Is it time?

LittleD

Reaction score
I think it's way past time...

Fire the coaches starting with Jason Garrett. I know, Jerry is loathe to fire coaches he just gave big fat
contracts too but, these coaches are so myopic. They can't think outside the box, they can't adapt, they can't adjust to changes coming from the other teams adjustments... Just bad IMHO!

Time to just start cutting bait with some of these overpaid, underperforming players. Lots of salaries need to
come down this year as we start a new rebuilding process. Time to sit Dez, Romo, & Witten for the rest of this year to allow them to heal and rest up for another season next year. Time to take a real hard look at this roster
and see if any of these players are the type you want to go to battle with next year. Might find a few but, not as many as you might think.

Time to make sure you don't screw yourself out of a top 3 draft choice next year and an opportunity to get a real QB who can be mentored by Tony before he retires. It's pretty obvious that Tony has been running this offense for the last few years in spite of the coaches on this staff. Also, time to get a RB in round two who
can tote the rock 25-30 times a game.

This one obviously won't happen but, it is way past time for Jerry and Stephen to hire a true football GM
to manage this team and shop for the groceries. Injuries happen to all teams but, this year our backup plans
were poor and overall our talent is way overrated.

Time to embrace the "Tank" and get reloaded for next year. The stink of this year will take several months to
wear off. SAD!!!

Hailmary

Reaction score
I didn't even read the entire post, but you had me at "fire the coaches starting with Jason Garrett".

I realize that we were missing our two best players for most of the losing streak, but I'm convinced that a half way decent coach would've gotten us a couple of wins giving us a realistic chance to make the playoffs upon Romo's return. I've been harping on this for a couple of weeks now, but there are only 3, maybe 4 elite coaches in the NFL and one (Payton) may be available after this season. I realize that Garrett just signed a big extension, but he's more of a good PR guy than he is a coach. If an elite coach becomes available, I think you pounce on the chance to bring him on board. Also keep in mind that Coughlin's contract is up after this season and that Dan Snyder's not gun shy to make a big splash, so the chances of Payton landing a spot with a divisional rival is real imo.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
I didn't even read the entire post, but you had me at "fire the coaches starting with Jason Garrett".

I realize that we were missing our two best players for most of the losing streak, but I'm convinced that a half way decent coach would've gotten us a couple of wins giving us a realistic chance to make the playoffs upon Romo's return. I've been harping on this for a couple of weeks now, but there are only 3, maybe 4 elite coaches in the NFL and one (Payton) may be available after this season. I realize that Garrett just signed a big extension, but he's more of a good PR guy than he is a coach. If an elite coach becomes available, I think you pounce on the chance to bring him on board. Also keep in mind that Coughlin's contract is up after this season and that Dan Snyder's not gun shy to make a big splash, so the chances of Payton landing a spot with a divisional rival is real imo.

When you're hot you're hot and Payton is not. Let him go to rival. Garrett to Giants, Payton to Commanders, Campo to Eagles. Ah, the perfect football world.....sigh

DallasDomination

Reaction score
This is when all the rational posters will come in with their calm and collect posts... losing 7 in a row is on the coaches and Garrett is on the hot seat regardless.

superonyx

Reaction score

Fire the coaches starting with Jason Garrett. I know, Jerry is loathe to fire coaches he just gave big fat
contracts too but, these coaches are so myopic. They can't think outside the box, they can't adapt, they can't adjust to changes coming from the other teams adjustments... Just bad IMHO!

Time to just start cutting bait with some of these overpaid, underperforming players. Lots of salaries need to
come down this year as we start a new rebuilding process. Time to sit Dez, Romo, & Witten for the rest of this year to allow them to heal and rest up for another season next year. Time to take a real hard look at this roster
and see if any of these players are the type you want to go to battle with next year. Might find a few but, not as many as you might think.

Time to make sure you don't screw yourself out of a top 3 draft choice next year and an opportunity to get a real QB who can be mentored by Tony before he retires. It's pretty obvious that Tony has been running this offense for the last few years in spite of the coaches on this staff. Also, time to get a RB in round two who

This one obviously won't happen but, it is way past time for Jerry and Stephen to hire a true football GM
to manage this team and shop for the groceries. Injuries happen to all teams but, this year our backup plans

Time to embrace the "Tank" and get reloaded for next year. The stink of this year will take several months to
wear off. SAD!!!

