can move at will against the cowboys between the 20's.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
30yrheel;2297169 said:
well, i think most people would agree that we sucked yesterday. portis and moss with a 120+ yards each, can't get off the field when we need the ball back. that is the definition of sucks. whether it's the players or the coaches, it sucked.

I am gonna wait till we drop 3 in a row till I call us a bad team. To me, bad team=sucks.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2296949 said:
First Zimmer, then Parcells, now this?

Players are paid to perform. Period.

While I do not agree with everything we do on defense, players need to execute. They did a poor job of that Sunday (just like the poor job done coaching)

Yes I agree..The coaches can not do the tackling ...Thes guys miss the QB on everysack..make a damn tackle for the love of g-d...really poor display yesterday on D

30yrheel

Reaction score
stealth;2297179 said:
I am gonna wait till we drop 3 in a row till I call us a bad team. To me, bad team=sucks.

cleveland- good game against bad team
philly- good offense, bad (sucky) defense, really lucky to win
Green bay- good win against good? (now 2-2) team
skins- bad loss against a mediocre team we're 12 points?, at home favorites, who had only barely beat NO and Arizona at their home

yesterday, we sucked in all aspects of the game, not every game so far.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
sessman;2296918 said:
He made no changes. Why does Ware line up in the same spot everytime.(Over the left tackle) The right tackle suppose to be the weaker pass protector, why not play him more on that side.(less chipping) We drafted a corner in the first round, picked up pacman, and gave Newman and Hamlin contracts and we still play a soft zone. Do we even practice tackling?

The last time I saw so many weak, upper torso "tackling" was at a Gray Y football game when we steamrollered the Bowie Elementary pee-wees.

Yes, duh, Stewart is way over his head.

The disturbing thing is that Zoners here seem to have more football smarts than Stew.
If only they could channel their defensive ideas to Stew, who needs ideas and clearly belongs in the CFL or some podunk college.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I dont think it's so much Stewart. It's just the scheme that Wade has run his entire career, and his pupil, Stewart, is just employing what he's learned from and still being coached by Wade. I dont buy for a second that Stewart is doing his own thing by any means. This is not to absolve Stewart in any way but lets be realistic, Wade is calling the shots defensively. Otherwise, why is he here??? There's no way Jerry would allow an unproven rookie coach take over a defense for a team that he believes should win the Super Bowl.

Fmart322

Reaction score
YES.

Just YES. This team is loaded and there's no reason to get pushed around. Give *Jim Johnson of the eagles this group and you would see things happen.

*Not saying Jim Johnson is a great DC but the guy can coach D. He always get more out of his players.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
ddh33;2297033 said:
Greg Ellis is limited. He doesn't need to be going backwards very much. He's just not a versatile player. He doesn't have a ton of burst either. He's a technician who is best served going after the QB, and he benefits a ton from playing opposite Ware.
Probably half the people on this board have equal or better agility than Ellis. It's a complete joke to have him in coverage of any kind.

His value is in lining up and rushing the passer. It concerns me greatly that Spencer hasn't been unable to unseat Ellis. Perhaps he would have if he hadn't been hurt.

I'm beginning to wonder if this team hasn't blown 2 #1 draft choices on OLBs that aren't very good. I hope Spencer proves that not to be the case.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
this is Wade's D

he may have given Stewart more freedom this year, but it's the same D and coverage being called again

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Kangaroo;2296947 said:
Well put it this way this defense looks like the same defense that zimmer ran and he has more talent to work with than zimmer

I am just as disappointed and angry by the D's performance yesterday, but this is crazy talk, with a capital "C".

Zimmer did not have this kind of production EVER. Wade's D can be soft, like Zimmer's at times, but his front 7 is much more aggressive.

The biggest similarity is the D's emphasis on zone coverage and reluctance to go to man, even when the situation so obviously calls for it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Fmart322;2297425 said:
YES.

Just YES. This team is loaded and there's no reason to get pushed around. Give *Jim Johnson of the eagles this group and you would see things happen.

*Not saying Jim Johnson is a great DC but the guy can coach D. He always get more out of his players.

Jim Johnson IS a great DC. Wade was also considered a great DC.

Wade may need to get more involved in the actual playcalling and in-game adjustments, if he isn't already.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2297440 said:
Probably half the people on this board have equal or better agility than Ellis. It's a complete joke to have him in coverage of any kind.

His value is in lining up and rushing the passer. It concerns me greatly that Spencer hasn't been unable to unseat Ellis. Perhaps he would have if he hadn't been hurt.
I'm beginning to wonder if this team hasn't blown 2 #1 draft choices on OLBs that aren't very good. I hope Spencer proves that not to be the case.

Both Ellis and Ware were out of the game at various times and Spencer did squat. I hope it is b/c he is just rusty, but he was not that productive when healthy last year either.

Dallas needs to invest in another OLB, or THREE, b/c if Ware ever goes down, this D will be MUCH WORSE. Unlike the Chargers, there is no speed pass rusher waiting in the wings.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
the thing that most gets me about everything is that the reason we all wanted Parcells gone was because he was way too conservative all around especially on defense. So with bringing Wade n Stewart in we were supposed to fix that and have the type of 3-4 D that the Chargers and Patriots use. Yet we are using the same defense of playng lame soft zone coverage that we used under Parcells... what happened? lol

Mash

Reaction score
This D is too passive.......plain and simple

We can complain all we want about our offense.....but in reality.....it has been our offense that has carried this team the past year and a half all on the backs of a old but very good WR and a FA QB that has started 2 years.

The money and draft picks have been spent on this defense.....players like Spencer....Newman....Hamlin.....Ware.....Thomas....etc have to lead.

Instead....we get pushed around....we play soft.....we have no identity.

Coaches? scheme?......I don't know.........but if this team is goin to win a championship........this defense needs to step up.....its time for the players to force a 3 and out and get their rests and stop depending on the offense to give them a breather.

Im tired watching aggressive teams like tonights game Steelers vs the Ravens play aggressive......watching opposing teams like the Eagles...Skins....Packers man us up and dare to beat us......where is that attitude here?

Are we going to continue playing a soft defense and hope the opposing teams breaks down and kicks FG's?

IMHO....I rather fail being aggressive.