Recap: Is Guyton a bust if doesn't win starting job at LT during camp?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t think he will bust entirely but he is a bit of a project, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up at RG or RT eventually.

Although he did say he was more comfortable on the left side. That’s why they play the games…

But the point remains that ‘draft only’ gets much more difficult when you pick low and it isn’t sustainable.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
See a lot of talk about this in Cowboys fandom podcasts.

Some concern based on comments from Jones Boys and McCarthy that Edoga will be the starter.

First round picks are drafted to be impacts. Zack, TFred, Tyler Smith all drafted in similar ranges and won their jobs.

A lot of criticism on Jones Boys. If Guyton has too much of a learning curve to make coaches confident to start him, why let Tyron go?

Was Larry Allen a bust because he didn’t nail down a starting position immediately?

John813

Reaction score
But he was a starter at Tackle his first year ....... but no ..... Guyton would not be a bust just because he did not start right away ...... Tyron was a lot higher draft pick.
He was. but he was also the Right Tackle at USC, where Guyton was the Right tackle in Oklahoma and is asked to switch sides while adapting to the NFL speed/strength.
Dallas gave Smith a year in the NFL before asking to be the Left tackle

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Was Larry Allen a bust because he didn’t nail down a starting position immediately?
Larry Allen was on the greatest offensive line in NFL history and a second round pick out of a small school. Not the same.

I’ll put it here again because for some reason it was deleted, but don’t think he’s a bust if not the starter but definitely a big disappointment.

Especially considering the team’s recent history with first round linemen, and the decision not to re-sign Tyron for pretzels. If Jethro wanted a project, could have just re-upped Tyron for one more year while Guyton learns. And that’s the point the podcast links cover. No plan from this front office. ‘We sort of want to rebuild but not all the way….”

Doesn’t matter though, because The Mighty Edoga will hold him back. :muttley:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You can’t call a rookie first round pick a bust right off the bat if they don’t take over the starting position immediately, but they should be starting by at least the first few games or there could be a problem with the player. Unless we’re talking QB. A first round pick on the OL should be good enough to start. It would be a little concerning if Guyton isn’t ready to start by the opener. We have a big need on the OL and he was our first round pick. He’s been called a project by some and that could mean boom or bust. Personally, I wasn’t real happy with the pick. I would have preferred the center who was a much higher rated player. Guyton wasn’t the best player on the board. Hopefully he doesn’t turn out to be this year‘s Mazi.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Picking at 29 you're getting a 2nd rd graded player 90% of the time. I don't give this team the benefit of the doubt on many things, but I will on 1st rd lineman as its been a while since they wiffed on one. Maybe jacob rogers? Or was he a 2? Looked it up #52 overall.
Wash your mouth out with soap. Forgot all about Mr. Rogers. Hope we don’t end up with another one. Disappointing pick.

And yes, we rarely bust in the Will McClay era on offensive linemen in first round. Which would make Guyton even more disappointing if he doesn’t win that job before the season is over.
Dline is another story though. :banghead:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
haha...asking if a 1st round pick is a bust if he doesnt win a starting job before the season starts in camp? Come on man...whats next, calling first round picks busts if they dont impress in mini camp?
Jeez....give the guys time to develop....
Or if they say they love to hit people and don't like football

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wash your mouth out with soap. Forgot all about Mr. Rogers. Hope we don’t end up with another one. Disappointing pick.

And yes, we rarely bust in the Will McClay era on offensive linemen in first round. Which would make Guyton even more disappointing if he doesn’t win that job before the season is over.
Dline is another story though. :banghead:
You ain't kidding.

Flamma

Reaction score
Best case scenario is if he starts right away and is good. But I wasn't expecting it.

gtb1943

Reaction score
LTs do not win championships but they can be very much a factor in losing one or not getting close to one

DuncanIso

Reaction score
haha...asking if a 1st round pick is a bust if he doesnt win a starting job before the season starts in camp? Come on man...whats next, calling first round picks busts if they dont impress in mini camp?
Jeez....give the guys time to develop....
He’s a LT.

We got scrubs at LT before the draft.

The worry with Guyton is that he wasn’t All American / All Conf in NCAA ball.

That’s a red flag.

The kid has talent though.