Is Garrett the best evaluator of talent we have ever had?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
  1. Every one of us have a guy in the back of our mind we prefer over Garrett.But I heard something today from Broadus on the Draft Show where he said.."
  2. "Garrett was the best talent evaluator this team has ever had"
  3. ."I had to stop at that comment and think about it.I had not considered that part of his job.I just considered Will Clay to be the main brain there.But if that is true..then you have to give him more credit than he has received for the job of building the team the last 3 years.
  4. It has improved a lot and normally I do not think of Garrett in the War Room as being a player.

But I guess I am wrong there. Broadus should know.He has been around a bit. Hmmm..
Comments ftom the peanut gallery?

Angus12

Reaction score
tenor.gif

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I heard the same comment today and thought the guys in the forum would have fun tearing that comment to shreds. Have at it people...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  1. Every one of us have a guy in the back of our mind we prefer over Garrett.But I heard something today from Broadus on the Draft Show where he said.."
  2. "Garrett was the best talent evaluator this team has ever had"
  3. ."I had to stop at that comment and think about it.I had not considered that part of his job.I just considered Will Clay to be the main brain there.But if that is true..then you have to give him more credit than he has received for the job of building the team the last 3 years.
  4. It has improved a lot and normally I do not think of Garrett in the War Room as being a player.

But I guess I am wrong there. Broadus should know.He has been around a bit. Hmmm..
Comments ftom the peanut gallery?

Maybe he was talking about Jim Garrett (Jason's Dad).

I think Garrett helped get Will McClay promoted and I think Garrett lets McClay and the scouting dept do their jobs.

The only draft picks I specifically remember that Garrett wanted were:
MartyB
Floyd the DT in the draft where they traded down and took Fredrick.

The credit for Dak goes to Wade Wilson.

Garrett over-ruled Bill Callahan on the starting RT. Callahan was the best position coach they've have had this decade and an expert on the OLine but Garrett thought he knew more about the OL than Callahan. Due to injury, the backup eventually played and was better than the starter just like Callahan had said 2 years earlier.

I tend to think Garrett was involved in the backup QBs they obtained in 2015 when Romo was out. Those QBs were big failures.

Garrett did convince Beasley to re-consider quitting during his rookie year. Most HCs would have just let him quit.

Wade Phillips contribution to the draft was LB Jason Williams who couldn't play a lick in the NFL.

Chan Gailey's contribution was convincing Jerry NOT to draft Randy Moss.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Maybe he was talking about Jim Garrett (Jason's Dad).

I think Garrett helped get Will McClay promoted and I think Garrett lets McClay and the scouting dept do their jobs.

The only draft picks I specifically remember that Garrett wanted were:
MartyB
Floyd the DT in the draft where they traded down and took Fredrick.

The credit for Dak goes to Wade Wilson.

Garrett over-ruled Bill Callahan on the starting RT. Callahan was the best position coach they've have had this decade and an expert on the OLine but Garrett thought he knew more about the OL than Callahan. Due to injury, the backup eventually played and was better than the starter just like Callahan had said 2 years earlier.

I tend to think Garrett was involved in the backup QBs they obtained in 2015 when Romo was out. Those QBs were big failures.

Garrett did convince Beasley to re-consider quitting during his rookie year. Most HCs would have just let him quit.

Wade Phillips contribution to the draft was LB Jason Williams who couldn't play a lick in the NFL.

Chan Gailey's contribution was convincing Jerry NOT to draft Randy Moss.
\

Credit for Dak should go to Denver and Oakland for taking Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Garrett first came in they realigned the scouting department to pair position coaches up with scouts more efficiently and to get more input to the scouts re: what the coaches were looking for in the scheme in terms of what was coachable and what was not. This was reportedly based on things Garrett had learned from his dad growing up around the scouting and coaching process. They also elevated McClay early in the process and then elevated him again over Ciskowski. It also marked a stronger emphasis on SPARQ scoring. They then switched the cap philosophy over to letting younger players play, backfilling holes with inexpensive veterans, and consciously developing their players.

It's been a really obvious difference from what we'd done previously if you're only half-way paying attention. I know it's fun to pretend that all happened without the involvement of the head coach and that's it's one big coincidence, thank you Will McClay, but that's not actually how it happened. Garrett's had a lot to do with how the team assembles and develops talent.

The good news about that is that the team is setup to get better each season more from young guys improving than it is from signing aging or expensive vets. The bad news is we don't get a lot of good veterans in any given year.

Guys like Dak and Gallup and one of the TEs stepping up on offense are going to end up being our improvement if we're going to take the next step. I think they probably will, and I think we'll probably extend Garrett because the organization likes working with him. Then we can all pretend it's just Jerry being crazy or drunk.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
When Garrett first came in they realigned the scouting department to pair position coaches up with scouts more efficiently and to get more input to the scouts re: what the coaches were looking for in the scheme in terms of what was coachable and what was not. This was reportedly based on things Garrett had learned from his dad growing up around the scouting and coaching process. They also elevated McClay early in the process and then elevated him again over Ciskowski. It also marked a stronger emphasis on SPARQ scoring. They then switched the cap philosophy over to letting younger players play, backfilling holes with inexpensive veterans, and consciously developing their players.

It's been a really obvious difference from what we'd done previously if you're only half-way paying attention. I know it's fun to pretend that all happened without the involvement of the head coach and that's it's one big coincidence, thank you Will McClay, but that's not actually how it happened. Garrett's had a lot to do with how the team assembles and develops talent.

The good news about that is that the team is setup to get better each season more from young guys improving than it is from signing aging or expensive vets. The bad news is we don't get a lot of good veterans in any given year.

Guys like Dak and Gallup and one of the TEs stepping up on offense are going to end up being our improvement if we're going to take the next step. I think they probably will, and I think we'll probably extend Garrett because the organization likes working with him. Then we can all pretend it's just Jerry being crazy or drunk.

Unlike past years, I think the Beloved Garrett does indeed get the axe if he fails to make it further than last year regardless of the tougher schedule.

They do love them some Jason and probably hope he can make it happen this year after they are done in FA and the draft!

However, I feel like they do indeed expect more at this point and if he fails to deliver they will let him walk.

If he indeed has success this season, I agree and it is obvious that he will get that long term deal.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unlike past years, I think the Beloved Garrett does indeed get the axe if he fails to make it further than last year regardless of the tougher schedule.

They do love them some Jason and probably hope he can make it happen this year after they are done in FA and the draft!

However, I feel like they do indeed expect more at this point and if he fails to deliver they will let him walk.

If he indeed has success this season, I agree and it is obvious that he will get that long term deal.

I don’t know exactly where the line is. It’s acontract year, and he’s singing for his supper. If Payton shakes loose, I think he’d likely unseat Garrett. But I also think the organization thinks they’ll probably extend him. He’s got a good roster and they should be a playoff team if there aren’t significant injuries. I can’t see them expecting him to get to a championship game or they replace him with the best available. Maybe, but that’s not how they usually work. If he doesn’t make the playoffs he’s in trouble, though. Probably if he’s one-and-done, too.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I don’t know exactly where the line is. It’s acontract year, and he’s singing for his supper. If Payton shakes loose, I think he’d likely unseat Garrett. But I also think the organization thinks they’ll probably extend him. He’s got a good roster and they should be a playoff team if there aren’t significant injuries. I can’t see them expecting him to get to a championship game or they replace him with the best available. Maybe, but that’s not how they usually work. If he doesn’t make the playoffs he’s in trouble, though. Probably if he’s one-and-done, too.

Yes, I think he has to win a few playoff games to keep his job and definitely at least one, Stephen seemed to indicate in a recent interview that the same old make it and lose simply will not do anymore.

They do love Jason and his overall approach to coaching the team, obviously they want more out of the offense and will give Moore a try at OC probably with a committee approach as to offensive game planning.

Payton is the one guy I think, as you rightly indicate, could bump Garrett out of the picture if he ends one and done or less.

I think Cobb and Quinn regardless of 1 year deals, are Jason's best friends, especially if they get DLAW done and add that 3T in the draft (word is they covet a true 3T not a 1 T) and another talented S.

I have no idea how this team will work out, depends on the draft and how the new additions perform with the improvement from the roster.

Jason will like Witten (experience) and Frederick back as well as he goes into a make or break contract year.