Is coaching overrated?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like 8-8 ?
If he won so many games he'd still be a Cowboy.

Like more games than anyone other than Belichick or Payton his last four years.

He was HC for ten years. He deserved to be replaced, but he was and is a good coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Duh!
You have this crazy idea that Garrett is never to blame for his own shortcomings. He's never to blame for his own incompetence, it's ALWAYS, ALWAYS someone else's fault. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Is that how it is with you as well? Nothing has ever been your fault, someone else is ALWAYS to blame? :facepalm:
Not at all. Garrett certainly bares his shoulder of responsibility for his shortcomings in coaching but to place the entire blame on Garrett is what I’m deflecting.

And for those who want to hold Garrett responsible for 10 years of blame that decision is ultimately on Jerry.

I have defended Garrett for I believe he’s done as well as his experience and ability have allowed him to flourish in this dysfunctional organization.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

He was HC for ten years. He deserved to be replaced, but he was and is a good coach.
Yea, it’s hypocritical how some fans defend Dak’s winning record these last few years but if you mention Garrett’s same record then he’s a loser. Typical agenda driven rhetoric.

And I agree . It was time for Garrett to go. Regardless the results the atmosphere had become too toxic.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Only to Owners who have not been in a championship game for 24 years or more.

kskboys

Reaction score
That was part of it, but Garrett was so hard headed he never learned from his own mistakes because he doesn't believe he makes any, even when he's losing. LOL

There is no way to know how JG would've done had he gone through the ropes as it should've been done. As OC and as HC he was put in positions he was not ready for. Maybe he never would've been, but this way was simply highly unlikely to work.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Five of ten years he went .500 or less: 8-8 4 times, 4-12 once and never even sniffed an NFC championship game in 10 years despite the fact he's had the talent to get there more than once.
But we agree on one thing, "He deserved to be replaced."

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Five of ten years he went .500 or less: 8-8 4 times, 4-12 once and never even sniffed an NFC championship game in 10 years despite the fact he's had the talent to get there more than once.
But we agree on one thing, "He deserved to be replaced."

With all that factored in, he still won a lot more games than most of the coaches he was competing with once he assembled his team. And he did it with two different QBs, in probably one of the two or three toughest jobs in the NFL, given the owner and the distraction factors.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
With all that factored in, he still won a lot more games than most of the coaches he was competing with once he assembled his team. And he did it with two different QBs, in probably one of the two or three toughest jobs in the NFL, given the owner and the distraction factors.

So in one post you stated "He deserved to be replaced", yet in the next post you're bragging on him for his winning ways.
So just out of curiosity, why in your opinion did he "deserve to be replaced"?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So in one post you stated "He deserved to be replaced", yet in the next post you're bragging on him for his winning ways.
So just out of curiosity, why in your opinion did he "deserve to be replaced"?

He failed to qualify for the playoffs with a very good roster in a contract year. That gets you replaced almost 100% of the time in the NFL.

And, to be clear, there’s nothing inconsistent about acknowledging that he wins a lot of games and is a good coach and that he didn’t earn another extension. For the record, I said as much before last season started. Just like McCarthy this season: the expectation should be that we’re competing for the NFC right now. If we’re not, something is wrong.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
He failed to qualify for the playoffs with a very good roster in a contract year. That gets you replaced almost 100% of the time in the NFL.

And, to be clear, there’s nothing inconsistent about acknowledging that he wins a lot of games and is a good coach and that he didn’t earn another extension. For the record, I said as much before last season started. Just like McCarthy this season: the expectation should be that we’re competing for the NFC right now. If we’re not, something is wrong.

I wasn't trying to trap you with your words, I was just seeking to understand where you were coming from.
In fact for me, failing to make the playoffs one time in a contract year would not be enough for me to replace the guy unless I had other reasons as well. Like you said if he had a good team and failed to make the grade, granted it would at least get my attention.

Nevertheless, my reasoning is based on a more cumulative effect. Garrett made too many boneheaded mistakes too many times over the years and lost games because of it, yet seemingly never learned from it.
I think he's a smart guy, just not football smart. I liked him when he came to Dallas, but the more I watched him, the more it went downhill.
Personally I would've fired him a long time ago. I believe in giving a guy a fair chance, but Garrett wore out my patience long before now.

Anyway I was just curious about your reasoning.