Is McCarthy on the hot seat this year?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Injuries including Daks devastating season ending pretty well saved our HC from being held directly accountable for a disappointing year.

Instead with a poor defensive year after several personnel moves losing starters to FA and signing others in FA , the personal moves and coaching schemes was a total failure. Hence a coaching change on defense.

Now that Dak has been signed and our franchise QB is secured our expectations should be back to where they were when we decided this team was under achieving with the base of talent they had.

It’s why we brought in a proven HC like McCarthy because we believed this team should be advancing further and expected to win now.

So, has anything changed ? Are our expectations still the same as last year ?

How do we measure whether McCarthy is getting the most out of the talent base we have . The talent we thought should be taking us further than it did in 2019 and 8-8.
The buck stops with Jerrah and Stephen. Big Mike has been taken off the meat hook. But I think everybody knows Big Mike is just a fall guy. The Jones are going to continue to do what they do but watch for Moore to be our new HC so the Jones can continue to do things their way. but we continue to hope for coaches with guts but he get lap dogs instead. Mike has no real power here in Dallas.just like Wade Phillips and Parcells never did. Garrett was the bottom of the barrel. We all know that. Our hopes blind us about Big Mike and where we are going. Just saying.

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
McCarthy was a handicap last season, so he don't get a pass for performing poorly. He probably won't get fired, but a good team probably won't have hired dude.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
McCarthy was a handicap last season, so he don't get a pass for performing poorly. He probably won't get fired, but a good team probably won't have hired dude.
All anybody has to do is remember his special team playcalling that never worked. My analytics blowing in the wind. He has no sense of playcalling. He had Farve and Rodgers instead. By now we all have to realize Jerrah oversold Big Mike.reminds me of myself. Like the time I asked my 1st wife to marry me after knowing her a month. Big mistake I realized one morning at breakfast after I learned I was a in essence still single and took over shopping and cooking like when I was single.
Such better cook than she was. Marriage was over that morning. Same as the way Jerrah must be feeling the same way about. Hiring Big Mike. Big Mike can't cook up a team.either nor is he a FA analytic. remorse baby. Jerrah probably knew this and hired him anyway so it looked like he was trying to fix the Garrett era.And we all fell for it hook line and sinker.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't know about hot seat. Other than Chan Gailey, Jerry doesn't normally let go of coaches after 2 seasons. I don't know what happened that got Gailey fired, but I don't think it'd be what would ultimately result in McCarthy getting just as quick of a hook. Especially as last season was a disaster in every shape and form......with it being 2020. So, I suspect that was a redshirt/mulligan year. I suspect Jerry will see this as a more "official" first year for McCarthy unless it turns out to be a season of catastrophic proportions. However, if we miss the playoffs but have a decent season, his hotseat will be the following season. If he makes the playoffs or better, then no danger. I personally expect the NFC Division or NFCC rounds at this point however. He would frequently be able to get the Packers to the NFCC and he got them there his second season as the Packers HC with Favre at QB. However, I don't think Jerry will have quite that same expectation for McCarthy for this season.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I'm on the hotseat. Thinking bout buying that Mahomes Jersey. ..;)...

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is definitely one of those crossroad seasons for Dallas. They're making a run for it with keeping McCarthy, ousting Nolan and hiring Quinn.

I don't think McCarthy is on the hot-seat unless something similar to 2020 happens. That was such an incredibly dreadful season, especially on defense. I can't imagine that happening again with another DC in house UNLESS the talent we have is way overvalued.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
He should be, imo.

There's no point in wasting time on him if he continues to make bone head decisions that costs us games.

This man couldn't win enough games with Aaron Rodgers as his QB to keep his job. So, why wait?

Also, I just wish Jerry would hire a big name college coach instead of these old timers that have been passed around the league. The last time the doofus in charge hired a big time college coach he started a dynasty.

Problem with a big name college coach is you could get a Jimmy Johnson, but you have a greater chance of getting Barry Switzer.

Rayman70

Reaction score
MM is on the hottest of seats, YES. He showed last year that he might not be a fit in the Dallas pressure cooker. His ridiculous stubbornness and excuses cost us at least 2 games last year. Not taking control and delegating to Nolan was a terrible mistake. Change was needed early in 2020 and he continued to stand at the podium spewing his lies after bad loss,after bad loss.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Finally watched some of that presser from last week just last night, and gotta say, I was initially impressed that he seemed to feel more at-home and in-control. But then came the question (was it by Slater?... it was a female...) that seemed to push a button that set him off, and it sent him into some clear defensive posture, and a rambling word salad response that quickly took me back to last year's seemingly-never-quite-secure version of McCarthy.

Look, I think he's always been a better strategist and coach than public face of football operations, so it doesn't really scare me the way it might for most coaches. Having a SB ring, I suppose, grants that benefit.

But answering the OP, there is a scenario where this thing goes off the rails similar to 2020, and sure, job security could become an issue. There has to be improvement over 2020 at the very least. If there's not, I'm one of those who can easily imagine the "It wasn't as good a fit as we thought it would be" speech.