Is Brockers Too Risky at 14?

SMCowboy

Reaction score
stasheroo;4522218 said:
You're going to argue over 3 spots?!?!?

And where is this magic 'pass rush upside' you speak of?

Is it the same 'upside' that draft busts of the past 'had' that never materialized?

DeCastro is good at both parts of his job - not just one.

Brockers is great at run stuffing - the other part of his job? Not so much.

I'll take the guy who does all of his his job great, not hope and pray that the guy I took with my #14 overall pick becomes something he's not.

Brocker's is only coming out after his Sophomore season. Name me one DT, that has posted good sack numbers as a Sophomore. Brockers is already great at playing the run, and he shows the athletic ability to be able to rush the passer he just hasn't done it yet.

A great run stuffing DE, has the same impact as a great guard. The difference is, Michael Brockers is also has the potential to be a great pass rusher as well as run stuffer. That potential makes him more valuable than a guard.

btcutter

Reaction score
SMCowboy;4522284 said:
Brocker's is only coming out after his Sophomore season. Name me one DT, that has posted good sack numbers as a Sophomore. Brockers is already great at playing the run, and he shows the athletic ability to be able to rush the passer he just hasn't done it yet.

A great run stuffing DE, has the same impact as a great guard. The difference is, Michael Brockers is also has the potential to be a great pass rusher as well as run stuffer. That potential makes him more valuable than a guard.

Pass rushing skills isn't something you can teach. You have it or your don't. Why do you think every year they are in such high demand.

He's strong but so what. I can find "strong DE" in other rounds. I want a JJ Watts type at pick #14.

I am not picking based on POTENTIAL. I need someone who have done it at pick 14.

A great run stuffing DE....you mean Spears?! We got that already and we want MORE pass rush out of him.

Coples at DT as sophmore posted great sack numbers..and very good numbers as a junior too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMCowboy;4522284 said:

I don't particularly care.

I'm not interested in 'potential' at the #14 overall pick. I want the player I know can do it, not the player I hope can do it.

Again the dreaded 'P' word, the one that gets a normal GM fired.

I'm don't want 'potential' at #14 overall, I want performance, give me that 'P' word.

DeCastro does all parts of his job well, not just one.

Not the 'same impact' in my opinion, not by a longshot.

I can only hope the team feels the same way.

Woods

Reaction score
SMCowboy;4522284 said:

specifically what athletic ability are you referring to in terms of being a good pass rusher?

his explosion metrics? SS? Cone?

I'm really curious.

Brooksey

Reaction score
CATCH17;4521260 said:
The thing is if we don't take him @ 14 than the Eagles will probably take him at 15.

I think he is probably worth a top 15 pick because of the upside and position he plays.

Honestly though I think this guy is going to be another Chris Canty.

He's worth a top 15 pick but you think he is Chris Canty? Plus didn't you say he's our third option ahead of Decastro? Get your story straight, dude.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
brooksey1;4522491 said:
He's worth a top 15 pick but you think he is Chris Canty? Plus didn't you say he's our third option ahead of Decastro? Get your story straight, dude.

My story is straight.

I personally feel like he will be Chris Canty. Hopefully im wrong and he will be John Henderson if we select him.

I do feel like he is a top 15 pick and I do feel like he is currently our 3rd option in front of Decastro.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think the best case scenerio you're looking at with Brockers is Kevin Williams. Really the only metric Kevin Williams scored well in was the Combine was 40 yard dash, and he was running about 20 lbs. lighter than Brockers. Brockers was significantly better in short shuttle and 3 cone.

Worst case for Brockers? Every LSU 3-4 DE taken the last 6 years.

Ren

Reaction score
I will rage if we pass up the best OG prospect in years for a guy who might one day develop some pass rushing skills, got a feeling that's exactly what we'll end up doing though

Brooksey

Reaction score
CATCH17;4522496 said:
My story is straight.

I personally feel like he will be Chris Canty. Hopefully im wrong and he will be John Henderson if we select him.

I do feel like he is a top 15 pick and I do feel like he is currently our 3rd option in front of Decastro.

If you feel like he will be Chris Canty then he should not be a top 15 pick.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4522498 said:
I think the best case scenerio you're looking at with Brockers is Kevin Williams. Really the only metric Kevin Williams scored well in was the Combine was 40 yard dash, and he was running about 20 lbs. lighter than Brockers. Brockers was significantly better in short shuttle and 3 cone.

The problem with this is he's the worst prospect of all those high-end LSU 3-4 DEs, so I don't know that turning out like the rest is his worst case scenario. I think his worst case scenario is he's limited to a 30% rotation guy, but only that because teams couldn't psychologically commit to dumping him after spending a 1st.

Brooksey

Reaction score
CATCH17;4521465 said:
I feel like Brockers is a sure thing to be good at controlling the LOS and stopping the run. The huge upside with him is people who think he can rush the passer.

I like taking guys like him who are solid with huge boom potential. Like a Demarcus Ware or like the Giants took with JPP.

I don't see "Boom" potential like Demarcus Ware or JPP but plenty of "bust" potential. More likely he will be an average D-lineman, we have way more needs, he's not Ndamukong Suh.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4522498 said:

Williams was better at the broad and vertical, though. And 4.81 at 304 is pretty darn impressive. Plus, combine prep is better today than it was even 10 years ago.

Actually, Williams sounds more like Poe to me.

I dunno, I wouldn't absolutely hate Brockers, but I'd be very wary of counting on a guy to lose a bunch of weight and get more athletic. Especially as young as he is, he shouldn't be fat anyway.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4522582 said:
Plus, combine prep is better today than it was even 10 years ago.

I don't want to sound like a Brockers apologist, because I don't like him at 14 ... but one thing about his draft prep. He's attending CES (Competetive Edge Sports) Performance in the Dallas Branch and working out with Jenkins. A recently released little e-book (it's really more like a long article) by Bobby Derren called "Preparing for the NFL" details his experience attending CES in the Atlanta branch. At CES they did a lot of strength and speed training, but it was more functional stuff for the real world rather than prepping for Combine measurements. He worked out with the defensive line group with guys like Vinny Curry. CES has hired DL "guru" Pete Jenkins to work out with their DL prospects at their branches, and Jenkins actually has the players mostly focusing on football drills rather than Combine drills. He made them spend a lot of time doing film study and positional breakdown for their DL positions. He wanted the players to focus on impressing teams during during positional drills during their personal workouts, because that's what he paid the most attention to when he was in the NFL moreso than the Combine.

FWIW, Jenkins raved about Curry in the book, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles took him in the 2nd.