Is coaching overrated?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I understand but that’s merely an opinion.
A well thought out opinion from someone that saw all of Garrett’s games. Most knowledgeable Dallas fans know Garrett should have been fired long before he was. It’s a shame we wasted so many years with Garrett as the HC!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A well thought out opinion from someone that saw all of Garrett’s games. Most knowledgeable Dallas fans know Garrett should have been fired long before he was. It’s a shame we wasted so many years with Garrett as the HC!
He should have never been hired. We’ve wasted many more years with the one who hired him. Garrett was merely a product of the dysfunction not its cause.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The difference in you and I is I’m not placing the entire blame on Garrett. I think there were several contributing factors all of which led to the horrid sequence. Is the HC ultimately responsible? Of course.

I'm not placing "the ENTIRE" blame on Garrett. Garrett was not the swinging gate, Chaz Green was. That's on Green.
But Garrett WAS the person who did nothing about it for 3/4 of the game! That's on Garrett and Garrett alone.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
He should have never been hired. We’ve wasted many more years with the one who hired him. Garrett was merely a product of the dysfunction not its cause.

Even IF like you say Garrett was a product of and not the cause of the dysfunction, Garrett was a perrfect fit with that dysfunction!
In fact, Garrett perpetuated it! LOL
That's why it took so long for Jerry to get rid of him.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett is a good coach. He had more success than most. I know most of you can’t accept that simple fact, but there it is.

I also know many of you secretly suspect it’s the case, because I see you backpedaling on the actual quality of the roster to try to make some padding for when an actual Superbowl winning HC gets his shot with a good roster in Dallas. Because you rightfully suspect what’s going to happen.

And the more emotional you get about it, the more it just reinforces that it’s the truth. Coaching matters. It’s not all that matters. To win it all, you need it all: coaching, players, matchups, officiating, a lack of distractions, and some luck.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Garrett is a good coach. He had more success than most. I know most of you can’t accept that simple fact, but there it is.
I also know many of you secretly suspect it’s the case, because I see you backpedaling on the actual quality of the roster to try to make some padding for when an actual Superbowl winning HC gets his shot with a good roster in Dallas. Because you rightfully suspect what’s going to happen. And the more emotional you get about it, the more it just reinforces that it’s the truth.
Coaching matters. It’s not all that matters. To win it all, you need it all: coaching, players, matchups, officiating, a lack of distractions, and some luck.

Excuse me for a moment so I can be emotional...…..:laugh::lmao::lmao2:
There, I'm OK now. :D

You're right about one thing; Coaching matters, and that's the part we were missing.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Even IF like you say Garrett was a product of and not the cause of the dysfunction, Garrett was a perrfect fit with that dysfunction!
In fact, Garrett perpetuated it! LOL
That's why it took so long for Jerry to get rid of him.
Who’s fault was that?

kskboys

Reaction score

I also know many of you secretly suspect it’s the case, because I see you backpedaling on the actual quality of the roster to try to make some padding for when an actual Superbowl winning HC gets his shot with a good roster in Dallas. Because you rightfully suspect what’s going to happen.

And the more emotional you get about it, the more it just reinforces that it’s the truth. Coaching matters. It’s not all that matters. To win it all, you need it all: coaching, players, matchups, officiating, a lack of distractions, and some luck.
Garrett is a bad coach. I don't know why you cannot accept that fact!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Well said.

Garrett never had a chance. He was handed his HC position way before he was ready, and then hamstrung by a terrible GM.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett is a bad coach. I don't know why you cannot accept that fact!!!!!!

Probably because he assembles good teams and then wins games with them at a higher rate than most coaches do.

kskboys

Reaction score
Probably because he assembles good teams and then wins games with them at a higher rate than most coaches do.
Not really. The GM assembles the team, so in this case it's Will McClay assembling the teams.

Using only wins to evaluate a HC is a very shallow evaluation. Tons more to it than that.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

Sorry, but I stopped reading after your first 5 words.

Good, for someone who NEVER won a divisional round playoff game in 10 years, and 2 of those years his team was talented enough to be the #1 seed in the NFC. He was below average for the amount of talent he had!!!!

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Who’s fault was that?

Duh!
You have this crazy idea that Garrett is never to blame for his own shortcomings. He's never to blame for his own incompetence, it's ALWAYS, ALWAYS someone else's fault. Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Is that how it is with you as well? Nothing has ever been your fault, someone else is ALWAYS to blame? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Good, for someone who NEVER won a divisional round playoff game in 10 years, and 2 of those years his team was talented enough to be the #1 seed in the NFC. He was below average for the amount of talent he had!!!!
Yup, ol' 8-8.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Well said.

Garrett never had a chance. He was handed his HC position way before he was ready, and then hamstrung by a terrible GM.

That was part of it, but Garrett was so hard headed he never learned from his own mistakes because he doesn't believe he makes any, even when he's losing. LOL

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don’t apologize. I don’t expect you to change your mind at this point. It doesn’t change the facts, though.

And he had that talent for a reason.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Don’t apologize. I don’t expect you to change your mind at this point. It doesn’t change the facts, though.

And he had that talent for a reason.

Too bad he didn't know what to do with it. :(