Is Michael Gallup the best WR from his draft class?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Nothing about DJ Moore screams way better then Gallup.

All he's ever done is produce in absolutely garbage offenses. Got 1000 yards at Maryland with 8 different QBs throwing the ball in his senior season. Got 780 as a rookie with a hobbled Cam. Got 1100 this year with a sub-NFL quarterback. He's already at that high-floor, high-ceiling level that the very best guys are, like Evans, Hopkins, and Julio. When everything around him goes to hell and breaks down, he still produces. If he ever gets in a good situation, he'll just produce even more.

Gallup's had one big year on the league's #1 offense. I like him, but I'll elevate him to Moore's level when he has an 1100 yard season with Cooper Rush starting.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I did like Chark too and that was unpopular as well..
We need to hit on a WR like DJ Chark in this draft, I would love to discuss potential draft picks, but probably would get moved.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We need to hit on a WR like DJ Chark in this draft, I would love to discuss potential draft picks, but probably would get moved.

This WR class is ridiculously good too.

I want some speed added to our offense.. Ruggs or Reagor would be awesome.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I did like Chark too and that was unpopular as well..
I was with you on Chark if it was late 2nd or 3rd.

The guy many on the CowboysZone missed on was Equanimeous St Brown.
Was not in on that guy. Not sure, but you may've liked him
There were guys here wanting him in the 2nd round and all the way beyond. A couple even thought he was the cream of the crop.
Okay pick by Green Bay to risk him at the end of the 6th round
:laugh:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This WR class is ridiculously good too.

I want some speed added to our offense.. Ruggs or Reagor would be awesome.
Higgins
Jefferson
Davis
All them, plus ,,, make me one happy cowboy fan, and Dak will be unchained!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I was with you on Chark if it was late 2nd or 3rd.

The guy many on the CowboysZone missed on was Equanimeous St Brown.
Was not in on that guy. Not sure, but you may've liked him
There were guys here wanting him in the 2nd round and all the way beyond. A couple even thought he was the cream of the crop.
Okay pick by Green Bay to risk him at the end of the 6th round
:laugh:

I did like St Brown as well. There was rumors that teams were worried about a Lavar Ball situation with his dad and that he didn’t love football.

I liked Charks speed and how he could be a big play threat against teams focusing on Zeke.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Higgins
Jefferson
Davis
All them, plus ,,, make me one happy cowboy fan, and Dak will be unchained!

There is just so many good prospects that teams are going to struggle rankings these guys.. Almost seems impossible to do.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There is just so many good prospects that teams are going to struggle rankings these guys.. Almost seems impossible to do.
I will be overjoyed just sitting back and letting one drop where they shouldn't be, just like Gallup did.
Excellent year for WRs.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
All three are very good young players. I'm just glad Gallup was a steal in the 3rd round.

SSoup

Reaction score
None of them look like they can be a true #1 WR. Right now, they all look to me like good #2's and bad #1's.

So since they should all only be a complimentary #2, it largely depends on what role they need to fill to be the compliment.

I would trade Gallup for Calvin Ridley straight-up right now if I could. Just because of Ridley's TD production alone (already had seasons of 10 TD and 7 TD) making me think he's got a better knack for being a scorer in the redzone. Gallup has been the better deep threat. But I'd take a knack for TDs over a few extra yards per catch (which lowers his catch percentage anyway -- there are always trade-offs). And Ridley comes with an extra year of team control to sweeten the pot, even though I know that's a cheap move to factor that in when we're just talking about who is better.

That said, I could see the argument for sticking with Gallup too. He's younger. His yards per catch is better. I think we can all probably agree he has untapped potential as a 1st down producer, because he's yet to play on a Dallas team that wasn't obsessed with using the TE or Beasley to move the chains on 3rd down. Gallup's route-running and hands are good enough that I think he'd thrive if we ever decided to use him to move the chains more and make him less of the token deep threat. This isn't like Terence Williams who was a token deep threat but whose route-running and hands never made you think, "Ooh, maybe we should change it up and do something with him other than send him long." Gallup would actually thrive in other usages, I think.

I can also see that maybe Ridley is benefiting from being the oldest of the bunch and coming from the best college situation. Like, maybe he just came in the most prepared and the closest to his ceiling. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was the worst of the 3 a few years from now once they've all turned into whatever it is they'll be as finished products.

D.J. Moore is a pure wildcard to me because of the bad passing game he's found himself in. He was force-fed 132 targets last year, more than Ridley or Gallup could hope to sniff in their situations, and he didn't produce appreciably better numbers. That said, if the Panthers pair him with a good passer and a serious passing offense, maybe he blows up and is the only true #1 of the bunch. Who knows?

mmohican29

Reaction score
I did like St Brown as well. There was rumors that teams were worried about a Lavar Ball situation with his dad and that he didn’t love football.

I liked Charks speed and how he could be a big play threat against teams focusing on Zeke.

Lazard might be the better player than Eq.St.B on GB. Really wanted him as a UDFA.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Gallup is a great complement to Amari but he is not a replacement for Amari.

quickccc

Reaction score
You mean Denver's Courtland Sutton (SMU Mustang's own) isn't in the WR class discussion ?

Especially since it was rumored at draft time that if Sutton had still been on the availability board in the 2nd round, Cowboys were prepared to nab him.
Turns out Denver was the ones that snagged Sutton, and coincidentally another prospect the Cowboys coveted, and thought he'd be gone by their pick, ended up
sliding down enough to where team had a shot at him, and nabbed Conner Williams OG from Texas.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Moore, Sutton and Gallup are neck and neck. Ridley is good, but he didnt make the jump like the other 3 did
I think Moore and Sutton are pretty far ahead of Gallup right now, because they're already their team's #1s AND have good numbers despite poor QB play.

Ridley was never athletic enough to be in the first round, idk why everyone was so obsessed with him.