Is Cooper Rush truly going to be a phenomenal player?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper Rush and Dak Prescott are almost the same age, just seven months apart. Cooper has been a Dallas Cowboy since the 2017 season. This is his sixth season.

Why has it taken the Cowboys so long to discover they had this "gem"?

It wouldn't be the first time injury made them aware that a backup was better.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I think your ok calling parsons phenomenal. Some very rare players you can see it early on. He’s one of them.
I wouldn't argue with anyone who wants to call Parsons phenomenal.

But we have too many examples, on the Cowboys alone, of players having outstanding 1-3 years, just for them to fall off the cliff.

Now if you held a gun to my head and forced me to bet on Parsons being phenomenal today, I would vote in the affirmative that he is. I believe he has the ability to.

Yet the NFL is strange like that. Players are on the path of becoming a GOAT, then something happens and they are more of a flash-in-the-pan.

Again, I don't think that is Parsons (going to decline drastically), but I am curious how he is talked about in the next few years.

JMHO

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The thought (among some) is that Cooper Rush is better than Dak and the belief is that Dak struggles when the opposing defense shuts down the run. So, let's see what Cooper Rush is able to do it an opposing defense is able to shut down or limit our run game. And as you say let's see if Cooper Rush has the ability to rally the offense or keep the Cowboys in games when the defense isn't having such a great day.

The difference in games where the team fell behind multiple scores with Dak as the QB and games with Cooper Rush. When the offense went through multiple drives or a period of time in which they couldn't score or move the ball much. Is the defense with as the Dak QB, wasn't able to limit and shut down the opposing offense while our offense was in a lull. So the Cowboys fell behind multiple score and Dak had to attempt to rally the offense back. Thankfully the defense in this last two games were able to shut down the opposing offenses, while our offense was in a lull. So we have yet to see what Cooper Rush is able to do if the defense can't do what it did during the last 2 games and Rush is in a position where he has to rally the team from behind or he has to match the opposing offense TD for TD, if they score 30+ points.

Here is a hypothetical:

The cowboys have the top defense, special teams, and run game
1. Tom brady is the qb in his prime
2. Dak is qb playing at his highest level

Tom Brady can win you a superbowl, and Dak cab win you a superbow. Both would be completely adequate to get you where you want to go.

THe cowboys hypothetical scenario:

The cowboys have a very good defense, special teams, and running game

1. With the additions of Gallup, Cooper starts throwing in the 300+ range, continues to not turn the ball over, and keeps winning games
2. Dak comes back, but has some lingering issues, takes time to knock off the rust in his game and get over injury

Both can get you into the playoffs. One is showing and known, the other is a what if. That is where the controversy would be. Do you stop what is working and hope an unknown will work

I personally think dak will come back and play great, but I am rooting for rush to start having those big time games and keep the job, because it is the known or what we are seeing

kskboys

Reaction score
Joe Montana didn’t have a big arm . No I’m not comparing I’m just saying
On a scale of 1-10, here's the ratings:

Montana: 7
Cooper Rush: 3

That's just like saying since Emmit Smith wasn't fast, that a RB who runs a 5 flat 40 can be really good.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Rush is what he is. Eventually the league will solve his mystery.

Is he phenomenal? I don't think so. If he was all that then why did it take him so long to prove his worth?

We all want to believe in the Cooper being Kurt Warner 2, but we weren't the only ones who had him pegged for backup. If he was phenomenal he would have broke his way onto the starting lineup of some team earlier. We can all hope, but we have to be realistic.

As others have said we just have to enjoy the ride for now, and appreciate the contributions he makes to the team. Phenomenal may be too much to ask.

kskboys

Reaction score
2 drops for lamb, and i cant remember if tolbert long pass hit his hands, but i believe he could have had it if he ran through his route
Yes, Tolbert's should have been caught also.

Cooper's number could easily have been in the 350 range of passing yards.

dcstar

Reaction score
I'd love to see it for 17 more games this season.

Go Cowboys!

tromofan

Reaction score
The Eagles and Rams games will tell the story on Rush. Both are away games against the NFC elite. He had all day to throw against NYG. That won't happen against those two teams. It might all be for naught because Dak seems to think he'll be back next week.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Cooper Rush -- a phenomenal player? Um, welll, maybe so, but only if he keeps winning! :muttley: :lmao:

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
a guy, who was cut three times, as recently as this year and 31 teams said no, even for back up position is now going to be great!!!

the next tom brady he says!!! holy cow....what's in your drink my friend?
Who said the next Tom Brady. I think you need to read that again. It was all speculation fun

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
On a scale of 1-10, here's the ratings:

Montana: 7
Cooper Rush: 3

That's just like saying since Emmit Smith wasn't fast, that a RB who runs a 5 flat 40 can be really good.
You have no idea what the word fun ,means do you

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Who said the next Tom Brady. I think you need to read that again. It was all speculation fun
Yes everyone dreams but Brady was mentioned and hoped for .... There is a degree of reality to a dream. ...this is far fetched, very far fetched. Unattainable.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
OK, three games. Means nothing right. I can just imagine halfway through the season. And he still doing the same good things. If not better. Because of experience on the field. imagine having the next Tom Brady, it’s all a dream. Because Prescott is back before it ever , Had a chance to happen. , or not
Who is even saying that?
Ever?

You need to be thinking higher

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
OK, three games. Means nothing right. I can just imagine halfway through the season. And he still doing the same good things. If not better. Because of experience on the field. imagine having the next Tom Brady, it’s all a dream. Because Prescott is back before it ever , Had a chance to happen. , or not

He has a chance to prove himself. Mention him in the same sentence as Brady is pure foolishness, IMHO. At this point I don't think neither Dak nor Rush are the future.