Is coaching overrated?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would say Green’s performance was one of the worst displays of offensive tackle play in NFL history AND Garrett’s coaching performance was the WORST! I was yelling at the TV the whole friggin game, “ help Green “, but it never came until the game was basically over.

During the heat of the game some fans, dumb fans, might have given Garrett a pass during the 1st half, but when there were no adjustments at halftime it was completely inexcusable.
I never gave him a pass. Horrible adjustment by entire coaching staff along with horrible backup LT , etc. A horrid team effort . The games balance was never in question.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we are going to find out this year with Bellichik and Brady split.
Mcarthy not getting any help from free agency from Cowboys front office. He cannot make chicken salad out of chicken ship.

When all goes well it's the players doing.
When the ship is sinking its the coaching that is at fault.
This is how our fanbase (not all) views our team.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You really believe we had any chance of winning that game ?
Before the game started of course I thought we had a decent chance to win that game. After the first five minutes and I saw how Garrett was letting one player destroy our offense, I could see we had no chance, if Garrett did not make any adjustments to help Chaz Green.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Reality check incoming! JG took a lot of blame and this roster has been completely over rated IMO. Can’t wait to see the excuses when MM doesn’t have a HOF QB.

Can't speak for MM, little early for that. But the talent level of his roster had little to do with all the criticism of Garrett, he personally earned that criticism. Nepotism is the only thing that kept Garrett around so long.

aria

Reaction score
Can't speak for MM, little early for that. But the talent level of his roster had little to do with all the criticism of Garrett, he personally earned that criticism. Nepotism is the only thing that kept Garrett around so long.
He did for sure but there were plenty of losses that were due to the over rated “talent” and not the coaching. JG couldn’t make FG’s. JG couldn’t stop the Ewok from fumbling or Dak from missing wide open receivers. JG couldn’t make Cooper stop dropping passes.

I don’t care who was calling plays last season, or for many seasons before that, this team is poorly built and over hyped. Now we lose some of our best players and the same people that talked about how talented we are/were now act like it’s no big deal and those players are easily replaceable.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
He did for sure but there were plenty of losses that were due to the over rated “talent” and not the coaching. JG couldn’t make FG’s. JG couldn’t stop the Ewok from fumbling or Dak from missing wide open receivers. JG couldn’t make Cooper stop dropping passes.

I don’t care who was calling plays last season, or for many seasons before that, this team is poorly built and over hyped. Now we lose some of our best players and the same people that talked about how talented we are/were now act like it’s no big deal and those players are easily replaceable.

"JG couldn’t make FG’s".
Neither could our kicker. LOL

The dropped passes and fumbles may not necessarily be lack of talent. I might be wrong, but a lot of that looked like slop that appeared to be tolerated by the HC. Granted repeatedly throwing behind receivers running a crossing route is clearly on the QB.
I think the defense was definitely over hyped by some.
I have hopes that McCarthy will get rid of the lax attitude that fed the sloppy play last year.
And it worries me too about the good players we lost. Hopefully we can finally get a decent draft for the defense. If so, maybe we can see some improvement this year.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Another thought I had was I think Garrett knew he was on the way out, and perhaps his attitude got a little sloppy so the players did too, like all the dropped passes, fumbles, etc.
Just food for thought.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Before the game started of course I thought we had a decent chance to win that game. After the first five minutes and I saw how Garrett was letting one player destroy our offense, I could see we had no chance, if Garrett did not make any adjustments to help Chaz Green.
Green was obviously outmatched. We had no answer and the game was basically over. And our season was over with Smith and Elliott out.

Blaming it all on Garrett was simply an easy out for fans. Especially those who were already targeting him. There was much blame to go around.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep

Coaches always get too much credit or blame. But I understand the buck must stop somewhere.

Fans don’t want to hold the talent as responsible unless if they’re fumbling snaps or throwing interceptions to end a game. Very lazy analysis by fringe or highlight fans as I call them.

aria

Reaction score
"JG couldn’t make FG’s".
Neither could our kicker. LOL

The dropped passes and fumbles may not necessarily be lack of talent. I might be wrong, but a lot of that looked like slop that appeared to be tolerated by the HC. Granted repeatedly throwing behind receivers running a crossing route is clearly on the QB.
I think the defense was definitely over hyped by some.
I have hopes that McCarthy will get rid of the lax attitude that fed the sloppy play last year.
And it worries me too about the good players we lost. Hopefully we can finally get a decent draft for the defense. If so, maybe we can see some improvement this year.
Yeah man, I’m not digging this off season at all with the players we’ve lost vs who we’ve added so far. I’m even more pessimistic about this season than last, hopefully the coaching change will help balance out the players that have left.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Jerry Jones thinks coaching is overrated .......... so that should tell you all you need to know.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Green was obviously outmatched. We had no answer and the game was basically over. And our season was over with Smith and Elliott out.

Blaming it all on Garrett was simply an easy out for fans. Especially those who were already targeting him. There was much blame to go around.
Regardless of anything else that happened during that game it was INEXCUSABLE for Garrett to leave Chaz Green on an island for the majority of the game. You say we had no answer! Bullshi_! Garrett had no answer. Any coach with have a brain would have seen Green was getting beaten badly on every play. He needed help, and Garrett either didn’t see it, or was to stupid to give him help. Either way, dumbest coaching EVER!!!!!!!!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Yep

Coaches always get too much credit or blame. But I understand the buck must stop somewhere.

Fans don’t want to hold the talent as responsible unless if they’re fumbling snaps or throwing interceptions to end a game. Very lazy analysis by fringe or highlight fans as I call them.
You are talking about fringe fans and you don’t understand chipping to help an overmatched OT. It’s a very common strategy that almost all coaches, except Garrett, use if their OT is getting beaten consistently by a defender.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Regardless of anything else that happened during that game it was INEXCUSABLE for Garrett to leave Chaz Green on an island for the majority of the game. You say we had no answer! Bullshi_! Garrett had no answer. Any coach with have a brain would have seen Green was getting beaten badly on every play. He needed help, and Garrett either didn’t see it, or was to stupid to give him help. Either way, dumbest coaching EVER!!!!!!!!!
I recall making some adjustments but it wasn’t enough. It was a horrid sequence of events.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are talking about fringe fans and you don’t understand chipping to help an overmatched OT. It’s a very common strategy that almost all coaches, except Garrett, use if their OT is getting beaten consistently by a defender.
I just dont place the entire sequence on Garrett. Yes, he’s the HC and I suppose the Buck stops with him but I’d imagine there were several contributing factors that led to the horrid situation.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

"Green was obviously outmatched. We had no answer"
Green was obviously outmatched and so was Garrett. There, fixed it for ya.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You are talking about fringe fans
and you don’t understand chipping to help an overmatched OT. It’s a very common strategy that almost all coaches, except Garrett, use if their OT is getting beaten consistently by a defender.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
"Green was obviously outmatched. We had no answer"
Green was obviously outmatched and so was Garrett. There, fixed it for ya.
The difference in you and I is I’m not placing the entire blame on Garrett. I think there were several contributing factors all of which led to the horrid sequence. Is the HC ultimately responsible? Of course.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
The difference in you and I is I’m not placing the entire blame on Garrett. I think there were several contributing factors all of which led to the horrid sequence. Is the HC ultimately responsible? Of course.
Garrett’s incompetence was the major and most important factor. Yes, I put the entire blame on Garrett. He should have been fired after the game.