Is it time to move Jones back to CB and start Woods at safety?

revospeed

Reaction score
In your mind......which is questionable with your thoughts on Jones. Arizona scores more then 17 tonight without Jones. Hate all you want but that's facts and the truth.......not some make believe cause of hate

Lol a hypothetical is a fact?

He played good man to man, but he's not a good safety. And he deserves all the flack he gets based on his play last year and so far this year. He was the worst defender on the field in the Denver game.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Lol a hypothetical is a fact?

He played good man to man, but he's not a good safety. And he deserves all the flack he gets based on his play last year and so far this year. He was the worst defender on the field in the Denver game.
That is so far off from the truth. Carroll was ate up. Not only that Jones played with a groin injury. Again you pick out something but Lee was atrocious that game......oh but you like him huh

jrumann59

Reaction score
We are mis-using him as a box safety and he was forced to play slot CB tonight and his coverage was outstanding.
Well part of the problem is you see them lining him up as box safety when in reality he is playing man on most TE but I guess you would be OK with him lining up in the FS spot 15 yards off the line while running man assignments on the TE.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s consistently been a fantastic defensive back. People on this board are just clueless.

Don't you know, some people on here are experts (or think they are anyway) and if a player does not have 17 picks a game or 17 sacks a game. and this can be (insert different player name) at any given time to say that player is a jag depending on their agenda for that time.
:muttley:

BermyStar

Reaction score
I think (hope) that change comes at some point this season. Probably after the bye week?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Yes. His job was to cover the turf in front of him and let a TE get behind him.
His job was to stay between the QB and receiver. Carr was supposed to be his help in that quadrant of the field and was AWOL. And it still took a perfect throw to be completed. But keep repeating this falsity that it was his fault. Maybe if you repeat it enough it will actually become true.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I like Jones, but I think if you look at it objectively, the only place he's shown remarkable talent is in covering TE's.

He lacks the physicality of a safety, especially in space but he will body up a TE in tight coverage and you can just tell by looking at him that he's more confident in those situations than when someone is barreling down at him in open space.

Reaction score
I know Jones gets love from PFF and announcers, so maybe he's better than I realize. When I watch the games, I see a guy who has good man coverage, and average to bad everything else.

Zone coverage? Usually late to make a play.
Run support? Actively seems to avoid tackling and isn't good at it when he does. Jourdan Lewis in one game last night made more plays in run support than Jones has in his career.

He was better playing CB in the slot last night in man coverage than he was when he was at safety, I don't think there's any question about that.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Jones is good vs slower WRs like Fitz and big TEs but can't cover quicker WRs.

He feels like kind of a tweener to me. Not a true FS and not really a CB.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We are mis-using him as a box safety and he was forced to play slot CB tonight and his coverage was outstanding.
zebra--i was thinking exact same thing last night..move him to corner and put woods in his place..woods is a baller

ondaedg

Reaction score
His back is ALWAYS to the ball. Can't be a great db when your back is to the ball 95% of the time. He is average at BEST. He gets praised for not making bonehead plays. But he is not a playmaker.

chicago JK

Reaction score
Heath just scares me. If I were teams I would be looking for seams in that zone and go after Heath. He may have a big hit or make a interception, but it certainly appears there are opportunities there.

I would like to see more of Woods as the season goes on. You never know what will translate the the NFL from college, but Woods stuck out on some plays being around the ball. This team needs more of those players. Hopefully he can develop into a solid starter. I am fine with taking him slow but he should be able to earn playing time if he continues to impress. There is not a ton of talent ahead of him in line imo.