Is it time for Jerry to adopt a new way of thinking/running this team?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Well if you go back 22 years Bill Parcells showed him the blueprint. I think it ended up in Jerry's shredder and it's been downhill ever since
The Parcells thing left two fatal impressions on these two….and I remember the time well and the quotes…..

“The devil you know” when it comes to signing free agents.

And drafting tight ends in round two even if you have a future HOF one on the roster with many years left.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
as long as the money keep rolling in and Dallas remains the most lucrative team in sports, Jerry won't change a thing.

Ozone22

Reaction score
Well if you go back 22 years Bill Parcells showed him the blueprint. I think it ended up in Jerry's shredder and it's been downhill ever since
Did Parcells leave a blueprint for Jerry? If you count not getting out of the first round of the playoffs or drafting players that have family ties to the team like Bobby Carpenter = Deuce Vaughn. Then Jerry learned a lot and is doing a great job.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think the MAIN reason why the Cowboys management wants to avoid being active in veteran free agency is because they're not competent to make evaluations of the veteran players enough to prosper in that phase of the team's management. They're far more comfortable with relying upon the NFL draft and keep their participation of vet free agency down to a low-cost minimum with low-tier players.

Without a guy with talent awareness, like Will McClay, they'd be lost in deciding which players to draft, as well. In that event, they'd really be in far more serious trouble . . . yet, even more so than they are at present.

Outside of that, neither Jerry nor Stephen are good contract negotiators. Unfortunately, it's a weakness that gets them in far more cap trouble than they should be. Consequently, the cap figures are often extremely prohibitive when it comes to veteran free agency participation.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
" .... Is it time for Jerry to adopt a new way of thinking/running this team ?"

Is it time for Stephen Jones " Money Ball Cap Boy " to adopt a new way of thinking/running this team ?

Many still don't get it that Jerry is gradually turning over team operations to his son Stephen.
Team cap, team player personnel, trades.....FA... NFL draft ...Stephen is probably a huge reason why Garrett
and Marinelli were sent packing, and why McCarthy was hired on.

Frankly I do worry about Jerry and have my own concerns of his age and health. I've come not to take Jerry serious
when he bumps his gums to the media with his comments, that's why i never believed the " All in " remarks.

And Stephen is the lead reason why we will have the challenges that we'll have in '24, and why we will continue to
fail in the playoffs. He's far too more concerned with saving money and cap, than " all in " for a SB.

Majic

Reaction score
Bill really did not show Jerry anything.
He brought in all of his over the hill players instead of doing something all other teams did, and are still doing.
He inherited a terrible roster and went about a rebuild. He drafted very well with the odd exception and brought a toughness to the team. There was discipline, there was accountability. He redesigned the DEF and showed that players need to be playing to a high level in December/ January, not worn down because they have taken too much punishment. He upset people along the way, but so be it. Without doubt a Top 3 Head Coach in Cowboys history.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He inherited a terrible roster and went about a rebuild. He drafted very well with the odd exception and brought a toughness to the team. There was discipline, there was accountability. He redesigned the DEF and showed that players need to be playing to a high level in December/ January, not worn down because they have taken too much punishment. He upset people along the way, but so be it. Without doubt a Top 3 Head Coach in Cowboys history.
I am not saying he was horrible. Of course he did well.
Set the team in the right direction until he switched to the 3-4. That was a downfall for years IMO.

He was just as bad for that as he was good for other things.

Flamma

Reaction score
Too often if feels that Jerry is stuck in his ways with trying to assemble a team. We know there's a need, he knows there's a need, but addressing it the right way doesn't seem to be something Jerry wants to do. When you've known how to do one thing for so long and it's worked out well for you, then you don't want to change. Times are changing, new ideas, new thoughts, new tendencies have to be adapted. Please give your thoughts, what can Jerry do to do things differently????
I don't think Jerry is in control anymore. Jerry was always a gambler. Always looking to pick up the best players. He made a lot of mistakes too. Now the Cowboys don't do any of that stuff. I think his son is in control. The only way things will change is if they sell the team, or they are bad enough to take a financial hit.

They've been good lately because they've been drafting well. But if we have a few more drafts like last year, the team will start to trend in the opposite direction.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

This, team was a dumpster fire before the tuna got here, then he takes a team to the PO with Quincy Carter - let that sink in for a minute. Inherited a mess from the Gailey and the short coach can’t think of his name era. Don’t know what in the h—- the Clampetts were doing during this era. Making a mess!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Too often if feels that Jerry is stuck in his ways with trying to assemble a team. We know there's a need, he knows there's a need, but addressing it the right way doesn't seem to be something Jerry wants to do. When you've known how to do one thing for so long and it's worked out well for you, then you don't want to change. Times are changing, new ideas, new thoughts, new tendencies have to be adapted. Please give your thoughts, what can Jerry do to do things differently????
There's still hope right, especially after we clear some of these heavy contracts/dead money off our books
:laugh:
:lmao::laugh::D:p:lmao2:

Wildcat711

Reaction score
I just laughed when I read the thread title.

Only came in to see if there was ONE post saying.. no.. JJ is doing a great job.

Big_D

Reaction score
There's still hope right, especially after we clear some of these heavy contracts/dead money off our books
Unfortunately with Jerry and his kid there is none. I was hopeful after 3 12 win seasons until they decided to do absolutely nothing. Specially after spending years overpaying any and every Cowboy. I have no hope or confidence this management will ever reach that next level. Regular season heroes is the ceiling here!

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
You are asking a billionaire narcissist to change LOL. Best you can do is pray when he’s gone Charlotte takes over. Only then will a Jones family member act like an owner and not pretend to be a GM.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Jerry's next move is pitching early last century leather helmets for football players at the next owner's meeting. His football team competitive philosophy is let's keep losing in the post season because we are really good at it.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He will shock people this season.
Including me, in a good way.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I hope jerry coaches for years, decades, or even centuries. I would hate to get a new guy and then start blaming the players because the new GM was that good. :confused: