Twitter: Is Osa a Zim-type Defensive Lineman?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Screw having a "type".

Having a type is for losers.

Having a type is what causes you to draft a 320 lb supposed run stuffer over Aaron Donald because Donald isn't fat.

exciter

Reaction score
Run right at him
Lol, we finished 16th vs the run at 112 yards per game. One spot higher than the Chiefs at 113 ypg. I guess just run at Chris Jones eh? Oh, and the Ravens who everyone seems to hold as the gold standard were 14th at 109 ypg. But hey, don’t let actual facts interfere with your preconceived notions!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Lol, we finished 16th vs the run at 112 yards per game. One spot higher than the Chiefs at 113 ypg. I guess just run at Chris Jones eh? Oh, and the Ravens who everyone seems to hold as the gold standard were 14th at 109 ypg. But hey, don’t let actual facts interfere with your preconceived notions!
Doesn't matter to me, he was in there with them boys that ended our season, caused us to get gashee throughout the year

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Unless you watched GB run over him the whole game.
In a 4-3 Osa is a pass rush DT. Role player. Big role, but still.

Osa is just more valuable on a team with a 3-4 Run/4-3 Pass mix. Then he's a full time starter. Not that he'll play 100%, but he's got a role that fits in both sets.

If he's more valuable elsewhere he'll be paid more elsewhere. Bye.

And here we're seeing one of the downsides of a General Marketer instead of a General Manager. New DC means new defensive philosophy means existing players become a poor fit.

Mazi would have been a similar issue if they hadn't already daintied him up into a marginal 3tech.

With the move to Zim, DT is transforming from liability to disaster. Just who is supposed to play DT now? And *next year*?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Screw having a "type".

Having a type is for losers.

Having a type is what causes you to draft a 320 lb supposed run stuffer over Aaron Donald because Donald isn't fat.
Bosa is a better argument.

Woulda picked Donald if he were still on the board.

But those guys are the exceptions that prove the rule. For non-superstars, type does matter. Osa is just not an every down DT. Too small. Same deal with Crawford.

It seemed for years that we were trying to transition to more 3-4. Osa was a move in that direction. Mazi seemed like it until they trimmed 25 lbs off him. The future at DT looks even worse than the recent past.

kskboys

Reaction score
In a 4-3 Osa is a pass rush DT. Role player. Big role, but still.

Osa is just more valuable on a team with a 3-4 Run/4-3 Pass mix. Then he's a full time starter. Not that he'll play 100%, but he's got a role that fits in both sets.

If he's more valuable elsewhere he'll be paid more elsewhere. Bye.

And here we're seeing one of the downsides of a General Marketer instead of a General Manager. New DC means new defensive philosophy means existing players become a poor fit.

Mazi would have been a similar issue if they hadn't already daintied him up into a marginal 3tech.

With the move to Zim, DT is transforming from liability to disaster. Just who is supposed to play DT now? And *next year*?
I like Osa, nice player. He's simply not worth a big contract and is better as a rotational guy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Bosa is a better argument.

Woulda picked Donald if he were still on the board.

But those guys are the exceptions that prove the rule. For non-superstars, type does matter. Osa is just not an every down DT. Too small. Same deal with Crawford.

It seemed for years that we were trying to transition to more 3-4. Osa was a move in that direction. Mazi seemed like it until they trimmed 25 lbs off him. The future at DT looks even worse than the recent past.
Ooooh, you shoulda seen the screaming and yelling when Osa got drafted and I called him Crawford part deux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a little hate for that one. Funny thing is, they're both nice players, good to have on a team. Just gotta use them right, most likely limit their snaps.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Ooooh, you shoulda seen the screaming and yelling when Osa got drafted and I called him Crawford part deux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a little hate for that one. Funny thing is, they're both nice players, good to have on a team. Just gotta use them right, most likely limit their snaps.
Another parallel - Crawford was in the last draft of The Dude, for 3-4.

They're just tweeners in a 4-3.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Mike Zimmer will be smart enough to realize that he can only go so far with the DTs that he has.

I think there's a good chance that he'll opt to change things for the better, with bigger DTs in the future.

Of course, I'm assuming he'll remain with the Cowboys long enough to make it happen, at some point!

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Not having a "type" is what causes you to draft tweeners and not improve!!!
I agree you have to have a gameplan on players you think will perform in your system, but I also believe if you spend too much time looking at measurables and trying to find the right body types you may miss out on a special player. Great players will find a way to perform regardless of the system and its the coaches job to get the most out of them. When you draft the prototypical player for your system sometimes you end up with a Taco instead of a Watt.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree you have to have a gameplan on players you think will perform in your system, but I also believe if you spend too much time looking at measurables and trying to find the right body types you may miss out on a special player. Great players will find a way to perform regardless of the system and its the coaches job to get the most out of them. When you draft the prototypical player for your system sometimes you end up with a Taco instead of a Watt.
Actually, we've been doing the opposite. We've been focusing on special players, and so have missed out on stalwarts such as Creed Humprey and Asante Samuel Jr.

We desperately need to focus on body types and measurables and even more important, guys who can play football. Think about it, ignoring body types caused us to take Trysten Hill.

Prototypical is prototypical because that is the body type that most often finds success. W/ TJ Watt, it had nothing to do w/ prototypical, we took Taco because of scheme, not prototypical.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Actually, we've been doing the opposite. We've been focusing on special players, and so have missed out on stalwarts such as Creed Humprey and Asante Samuel Jr.

We desperately need to focus on body types and measurables and even more important, guys who can play football. Think about it, ignoring body types caused us to take Trysten Hill.

Prototypical is prototypical because that is the body type that most often finds success. W/ TJ Watt, it had nothing to do w/ prototypical, we took Taco because of scheme, not prototypical.
One item that gets overlooked is, incredibly, how good is the player at their main job.... catching... tackling... what production/instincts/motor do they have?