Is it too much to ask for a traditional defense with real linebackers?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Michael Pierce is the biggest guy on the dline. The others are Brent urban (former Cowboy) and 295 pound Madibuke. Basically.....we suck at run defense because our linebackers don't diagnose/fly and Quinns schemes suck vs motion (sf, Dolphins, packers).......and the edges Stat Chase.
The Cowboys suck against the run because they are undersized along the front 7 that includes Osa, Mazi, and Hankins. It’s a pick your poison league on defense. I remember when we were big and couldn’t cover anyone. Romo’s defenses was huge along the front seven but slow as molasses. The problem with Cowboys is we cannot run the football on offense. You have to have balance. Green Bay exposed all are weaknesses at once.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The Cowboys suck against the run because they are undersized along the front 7 that includes Osa, Mazi, and Hankins. It’s a pick your poison league on defense. I remember when we were big and couldn’t cover anyone. Romo’s defenses was huge along the front seven but slow as molasses. The problem with Cowboys is we cannot run the football on offense. You have to have balance. Green Bay exposed all are weaknesses at once.
Ok. I won't argue it. All I will repeat is get Dawgs that know what they are doing. First and foremost

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Michael Pierce is the biggest guy on the dline. The others are Brent urban (former Cowboy) and 295 pound Madibuke. Basically.....we suck at run defense because our linebackers don't diagnose/fly and Quinns schemes suck vs motion (sf, Dolphins, packers).......and the edges Stat Chase.
Our problem is a dumb interior D philosophy and an equally stupid approach at LB. If they're/we're serious about fielding a dominant D, they'd have added another proven Hankins type NT & a real MLB (lve sucks) last off-season plus Gilmore. In addition to Pierce, Baltimore has 2 more solid DT's that are 315 & 338 lbs, their interior D ain't banana pudding like DQ. The FO is always late to the party and most of the time it's intentional.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Ok. I won't argue it. All I will repeat is get Dawgs that know what they are doing. First and foremost
It’s such an offensive league nowadays but the Ravens have Dawgs. Living here in Baltimore Patrick Queen was considered a bust before this season and the local media wanted him traded. His 5th year option was not picked up either.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Outside out a handful of studs on the defensive end, this Quinn led group could not stop a nose bleed.

All season they struggled to stop the run, and we saw it again in the playoff loss to the Green Bay.

Also pulled some stats on Dan Quinn’s defense. DAL allowed 28.7 PPG vs winning teams — only 11.7 vs teams with losing records

IN 2022 — virtually even 20.1 PPG allowed vs winning teams 20.0 PPG allowed “otherwise” OR “vs teams .500 or worse”

https://insidethestar.com/defensive-trends-in-wrong-direction-cowboys-face-tough-questions/

kskboys

Reaction score
We've invested in the LB position, but it hasn't worked out.

Jerry really wanted to emulate the 2015 Panthers duo, and he thought he had it with Jaylon and LVE.

Since 2018 we've drafted an LB with a top 20 pick. There just hasn't been a return.
Because of very poor drafting.

kskboys

Reaction score
And because our DT's are not very good.

Gambit

Reaction score
One FA and one draft pick at least. Overshown returning.

Then move the safeties back to safety. Add a DT. We have to fix the run defense.
I like Frankie Luvu from Panthers as a FA Target 6'3 235 can blitz and provides decent rum support and doesn't break the bank.

I do think we add another DT via draft I'd love guys like T'Vondre Sweat and McKinnley Jackson

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
We have a bunch of midgets running around trying to protect the middle of the field.
It's exactly the kind of defense that I wondered would end up getting trashed by the run. As the league keeps getting more and more pass happy, teams might sell out to stop the pass, betting that they'll face teams that have sold out to be good at passing, even if it means they stink against the run. So along comes a team that goes old school, hammer them with the run, a great OL, and a great RB, and they can just run it down people's throats to set up the pass. Back in 2014 and 2016, two years when we had an exceptional O-line and an excellent runner in '14 and a juggernaut one in '16, I was thinking we would be that team. We could be the hard-nosed running team that would trash all those defenses designed to stop the pass. I didn't figure on it happening TO us. This is what I wanted to do to other teams.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well it is hard, damn near impossible to have talent and depth at every position. However, when you over allocate cap space to a player or position group, then you are intentionally deciding to have a deficit in another position. Is that poor planning or intentional planning.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Man, you are really not paying attention. There is absolutely no hindsight involved. I and several others were screaming for these proposed upgrades. You should think before making such wild erroneous accusations. Really puts you in a negative light.
Not at all, the point is to be correct not emotional.