Is it too late to draft a QB next year?

jay cee

Reaction score
Hostile said:
You think he'd go high in the 1st round?
Last year the Cowboys missed the playoffs and drafted 18th right?

With a strong season and his brothers success, I think Palmer could probably go higher than that.

If that is so, I'm hoping the Cowboys are not in a position to draft him.:D

tar_heel16

Reaction score
I that Kellen Clemmons guy the Jet's took in the 2nd round may have good potential down the line. If we could have only moved up a few spots to snag him.

Umm, we dealt the pick that Clemmens was drafted with to the Jets in order to move down and secure another pick, so we could have easily had him if we wanted him.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Hostile said:
At this point, meaning Bledsoe nearing the end of the line and Romo potentially unsigned and testing Free Agency as well as unproven, we would need more than a career backup.

...I would be more than happy to see the Cowboys consistently draft or bring in career backups seeing what the market has been lately for these guys.

If we can draft these guys at the sixth, seventh or pick them up FA and turn them into fourth round or better trades at some point in time we would be winning the draft value game.

That doesn't mean we have a starter on our team, but it would turn around the misery we have been feeling in our drafts of the mid 90s to early millenium and that would be a bonus in my eyes.

Starters can be had with FA and other trades, but I want to see the Cowboys focus on two areas that I feel has been neglected/underperformed in terms of talent searching - the QB and the O-line.

Also throw in a call for "kicker" too.:eek::

BTW, get rid of that ridiculous avatar now!

jay cee

Reaction score
davidyee said:
...I would be more than happy to see the Cowboys consistently draft or bring in career backups seeing what the market has been lately for these guys.

If we can draft these guys at the sixth, seventh or pick them up FA and turn them into fourth round or better trades at some point in time we would be winning the draft value game.

That doesn't mean we have a starter on our team, but it would turn around the misery we have been feeling in our drafts of the mid 90s to early millenium and that would be a bonus in my eyes.

Starters can be had with FA and other trades, but I want to see the Cowboys focus on two areas that I feel has been neglected/underperformed in terms of talent searching - the QB and the O-line.

That's a good plan, David, but I don't think it's possible until they have a good starting QB.

No one is going to trade a 1st day or early 2nd day pick for your backup qb, if you don't even have a top notch starter on your roster.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Hostile said:
You think he'd go high in the 1st round?

At this point I'm just guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised. I look at guys from "third-world D-1 programs" like Cutler, and Rothleisberger before him, who rocketed up the draft boards based on measurables and pre-draft games/workouts and think Palmer could be a similar story. Just his last name ensures he'll be a story. It seems to me that NFL QB evaluation is a game of attrition, with the first rounders being the ones who have prototypical NFL measureables to go along with their college stats.

fortdick

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Yes, I am. Shorter than 6'3" is a risk IMO.

So these guys couldn't play in the NFL?

Joe Montana
Height: 6' 2'' Weight: 197

Johnny Unitas
Height: 6-1. Weight: 195 pounds.

Steve Young
Height: 6-2; Weight: 215

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
jay cee said:
That's a good plan, David, but I don't think it's possible until they have a good starting QB.

No one is going to trade a 1st day or early 2nd day pick for your backup qb, if you don't even have a top notch starter on your roster.

... a obvious #1 or three #2's on the roster I think there is some value for other teams looking for QBs.

The position makes coaches and GMs crazy and having an abundance at that position, even if they are only second stringers, should net some value when the offseason/draft comes every spring.

If we became QB U for the NFL I wouldnt mind the benfits of that position. Whether we had a definitive starter or not.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
davidyee said:

6 days 22 hours and 4 minutes from now, that is exactly what I will be doing. Getting rid of this avatar.

We need to go back to what works David. Then we can do the late round guys to try and find a potential Brady, but it's time to stop experimenting. A true stud QBs works. We've seen it. Let's stop fiddling around with the most important position on the field and probably all of sports.

I'm calling for us to go back to elite QBs in the draft.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile said:
If Brohm comes out he may drop due to the injury he suffered today. I prefer QBs to play their Senior year because I think it really helps their development and maturity. As a Junior coming out most of these guys are 21 or 22 years old. It isn't easy for someone that young to order around vested veterans. One year doesn't make a huge difference but I just think there is something about being a Senior QB.