It's not as simple as yelling fire and cut everyone.
So who are you cutting? And who is going to replace them?
What coaches are you hiring in the middle of the season and how can you hire a coaching staff and give them instructions to not try and win? Way to implement a losing culture from the start.
Even with an early first round pick we wouldn't end up with the player you want. We would need to replace one of these players you just cut so you would probably end up drafting secondary or line depth. How exciting.

LittleD

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that most of the players have checked out mentally. Garrett's Rah-Rah style has fallen
flat and the Cowboy way of coddling players has failed once again. Jerry needs to hire Parcells to find him
the next Bellicheat so that maybe we can compete in a year or two. There must be a couple of college coaches
somewhere who can come in here and turn this Titanic around. Jerry needs an extended motel stay in France.

LittleD

Reaction score
It's not as simple as yelling fire and cut everyone.
So who are you cutting? And who is going to replace them?
What coaches are you hiring in the middle of the season and how can you hire a coaching staff and give them instructions to not try and win? Way to implement a losing culture from the start.
Even with an early first round pick we wouldn't end up with the player you want. We would need to replace one of these players you just cut so you would probably end up drafting secondary or line depth. How exciting.

The list is endless and I know you can't cut everyone until the end of the season. You have to identify potential coaches first
so that you can ascertain if you have players who can fit a new system. We've tried for too many years to fit square pegs in round
holes. Anyone on the team except Romo & Witten who is 29 years old and older would be a good start. Next would come
seeing in the next few games if any of your reserves have potential to be players. I suspect not many do so it's going to be a
work in progress for a year or two as you unload your salary cap to start over.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
This is so silly. Fire everyone mantra is so predictable. Not only is not going to happen it shouldn't happen. No one is happy about losing 7 in a row, no one! But to blame Garrett is beyond crazy. To say he has lost the team is crazy. The coaches have two main reaponsabilites, have the team ready to play and give them a chance to win the game. This team has played hard every game, I have not seen any quit in them so the notion they have gave up is just wrong. In 6 out of the 7 games they have had a chance to win but the players didn't close the game. They didn't make the play that was there for the making. Garrett can't make Dez catch a routine throw that hit him between the numbers. Garrett can't make church take a better angle to stop a touch down in OT. Garett can't make hardy win a one on one to stop a drive when it's needed. Now if you want to contend that Garett told them not do those things then I would agree that he is a bad coach but I doubt that is the case. Now coaches have some responsibility in this for sure they are not above reproach but the vast majority of the problems lie with the players not making plays they should make. And not just borderline players like Heath too but your best players like Hardy and Dez. If Garrett has one major flaw had a coach it's that he trust his best players to step up and the only one that ever does is Romo.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score

wear off. SAD!!!

My biggest problem is how do you lose 7 games in a row....don't care what the excuses are...stop the Garrett excuses.... he gets PAID to Win football games. Wade cup cake Phillips, Dave Campo, or Chan Galey never lost 7 games in a row. They were fired for less,

This team needs new ideas, and fresh leadership to crawl out of this hole. IS 8-8 a winning season.....is 8-8 a moral victory for the front office.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but it is TIME for the owner to STEP IN and demand better and hold this Front office-Coaches Staff and players accountable.

My list of must go

Garrett
Scott Linehan
Brandon Carr
Greg Hardy
RoMac

There are a lot of good coaches available this year. Start by hiring...Hue Jackson

Its time for a Change. 5yrs of moral victories has not made this franchise a contender. Just a pretender year after year

Last edited:

LittleD

Reaction score
This is so silly. Fire everyone mantra is so predictable. Not only is not going to happen it shouldn't happen. No one is happy about losing 7 in a row, no one! But to blame Garrett is beyond crazy. To say he has lost the team is crazy. The coaches have two main reaponsabilites, have the team ready to play and give them a chance to win the game. This team has played hard every game, I have not seen any quit in them so the notion they have gave up is just wrong. In 6 out of the 7 games they have had a chance to win but the players didn't close the game. They didn't make the play that was there for the making. Garrett can't make Dez catch a routine throw that hit him between the numbers. Garrett can't make church take a better angle to stop a touch down in OT. Garett can't make hardy win a one on one to stop a drive when it's needed. Now if you want to contend that Garett told them not do those things then I would agree that he is a bad coach but I doubt that is the case. Now coaches have some responsibility in this for sure they are not above reproach but the vast majority of the problems lie with the players not making plays they should make. And not just borderline players like Heath too but your best players like Hardy and Dez. If Garrett has one major flaw had a coach it's that he trust his best players to step up and the only one that ever does is Romo.

Not silly. I agree with you that it's not going to happy but should. Not blaming Garrett and his staff of coaches would be another Jerry mistake.
I, for one, am not looking forward to another decade of losing like the Campo years, etc. What would Bellicheat do if players don't make plays.
That's what I thought. This team needs a tough "butt-kicking" coach who is all business and dumps the "monkey business". Since 1995, we've pretty much been a laughing stock and I'm thinking what we've been doing hasn't worked and it's time to take a chance and turn the screw in another direction.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it's time to replace the GM then why did you just do all the new GM's thinking for him? This is the problem in Dallas. People don't even remember how a football team is supposed to function.

Forget the players and coaches. Bring in a real GM and he'll take care of the rest.

LittleD

Reaction score
If it's time to replace the GM then why did you just do all the new GM's thinking for him? This is the problem in Dallas. People don't even remember how a football team is supposed to function.

Forget the players and coaches. Bring in a real GM and he'll take care of the rest.

I can agree to that. Stephen should do the GM hiring though. I'd be okay with Parcells running things
for a year or two and maybe hiring the next GM. Time to shake the trees...

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I think the FO, needs to use the rest of the season to honestly and critically evaluate the performance of the players and coaching staff. Needs to be looked at as prove why you should stay and push the excuses aside. This season has exposed several players and coaches, make the hard changes this off season. It's better to make those changes sooner rather than later. Take a hard look through the rest of the organization, Jerry's not going anywhere, but critical evaluations need to made throughout the organization.

Sydla

Reaction score
Fans need to understand that Jerry wants Garrett in place at HC just as much as Garrett himself. The chances of a change at the position any time in the near future are slim to none.

Yep.

I think many here would agree that a chance might be necessary but many also agree that Jones would never do that. He's going to give Garrett another pass because of no Romo.

I think the only way Garrett could get fired by year end is if we continue to lay turds with Romo. Like let's say we go 2-5 or 1-6 the rest of the way, then maybe, he'd get fired.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Yep.

I think many here would agree that a chance might be necessary but many also agree that Jones would never do that. He's going to give Garrett another pass because of no Romo.

I think the only way Garrett could get fired by year end is if we continue to lay turds with Romo. Like let's say we go 2-5 or 1-6 the rest of the way, then maybe, he'd get fired.

Still wouldn't happen IMO. The only way i could see Garrett getting fired is if Romo himself in so many words told Jerry it's time for a change.

Sydla

Reaction score

Just out curiousity, at what point will you question the head coach, or any head coach for that matter?

Let's note, that it's not like Garrett is coming off years of success and at the first sign of trouble people want him gone. He's been the full time head coach for 5 years. In those 5 years, he'll have made the playoffs once. So when people talk about making a coaching change, it's not based solely on just a 7 game losing streak. It's that 7 game losing streak against a backdrop of basic ineptitude for 5 years, save for one season.

How do you people not see this?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yep.

I don't think he'll even get fired with that. I think he gets a total pass for this season.

superonyx

Reaction score
My biggest problem is how do you lose 7 games in a row....don't care what the excuses are...stop the Garrett excuses.... he gets PAID to Win football games. Wade cup cake Phillips, Dave Campo, or Chan Galey never lost 7 games in a row. They were fired for less,

This team needs new ideas, and fresh leadership to crawl out of this hole. IS 8-8 a winning season.....is 8-8 a moral victory for the front office.

There is plenty of blame to go around, but it is TIME for the owner to STEP IN and demand better and hold this Front office-Coaches Staff and players accountable.

My list of must go

Garrett
Scott Linehan
Brandon Carr
Greg Hardy
RoMac

There are a lot of good coaches available this year. Start by hiring...Hue Jackson

Its time for a Change. 5yrs of moral victories has not made this franchise a contender. Just a pretender year after year

So who are you replacing Carr with? Like it or not he is our best corner.
You want to get rid of Hardy now? The only pass rusher that even sniffs the QB. The only guy on this defense with intensity.
Every hole you create needs to be filled somehow.
Fans get all worked up over a players salary. Last I checked unused salary cap space didn't make any tackles or score any touchdowns.

This replace everyone mentality is why teams like Jacksonville stink every year.
Blowing holes in your starting lineups require you to use free agency or trust unproven rookies to improve in these areas. Generally a risky move.

Almost ever roster in the NFL has enough talent to win games. It's no coincidence that some coaches win year after year while the players all change.