News: Is Leighton Vander Esch the NFL’s top performing first rounder?

millennial_legend

Reaction score
If he continues playing at the high we've seen the last few weeks, I think the ROY is a given. Hell, I've seen his name mentioned as a top 5 LBer in the league. That's all pro conversation......

He doesn't have any splash stats (sacks, INTs, fumbles) just tackles.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He doesn't have any splash stats (sacks, INTs, fumbles) just tackles.

It will be even tougher now with Lee stopping progress.

LVE will be a playmaker. He's this good as a rookie. Wait until he's a step ahead of the offense consistently. He's too good of an athlete not to be.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Interesting theory. I find it hard to believe that given tampering laws, that they'd ever write such things down.

Again, it's Jerry putting himself in a bad spot. Is there any punishment to players for "tampering"? I don't think so. And players come and go quickly, while Jerry is an owner. Why put himself in the position of being outed by a player or agent for tampering?

But if true, it would change my evaluation. I still wouldn't like it, as I don't like spending lots on WRs, but that's a strategic consideration. It wouldn't consider it clownish, merely unfortunate.

But why have memoranda, instead of sign and trade, or trade and sign? If they've made their meeting of the minds, why not remove uncertainty on both sides?

"Even if Coop disappoints"
Part of my worry. There are lots of built in excuses for Cooper, and the need of Jerry not to look like a fool. This structurally turns it into just a bad deal today, because of the high likelihood of signing a contract tomorrow that is way overpriced.

If Cooper were on the free market today for a contract for the next 5 seasons, I wouldn't want to sign him to 14mil per year you project, most all guaranteed. And that's straight up, without trading a 1st.

It is what it is. You're telling me you think they've already signed up for my worst case scenario. We're giving up a 1st, *and* a huge contract, most all guaranteed, for a guy who has been meh the last season and a half.

The Chiefs actually got busted a while back for having a done deal with Jeremy Maclin in place like 2 days before the start of free agency. All those day 1 free agent signings - you can bet teams and players have been negotiating beforehand. They're not going to work through the ins and outs of a half a dozen verbal deals within a couple hours of FA opening - there are written offers in hand before the starting gun. Behind the scenes tampering is kind of normal.

I'm not going to pretend like I know if they Cowboys have a "hard" or a "soft" offer in place with Coop, but they signed him with every intent of paying him and you can bet they talked a bit with his agent about what the price tag would look like. If I was his agent, I would point towards Sammy Watkins as the closest comparison for my client: 24, top 5 draft pick, a 1000 yard season two years ago, etc. Watkins just got $16 million per year from the Chiefs, and if I was Coop's agent, I might try to push that even a little higher given the Cowboys have a 1st round pick tied up in him. This last year, Cooks just got $16 mil from the Rams, Jarvis Landry got $15 mill from the Browns, and Allen Robinson got $14 million coming off a nasty injury, so the market price for a young second-contract WR is pretty well set right now.

$16+ million a season for a WR who hasn't been good in two years is a disgusting load of cash, and if I were Coop, I'd sign that deal in 2 milliseconds. As far as the Cowboys - well, if the Joneses been paying attention in free agency, they'd know that's about the going rate for a young second-contract WR, and they know what trading a 1st round pick for a guy with one year left on his deal entails.

perrykemp

Reaction score
If he continues playing at the high we've seen the last few weeks, I think the ROY is a given. Hell, I've seen his name mentioned as a top 5 LBer in the league. That's all pro conversation......

Nice thought but it won't happen and a lot of it has to do with the position he plays.

Chubb is on pace for 15 sacks in Denver which would make his selection of DROY as pretty much certain.

Splash plays matter for these kinds of awards.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
LVE is a great player, but Da'Ron Payne is balling right now.

Denzel Ward has had his moments too, and Sony Michel and Saquon are also putting together solid seasons.

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure but I am happy we have him on our team. He will only get better and has an unlimited ceiling if he stays healthy.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
It will be even tougher now with Lee stopping progress.

LVE will be a playmaker. He's this good as a rookie. Wait until he's a step ahead of the offense consistently. He's too good of an athlete not to be.
Right. But the best ILBs in the NFL (non-edge rushers) get about 3-4 sacks and 2-3 ints per year along with around 2 ff and 0-2 fr and 100+ tackles, more than half solo.

Number1

Reaction score
Is Leighton Vander Esch the NFL’s top performing first rounder?..

IMO, he was the best prospect in the draft. Awesome athlete, a born MLB, that's rare. I'm still glad he didn't go in the top 5.

I did run a full time 4-2 with him at MLB, Lee at WLB, and Jaylon at SS, Heath at FS ... but they don't listen to me.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Jerry gets Cooper signed long-term. I don't think Jerry makes the trade if he didn't think he could sign Cooper long-term...

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Have to play out the year to know. There’s 2 other defensive rookies who are really good too. Denzel Ward in Cle and Daron Payne at DT in WAS. Obviously Ward will garner votes from ints,and Payne for helping them have a top notch run defense,but if LVE comes up with a ball or two and a couple sacks...I’d think he could grab the DROY honor. He really has exceeded expectations.