If he were to drop within our range, I would definitely quit trying to win the lottery and I'd draft the kid. It's still a big if.

I worry that people will start getting on the bandwagons of guys like Drew Tate, who is only 6'0" and 192 pounds, or Troy Smith who is only 6'1" and 215. Good college QBs who will likely struggle in the NFL. Why people can't figure that out is always a little baffling to me.

If anyone gets on the Drew Tate bandwagon, I'll be there to battle them through the whole process.

If Dallas just avoided Iowa players in general, it'd be alright with me. The guys coming out under Ferentz have generally been overrated in my opinion.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Hostile said:
6 days 22 hours and 4 minutes from now, that is exactly what I will be doing. Getting rid of this avatar.

We need to go back to what works David. Then we can do the late round guys to try and find a potential Brady, but it's time to stop experimenting. A true stud QBs works. We've seen it. Let's stop fiddling around with the most important position on the field and probably all of sports.

I'm calling for us to go back to elite QBs in the draft.

...is available to us in the draft, yes, then let's go after him, but if it's not available, let's not drop picking the raw grapes and trying to ripen them.

What we don't want to do is get tunnel vision and pick out of order as Jerry has want to do.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What no Brady Quinn....:lmao: After what Michigan did to him...he sure didn't look like a Heismann candidate to me :lmao2:

So let me throw this out there, since height is a ? in the NFL. And being an Ohio State fan....how about Troy Smith. Just a thought. :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jazzcat22 said:
What no Brady Quinn....:lmao: After what Michigan did to him...he sure didn't look like a Heismann candidate to me :lmao2:

So let me throw this out there, since height is a ? in the NFL. And being an Ohio State fan....how about Troy Smith. Just a thought. :D
A bad thought at that.

Let's be honest about something with Quinn yesterday.

His first INT was tipped by his target into the defender's hands for a score.

His 3rd INT his arm was being hit as he threw it.

Anyone who thinks this means he doesn't have the tools to succeed is deluded. Quinn is still the best QB in this Draft class.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
A bad thought at that.

Let's be honest about something with Quinn yesterday.

His first INT was tipped by his target into the defender's hands for a score.

His 3rd INT his arm was being hit as he threw it.

Anyone who thinks this means he doesn't have the tools to succeed is deluded. Quinn is still the best QB in this Draft class.

I'm not saying he's bad. I wouldn't mind at all if Dallas drafted him. Just had to be sarcastic, that it seemed he had a bad game, just as all QB's do. And there are circumstances that QB's can't control, but yet they still get the blame. just ask Bledsoe, he's heard that crap all week.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
What has Tony Romo shown to some of you, that make you think he is not the future at the QB position. He looks pretty promising to me. I'll take my chances with Romo before I would take my chances wasting a high pick on one of those possible busts that some of you have listed.

Unforgiven

Reaction score
jazzcat22 said:

Let's see how Smith fares against Michigan, before you put up a post like that.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
About size...have you seen Troy Smith at Ohio State yet?

Big arm...great strength! He's got a pretty big line in front of him.

6" 1".

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jazzcat22 said:

Oh...you beat me to it.

I'm seeing throws by this kid that even "tall" QB's :rolleyes::rolleyes: don't make.

Very very strong....body and arm. Accurate. 70% completion yesterday. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?

HE can run, but has learned to prefer to throw. Plays with the BIG BOYS of the Big10.

Unforgiven wants to "wait for Michigan". :banghead:

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Unforgiven said:
Let's see how Smith fares against Michigan, before you put up a post like that.

Yes, we must decipher a player's abilites to one, single, solitary game against....GASP......MICHIGAN!!!:lmao:

Let's see, how about 2 games he's already played.

vs Mich 2004- 13-23 241 yds 2 TDs 0 INTs
vs Mich 2005- 27-37 300 yds 1 TD 0 INTs

Career vs Mich 40-60 541 yds 3 TDs 0 INTs

Not to mention- 29 carries 182 yds 2 TDs

That's all I got to say about that.

ghst187

Reaction score
what about Drew Olson? could be one of those late 1st day picks that could be a good pro....maybe?