Is it time to move Jones back to CB and start Woods at safety?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
With all due respect, Fuzzy, you're off on this one. Watch the play again and check out the pre-snap alignment. Dallas is playing straight man coverage, with Heath playing the nickel CB, lined up over the slot receiver. Anthony Brown had sole coverage on the WR. He bit to the outside and when the WR broke to the post, it was goodnight. Heath was out of the play because of his responsibility was to the slot receiver.

While Heath does get his fair share of criticism, it's instances like this when he gets unfairly criticized. Most people have no idea that he's only playing safety about 30-35% of snaps (when Dallas is in their base defense). When they're in nickel, he's in the slot. When they're in dime both he and Xavier Woods are in the slot.

I did review it. He was deep down the hash. He took a false step towards a skinny post and let the outside receiver literally run right by him.

rpntex

Reaction score
I did review it. He was deep down the hash. He took a false step towards a skinny post and let the outside receiver literally run right by him.

No, he was in the slot, about 6 yards off the line. He didn't break to the skinny post, either. He took a step to the corner (where the slot receiver went) then broke back when Palmer released the ball. That he broke back at all made it look like he blew the coverage. Pre-snap tells us that it wasn't his coverage to begin with.

Reaction score
Well sure it does, but if you go back to the pre draft reports Collins was ranked very high and Jones wasn't ranked very high at all.
This was another example of where we should have gone with the guy who played at a major college over the guy who did not.

We do it most of the time, but in this case they did not. Probably because of Jones athleticism. Collins would have been a great addition to this team.

coult44

Reaction score
He’s consistently been a fantastic defensive back. People on this board are just clueless.

If he's fantastic, I can play in the NFL. He's ok at best... Cmon man . Fantastic really??? He's had one or two good games in his young career. He needs to get bigger and work more with Sean Lee in learning the game, then we will see. But fantastic, uhhhh, typical CF response

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No, he was in the slot, about 6 yards off the line. He didn't break to the skinny post, either. He took a step to the corner (where the slot receiver went) then broke back when Palmer released the ball. That he broke back at all made it look like he blew the coverage. Pre-snap tells us that it wasn't his coverage to begin with.

I just looked again. He was lined up strong side 10 yards off the los. Fitz ran a deep out from the slot and he stared it down allowing Brown to get behind him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Isn't Woods the one who went into the endzone to down the punt at the goalline?:(:mad::omg:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
However it happens Woods needs to be on the field. He and Lewis were fantastic tonight
Their stars are shooting up. You can tell they are playmakers. All they need is more game experience, and we're going to have a fearsome secondary.

blindzebra

Reaction score
With all due respect, Fuzzy, you're off on this one. Watch the play again and check out the pre-snap alignment. Dallas is playing straight man coverage, with Heath playing the nickel CB, lined up over the slot receiver. Anthony Brown had sole coverage on the WR. He bit to the outside and when the WR broke to the post, it was goodnight. Heath was out of the play because of his responsibility was to the slot receiver.

While Heath does get his fair share of criticism, it's instances like this when he gets unfairly criticized. Most people have no idea that he's only playing safety about 30-35% of snaps (when Dallas is in their base defense). When they're in nickel, he's in the slot. When they're in dime both he and Xavier Woods are in the slot.

Jones had the deep middle and was late reacting because the receiver on that side was well covered. Don't know if he could have gotten there but if any safety blew that one it was Jones and not Heath.

GIFTS86

Reaction score
Not sure about how Outstanding it was.

Byron Jones has done pretty much nothing in his time here. I am all for moving him although I don't expect much.
Its sean lee and byron jones man. 2 best players on this defense consistently

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We are mis-using him as a box safety and he was forced to play slot CB tonight and his coverage was outstanding.
EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING LAST NIGHT...Jones seems to do better at cb...and let Woods roam and intercept and lay the wood

rpntex

Reaction score
Jones had the deep middle and was late reacting because the receiver on that side was well covered. Don't know if he could have gotten there but if any safety blew that one it was Jones and not Heath.

Haven't seen angle with Jones pre-snap, but agree with you that he was out of the play when the ball was released.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
Man I wish I could go back and rewatch the game. I keep reading about how well Woods played and all I can recall is when he jumped and almost picked off the pass on a blitz.