Recap: Is Guyton a bust if doesn't win starting job at LT during camp?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
See a lot of talk about this in Cowboys fandom podcasts.

Some concern based on comments from Jones Boys and McCarthy that Edoga will be the starter.

First round picks are drafted to be impacts. Zack, TFred, Tyler Smith all drafted in similar ranges and won their jobs.

A lot of criticism on Jones Boys. If Guyton has too much of a learning curve to make coaches confident to start him, why let Tyron go?

Last edited:

CowboysRule

Reaction score
3015fc8a8435b65a18bb17fc45c599713443316d.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
See a lot of talk about this in Cowboys fandom podcasts.

Some concern based on comments from Jones Boys and McCarthy that Edoga will be the starter.

First round picks are drafted to be impacts. Zack, TFred, Tyler Smith all drafted in similar ranges and won their jobs.

A lot of criticism on Jones Boys. If Guyton has too much of a learning curve to make coaches confident to start him, why let Tyron go?

I sure hope you didn't come up with this subject cause that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard so rookie if he doesn't win a starting job in the NFL let's keep the Cowboys out your mouth for a minute I know they can't help it, so they're all bust if they don't win a starting job right away as a rookie?

The Internet is clearly getting Dumber by the day they have nothing to talk about so so a rookie now is gonna be judged upon whether he can take a starting position if not he's a bust right away he's considered a bust?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Guyton was a need pick and a reach. He was considered more of an early 2nd round player the closer to the draft we got. Definitely not a sure thing.

But I’d wait until 2025 to call him a bust.
The exact same thing was said about Tyler Smith ohh and by the way a lot of you said that about Micah Parsons that no way should you take a guy that high to be an off the ball linebacker you know what how about fans keep your face out of stuff that you don't know anything about we don't know how these players are gonna turn out by where they're drafted. Whether it's first round or seventh round there are a lot of good picks all around including the undrafted guys he was not a reach absolutely not if the coaches feel that he has a skill set and a demeanor that someday he can be a starter that he's picked exactly where he's supposed to be picked it sure is better than giving three first round picks for a guy like Trey Lance that was a reach Sir people moved up and spent extra draft picks to get a guy that nobody thought coming out of college should be picked in the first round let alone be reached for you should learn what the word really means...

Taking a starting tackle off a Big 12 team that has great measurables as long and his film his stats say he's a first round pick if he falls to you late in the first round it's not a reach.. But I'm gonna remind you and I bet you were one of them that said Tyler Smith was a reach it was desperation and all of a sudden this kid was thrown out at left tackle when he was drafted to be a left guard and he's played both his rookie season and his second season way above expectations buddy... So you need to calm down with the words he'll never be labeled a bust and left after year 4 he's not in some kind of role here on the team as far as even if he's a swing tackle he's not a bust..

There are far more players in the NFL on a yearly basis taking higher than this kid that never worked out so no he won't be considered a buck if he can't win a starting left tackle job one of the hardest positions on the field to master especially as a rookie but I have confidence because I've seen his tape I've watched his videos I looked at his measurables and I'm hearing what's coming out of these mini camps from other players not coaches let's say he's got that it and it made me need to be developed it may not be as Rookie year... But let's get this straight he wasn't taken in the top ten he wasn't traded up for it's not a reach if a guy falls to you that late in the first round because you do realize that's almost into the second round a guy like him would have been gone by the time we picked again...

blueblood70

Reaction score
haha...asking if a 1st round pick is a bust if he doesnt win a starting job before the season starts in camp? Come on man...whats next, calling first round picks busts if they dont impress in mini camp?
Jeez....give the guys time to develop....
Yeah develop that's crazy it's not about development it's about can the guy even get on the field before we put the pressure on that because what he's a first round pick he should be a starter day one is there a rule I don't think there's a rule but maybe these people needed something to talk about so bad they're gonna pick on this young rookie who I'm hearing good things about and by the way watching his tape looking at his measurables I would have took him in the same spot anyway without expectations he'd be the starter...

I think fans need to stop and the media need to stop prejudging people we've seen this before it was done with Micah Parsons it was done with Tyler Smith yes there were people here in this place that said those were reaches... They were wrong, I'm not sure he'll win this job right away out of the gate but I also believe it's ridiculous to say edoga would be the fall guy when we have players on this team that could probably be moved right now it could be someone you're not even thinking of maybe he was gonna be a guard or a center there are other people on this team that were taken that could win that job at left tackle that is what's find about training camp and preseason and letting guys compete because somebody's gonna come up from out of nowhere and be a superstar in this league and somebody'd camp that wasn't being counted on....

Creeper

Reaction score
I would not call anyone a bust after 1 year, but I will admit that it is more important in today's NFL for 1st round picks to contribute than ever before. If Guyton does not win the starting job in 2024 it will be a huge disappointment.

And Edoga facing Myles Garrett week 1 is just as scary as Guyton facing Myles Garrett in week 1.

_sturt_

Reaction score
why let Tyrone go
It's a legitimate question, given that he's only making about $3m this season in NY, and will also cost them $3m against their cap next season regardless of whether he plays. It doesn't seem to be some incredibly difficult amount to fit into your payroll.

But it's an illegitimate question, still, because the value of a player taken in the back of the first round is not totally concentrated in whether he's starting Game 1. The expectation for those that had first-round grades going into the draft should be that... but players who had second round grades but made it into the first round? Nah. You should be satisfied if during their rookie season they've earned a starting job. It doesn't need to be Game 1.

We've been spoiled. Looking at all 32 teams, our first round O-line draftee success is the exception, not the rule. And we're due some regression to the mean here.

Hopefully, not just yet. Hopefully Guyton asserts himself and the run of success continues.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Obviously if Guyton does not win the LT Spot on Day 1 he is a bust.

Just look at the last college RT that the Cowboys selected in the 1st Round to play LT. Didn't take a snap at LT his ENTIRE rookie year and was an obvious bust after. I can't believe the Cowboys wasted a pick on Tyron Smith like that.
:facepalm:

P.S. The above post may or may not contain sarcasm. Just an FYI.
:muttley:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Tyron Smith wasn't the LT his rookie year. Nor did he look all pro year 1.

We had a lot of threads on here on if Dallas made the wrong choice in the Watt vs Smith pick till maybe 2013-14
you are correct the expectation should be all be set low for every player in the draft from 1 through 7 rounds, undrafted, it don't matter, once you're in a camp players are allowed to compete and a surprise or 2 that's going to step up and end up being a starter or key role player on this team coming out of nowhere.

i don't think either team made a bad choice with watt versus smith.it was about what the team deemed they needed more, and a future LT was important at the time.

RS12

Reaction score
I am gonna give more than camp to show his ability. I expect him to show some warts in camp. I would say by game 4 to 8 he should be starting and be more good than bad.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tyron Smith wasn't the LT his rookie year. Nor did he look all pro year 1.

We had a lot of threads on here on if Dallas made the wrong choice in the Watt vs Smith pick till maybe 2013-14
But he was a starter at Tackle his first year ....... but no ..... Guyton would not be a bust just because he did not start right away ...... Tyron was a lot higher draft pick.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would not call anyone a bust after 1 year, but I will admit that it is more important in today's NFL for 1st round picks to contribute than ever before. If Guyton does not win the starting job in 2024 it will be a huge disappointment.

And Edoga facing Myles Garrett week 1 is just as scary as Guyton facing Myles Garrett in week 1.

you realize ANY tackle facing MG any game, any time, is going to have a problem, a very long day. Because if your LT is great, he flips over to right and vice versa players like him ie Parsons, watt, bosas etc they move and expose weaknesses ALL GAME. if the GP isn't to locate him at all times and double well that once again on the coaches.

you guys make a lot of assumptions , you think a Edoga would be the starter game 1? there's always a possibility if it looks that bad ie Chaz green bad, they bring in a guy like Backhieri .

there are a few guys out there and or you could trade for one. that a few left as of now before cut downs

• Donovan Smith
  • David Bakhtiari
  • D.J. Humphries
  • Jason Peters
  • Charles Leno
  • Billy Turner
  • Cameron Ervin
  • Duane Brown
  • Riley Reiff
  • Conor McDermott

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
:huh: :huh: :huh:Tyron signed with the Jets on March 18. Guyton was drafted on April 25.
If you listen to the podcast, they make a good point. If you’re too scared to give a guy like this a learning curve and let him develop, why would you not pony up for Tyron? As the first reply from @ChronicCowboy said, they knew this was a project going in for that draft pick.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am gonna give more than camp to show his ability. I expect him to show some warts in camp. I would say by game 4 to 8 he should be starting and be more good than bad.
of course, he's going to be tested by parsons' and our other pass rushers like tank and sam..he will get his butt whooped many plays, its how he responds and grows will determine the type of payer he will become.