Is Garrett running Air Coryell or not?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keith Vetter;3506119 said:
Where did this come from? :lmao:

Not sure where he came up with it, but maybe is was because the knock on Troy was he couldn't throw the deep lob. However, that wasn't because of his arm, it was because he could not get used to just throwing the ball up and hoping his WR would run under it.;)

Heck, even when he hit Harper sometimes it was 30 yds down field on a rope. lol

Angus

Reaction score
sadevil;3505982 said:
I think the Coryell offense has evolved under Norv and Garrett in very different ways. Norv's version should probably be called Ground Coryell because his offense started with the power running game.

The Garrett version is a much more pass oriented, reflecting the current NFL game and returning to the Air Coryell roots. However, their are differences. In the passing game, Garret's offense seems to rely more on slants and routes that allow receivers to run after the catch. He also mixes in more horizontal routes like bubble screens as a way of defeating blitz packages.

Garrett also tends to run the ball more out of passing formations (e.g. the draw out of the shotgun). As has become prevalent in the NFL now, he runs more plays (run and pass) out of two TE formations rather than using a FB or 3WR sets.

If Dallas is wise I think Garrett will revert to Ground Coryell tonight.

:)

T-RO

Reaction score
AsthmaField;3506094 said:
Pretty sure that the term "West Coast Offense" was said well before 1992, and that it was mentioned directly in connection with Bill Walsh's 49'er teams that had won numerous super bowls in the 1980's.

I remember watching a TV program about Walsh and the WCO and that it really could be called the mid-ohio offense because he started learning under Paul Brown.

Exactly. And even if they didn't call it WCO early on...that doesn't change what it was.

"A rose by any name smells as sweet," goes the bromide.