Is Mike McCarthy forcing Quinn to run Dan Nolans 31st ranked defense again?

RS12

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think Quinn was hired by or reports to McCarthy. McCarthy is a rotund figure head. Jerry has been in love with and trying to recreate the legion of boom for a decade. We all know how that has worked.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Dak Attack--- if we get a sniff they are trying to tmplement the worst defense in NFL last year from Nolan...we will have to huddle and form a "black ops" takedown...cuz none of that crap better occur

Lets see how training camp shapes up maybe they will adjust as they see the players talent in real life!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
While listening to Quinn's press conference he mentioned that the defense will play 3-4 with D-Law standing up but then says majority of time it will be 4 man when it's nickel. Is he forcing defense to play 3-4 to keep injury prone Neal on the field to get a new contract?

This is a 4 man defense period if you want some flex then switch the DE out that can play OLB like Gregory, Anae, D-Law. If you want extra coverage take one of the LB who can't cover but if you have LB that can cover then it's pointless to go to nickel or dime.

Please God do not give us another season of Mike Nolans's defense.

I think he is, weeks ago, I watched a vid with mike, and he said as much, that the defense would not change much and much of nolans defense
would still be intact.
He said what they were going to do was not that much different than Nolan's scheme .
This may have been right before quinn was hired, or right after, not sure.

I thought it was odd, because nolan was fired, but your still going to run his defense??

So I dont know how much freedom quinn actually has, I was thinking he had a lot, but you never know with the circus.

Maybe quinns defense is just similar to what nolan was trying to do?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Idk about that it was McCarthy in the draft room that was dapping up Jerry, Stephen & McClay!

If it’s Quinn then I don’t want any of that ATL B.S. give me what was in Seattle which was always 4-3 with four man front. They just replaced one of the LBs with DB & put in Irvin who is a LB that could rush. Also they made Bennett play wide so he can cover the flats for RB & Screens or stop read option.

Dak attack---i like your threads...dont listen to haters

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While listening to Quinn's press conference he mentioned that the defense will play 3-4 with D-Law standing up but then says majority of time it will be 4 man when it's nickel. Is he forcing defense to play 3-4 to keep injury prone Neal on the field to get a new contract?

This is a 4 man defense period if you want some flex then switch the DE out that can play OLB like Gregory, Anae, D-Law. If you want extra coverage take one of the LB who can't cover but if you have LB that can cover then it's pointless to go to nickel or dime.

The entire sports media is saying that the Cowboys let Dan Quinn run the draft...

FYI, Dan Quinn is the guy the Cowboys have wanted as their DC going back to when they hired Kiffin/Marinelli.

The front is irrelevant. Penetration front vs read and react is the key difference with regards to Nolan vs Quinn/Marinelli or Wade Phillips.

The Wade Phillips 3-4 and Marinelli's 4-3 were much more similar than Nolan's 3-4.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO, the Joneses aren't even letting McCarthy speak to Quinn. He's lucky Quinn doesn't have his job.
If Quinn had been available last year, he would have McCarthy's job, IMO.

The Cowboys have wanted to hire Quinn and run his style of defense going back several years.

When they hired Kiffin/Marinelli they said they wanted to emulate the Seattle defense.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know it's a Sunday morning.....but what the hell?????

Good grief.

Big Dog---i just want out team to be good...real good....i feel we wasted 3 out of 4 picks in premium 3rd round...but i would rather be dead wrong and eat crow than be right about this...lets roll out a smash mouth
team 2021

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
The entire sports media is saying that the Cowboys let Dan Quinn run the draft...

FYI, Dan Quinn is the guy the Cowboys have wanted as their DC going back to when they hired Kiffin/Marinelli.

The front is irrelevant. Penetration front vs read and react is the key difference with regards to Nolan vs Quinn/Marinelli or Wade Phillips.

The Wade Phillips 3-4 and Marinelli's 4-3 were much more similar than Nolan's 3-4.

No they weren’t Marinelli’s scheme was similar to Pete Carroll’s 4-3 defense and Nolan was similar to Philips.

It’s still irrelevant the best scheme that works for Cowboys with the type of players they draft and that got them 5 SBs is the 4-3 defense. :starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::thumbdown:

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
The Seahawks and the 4-3 Under Front: Winds of change? - Field Gulls

MuthHawks-1.jpg

4-3_Under_medium_JPG.jpg

4-3_Over_2_medium_JPG.jpg

Dude those alignments where used maybe 20% of the snaps get that pooooo out of here.

conner01

Reaction score
In my opinion...
Gregory would be better at OLB than he is at DE. So would Anae, but DLaw will suck at it. But we all know Jerry is not going to allow his 20 million dollar man sit on the sidelines.

Having three DT's on the field would help our run defense, though. So I kind of welcome the thought of a 3-4.
70% of time we will be in Nickel so if he thinks a 3/4 on likely run downs is better than last years crap I’m fine with it

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

God no not another one. If I was a mod you would be banned or at least not allowed to create new threads. When will this guys insanity stop?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike Nolan was a scapegoat. He got to Dallas in the midst of the CV epidemic and had very little say over the roster and barely got to meet the players let alone implement his program. We picked the worst possible time to switch coaching staffs. We sucked even before Dak went down.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Nothing gets past you.

200.gif

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It'll be another hybrid front defense, albeit with different responsibilities and gap assignments.