Is our offensive scheme helpful to Trey Lance

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It seems that Trey Lance is at his best when he's able to use his legs. Now, he does have a big arm, i'm sure he's working on some other fine tuning things of his game. With that said, is this offense beneficial to his growth, and to make him shine in games using his abilities. We like to use a lot of Shotgun, would we be better using more RPO's etc to help him/QB draws. I think plays like these would highlight the skills he does well, showing us how good he can be. I still would like to see him pass the ball, we have to get the ball down the field to our weapons Lamb/Cooks/Ferg etc. Please give your thoughts on our offense, and how you think it benefits Lance or could hinder him....

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
No scheme can hide all your faults. A DC will find them and exploit them eventually.

All QBs have faults. Some worse and more fundamental than others.

The one thing mobility does, is it buys you time to stress a defence and see opportunities.

If it is a conventional play, then you have to have superior recognition skills to beat a defence because they have smart people on the other side of the fence. They will disguise and obfuscate things to make you read things incorrectly and entice you into mistakes due to your inexperience.

Mobility buys time for more clarity and opportunity. Can an OC build in plays with mobility? Yes, but a DC will eventually see a pattern there also. So the best QBs execute on-script, but they also stress the heck out of your defence because they execute well off-script.

What do we have in Lance? Don;t know, but I look forward to seeing it in action against Cooper Rush in training camp.

ATXSRT

Reaction score
Every offense that Dak has had has been dumbed down for him. He doesn't have the mechanics like other QBs to be able to uplift everyone around him. He's not mobile anymore, he doesn't have a quick release, receivers have to have 3+ ft of separation to make throws, etc....

Lance has fresh legs, and quick release. McCarthy's offense I think is geared more towards Lance than it is for Dak. Dak has to have a great run game behind him so he can flourish. He's not ever going to beat the other team with his arm. Every playoff game he's had that he's tried to beat the other team with his arm he's failed miserably. Dak was really only great his rookie year when he had Elliot. It's time to move on.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Every offense that Dak has had has been dumbed down for him. He doesn't have the mechanics like other QBs to be able to uplift everyone around him. He's not mobile anymore, he doesn't have a quick release, receivers have to have 3+ ft of separation to make throws, etc....

Lance has fresh legs, and quick release. McCarthy's offense I think is geared more towards Lance than it is for Dak. Dak has to have a great run game behind him so he can flourish. He's not ever going to beat the other team with his arm. Every playoff game he's had that he's tried to beat the other team with his arm he's failed miserably. Dak was really only great his rookie year when he had Elliot. It's time to move on.
Dead on. Great post.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have yet to see Lance play 1 play for the Cowboys. Any assessment of this offense and him in it would be a guess at this point.

The fact is, a QB has to be able to throw the football. It's great if he can buy time with his legs but to be successful he has to have an arm, and a brain to go with it. Lance struggle in the offense in SF, the same offense that made Brock Purdy a star. You want to bet on him in Dallas?

Chasing6

Reaction score
It seems that Trey Lance is at his best when he's able to use his legs. Now, he does have a big arm, i'm sure he's working on some other fine tuning things of his game. With that said, is this offense beneficial to his growth, and to make him shine in games using his abilities. We like to use a lot of Shotgun, would we be better using more RPO's etc to help him/QB draws. I think plays like these would highlight the skills he does well, showing us how good he can be. I still would like to see him pass the ball, we have to get the ball down the field to our weapons Lamb/Cooks/Ferg etc. Please give your thoughts on our offense, and how you think it benefits Lance or could hinder him....
He is not goin got play. Why does it matter???

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Trey Lance doesn't have the skills or the knowledge to be a bonafide starter in the NFL. The 9ers gave him his best shot to be the guy and he couldn't even stay healthy enough to stay on the field. At this point and time it's very apparent that this young man came out of college way too early and he's probably going to be viewed as a huge bust in the NFL while the dust settles on him. What's really mind boggling with this Trey Lance thing is that the Cowboys think they can fix this guy!!!!!!!!! All of a sudden the Cowboys are the QB whispers in the NFL, this is a major joke since they have a QB under wraps who has been paid hundreds of millions of dollars and can't seem to get past a 1st round playoff game. Hey Jerry, how about you fix what's ailing Prescot before rummaging thru the discount pile of QBs who can be had for pennies on the dollar and don't have an ounce of talent to be a starter in the NFL.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trey Lance doesn't have the skills or the knowledge to be a bonafide starter in the NFL. The 9ers gave him his best shot to be the guy and he couldn't even stay healthy enough to stay on the field. At this point and time it's very apparent that this young man came out of college way too early and he's probably going to be viewed as a huge bust in the NFL while the dust settles on him. What's really mind boggling with this Trey Lance thing is that the Cowboys think they can fix this guy!!!!!!!!! All of a sudden the Cowboys are the QB whispers in the NFL, this is a major joke since they have a QB under wraps who has been paid hundreds of millions of dollars and can't seem to get past a 1st round playoff game. Hey Jerry, how about you fix what's ailing Prescot before rummaging thru the discount pile of QBs who can be had for pennies on the dollar and don't have an ounce of talent to be a starter in the NFL.
Niners bunted on 2 down. Now it is 4th down.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I have yet to see Lance play 1 play for the Cowboys. Any assessment of this offense and him in it would be a guess at this point.

The fact is, a QB has to be able to throw the football. It's great if he can buy time with his legs but to be successful he has to have an arm, and a brain to go with it. Lance struggle in the offense in SF, the same offense that made Brock Purdy a star. You want to bet on him in Dallas?
No just going off the offensive formation/plays that you've seen us run for the how ever many years we've been in this offense

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think Lance is fine as is, as long as the Dallas Cowboys are playing Northern Iowa. How would anyone possibly know what he’s best at doing in the NFL when he never gets to do any of it? Mostly, we know he quickly gets injured when he plays in an NFL game. Dak is not going to agree to any trade, particularly one that degrades the team he’d go to. He and his agent negotiated to put him in a position to become a free agent. They’re going to do exactly that. If there is any belief Trey Lance has a scintilla of a chance to be a productive NFL QB, cut Dak, and make Lance QB1. It’s time to find out one way or the other.

75boyz

Reaction score

Yeah somebody said it in another thread. A much better front office and coaching staff gave up on him after a considerable amount of draft capital was invested in him. So, I'll remain doubtful until proven otherwise.

Qcard

Reaction score
Bruh.... anything will help a 1st RD bust :lmao: :lmao:

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think Lance is fine as is, as long as the Dallas Cowboys are playing Northern Iowa. How would anyone possibly know what he’s best at doing in the NFL when he never gets to do any of it? Mostly, we know he quickly gets injured when he plays in an NFL game. Dak is not going to agree to any trade, particularly one that degrades the team he’d go to. He and his agent negotiated to put him in a position to become a free agent. They’re going to do exactly that. If there is any belief Trey Lance has a scintilla of a chance to be a productive NFL QB, cut Dak, and make Lance QB1. It’s time to find out one way or the other.
Trance is an illusion at best. I won't even call it an experiment. It was dumb from day one, knowing he would never play under his current contract.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We'll have to wait to see if what the FO has been saying about Lance is true or not. We won't even start to find out until TC gets underway.

I'm as anxious as anyone to find out what he's got in store for this team, assuming he gets a fair opportunity to prove himself. We'll see . . .

All we have right now is a hope that what the Cowboys brass has been saying is for real. Of course, that only goes so far -- to be continued.

Last edited: