Is our OL still considered Elite?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Unknown until we see the OL and watch them play. C and LG are a ? and that's a big ?

McC seemed to make his OL's work above their talent level in GB, even when he started 5 G's in one game because of injury. It will be a priority with him.
He will have talent across the board he hasn’t had before. He will be happy. Dak ain’t rogers but he will make it work...

glimmerman

Reaction score
Run blocking? Nearly elite

Pass blocking? Good
I just hope MM wants to use them and run Elliot and Pollard. Pass off that and not the other way around. He will see during the game and make adjustments. I think he will make in game adjustments and go for the throat. We haven’t had a HC like that before.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
-Connor Williams-I believe many Cowboy fans don't give him any credit what so ever and believe he is a total bust of a draft pick. First of all, not many rookies are successful plug and play starters, especially learning to play a brand new position. When Connor Williams came in this league, many believe he needs to add more weight to his frame, he did just that after his first season. He clearly was a better player in year 2 and is still developing. Don't be surprised when he beats the competition and starts against this season. Last thing I will say, he isn't a Tackle, there is a reason why they are playing him inside at Guard as he is short armed for the Tackle position.

I'll admit I don't know OL play from a hole in the wall but I think you're listening to a loud few who don't like Williams. I haven't seen anyone call him a bust. In fact, that's been my issue in that people were rushing to excuses for him but had already decided Trysten Hill was a bust before even seeing the field. Meanwhile, WIlliams is getting pushed all over the field his rookie season and didn't get his job back when Sua Filo filled in admirably for him. He did do better last season, yes, but if you're talking about "competition" for him in his 3rd year after being drafted in the 2nd Round, that's not a good return on value, IMO. I don't have to know OL play to assess that. That's just logic. While we rue not taking TJ Watt over Taco, we we also could have had DE Sam Hubbard instead of Williams. If he did what he did here versus in Cincy, our RDE issue would be solved and we'd be talking about a dominant front four that probably would have made the playoffs last year and had a chance at a serious run this season.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Is the OL still considered elite? No, but they are still young enough as a group to play at an elite level again. With better coaching, better health and more development it is possible.

I agree with the people saying "depends on the meaning of elite".

It will be an above average group if everyone stays healthy but it isn't going to dominate people the way this group did in the past.

The talent level is there if they stay healthy but the biggest factors (by far) are staying healthy and how they execute as a group. Execution largely depends on the group being healthy enough to get another reps together to develop continuity, something people always forget.

Dallas had high second round grades on Williams and McGovern, if both those guys continue to develop and everyone stays healthy it absolutely could be a very good OL. Maybe not "elite", but very good.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Dallas OL may or may not be "elite." I'm reluctant to crown the OL with that honor until they've proven it in the heat of battle. The talent is such that they've had success in the past but injuries have taken a toll on several of the starters in recent years. Tyron Smith, Zack Martin and La'el Collins are all included in that group that's been injured in the past. How their health holds up should be important in the OL's evaluation.

Tyler Biadasz is a rookie that holds great promise but has, as yet, been untested in the professional game. Let's hope they're able to match the hype that they've been afforded thus far. I'm confident that this OL will be quite good but elite is yet another level to be considered. The backups have likely improved but to what extent is yet to be fully tested. The promise they hold does appear encouraging, however.

Last edited:

DanA

Reaction score
I think we're in the top 5 mix with the 49ers Saints, Colts, Eagles and Ravens. Browns might be in the mix too after adding Wills and Conklin. With us losing Frederick and the Eagles losing Peters there isn't really a standout elite O-line this year though. Not like we were in 2014 at least.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I think next years draft and free agency should be used to fix a couple of holes on Both the offensive and defensive lines.

conner01

Reaction score
I’d say having the second best run blocking line makes them elite.
Hard to say
We are gonna have a new center and possibly another change on oline
I do think MM will do a better job of putting them in situations where the defense is a bit more confused which helps the oline
If the D knows what you are doing it’s hard on oline

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
That a center isn't mentioned in this assessment pretty much says we aren't elite.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In my opinion, the Cowboy OL was truly elite under Bill Callahan and hasn't been the same since he left. Pollack failed to get his unit to match previous success and was let go in just 2 season, the hiring of Paul Alexander was an utter disaster. Columbo did a better job replacing Alexander, but was let go this offseason as MM wanted to hire his own staff.

I believe Columbo was running more of a man blocking scheme last season compared to Callahan's Zone Blocking Scheme. The biggest benefactor was Collins as he had his best season as a pro. Joe Philbin will bring back the Zone Blocking Scheme, but I have read an old article saying his coaching is more about the fundamentals then the scheme. We heard the same thing from MM regarding the draft, just find us good players and we will scheme around their strengths. This is very refreshing to hear. Let's take a quick look at some of our OL personnel:

-Tyron-it's hard to believe he is only 29 years old. Injuries have taken a toll, but is still a high level blind spot protector in this league. From my own viewpoint, he struggles with edge speed, but if he gets his hands on you, it's game, set, match. He will miss a few starts, but he is still a very good LT in this league.

-Martin-he is also 29 years old, coming off an injury plaque season. Clearly he wasn't right all season and it showed at times. Like Tyron, dealing with back concerns. Even if Martin isn't playing at 100%. he is still better then the majority of Guards in this league.

-Collins-most of us, including myself were scratches our heads when we heard about his extension last season. Boy, were we wrong. Had a tremendous, breakout season, in which he was relatively heathy, which was a big issue for him earlier in his career. He is one of the best RT's in this league and is still getting better.

-Connor Williams-I believe many Cowboy fans don't give him any credit what so ever and believe he is a total bust of a draft pick. First of all, not many rookies are successful plug and play starters, especially learning to play a brand new position. When Connor Williams came in this league, many believe he needs to add more weight to his frame, he did just that after his first season. He clearly was a better player in year 2 and is still developing. Don't be surprised when he beats the competition and starts against this season. Last thing I will say, he isn't a Tackle, there is a reason why they are playing him inside at Guard as he is short armed for the Tackle position.

Is the OL still considered elite? No, but they are still young enough as a group to play at an elite level again. With better coaching, better health and more development it is possible.

It was elite in 2016. It was very good last year. 2017 and 2018 it simply wasn't close to elite.

Bottom line is that this Oline is beginning to be rebuilt. The last 3 picks of Williams, MGovern, Biadasz is the new blood. Tyron Smith is fading. Hopefully two of those guys can become legit starters and one of those 3 can be a pro bowl type.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
The last time we saw them on the field they were not elite.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It was elite in 2016. It was very good last year. 2017 and 2018 it simply wasn't close to elite.

Bottom line is that this Oline is beginning to be rebuilt. The last 3 picks of Williams, MGovern, Biadasz is the new blood. Tyron Smith is fading. Hopefully two of those guys can become legit starters and one of those 3 can be a pro bowl type.

Yes, we do have several young prospects along the OL. We need to have some patience as they all need some development. Tyron maybe fading somewhat, but he is still one of the better LT's in the league. His issues are all about durability moving forward.

LowTech

the most important member
Reaction score
They will need to regain the respect they had. Lets see how the new guys do.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree with the people saying "depends on the meaning of elite".

It will be an above average group if everyone stays healthy but it isn't going to dominate people the way this group did in the past.

The talent level is there if they stay healthy but the biggest factors (by far) are staying healthy and how they execute as a group. Execution largely depends on the group being healthy enough to get another reps together to develop continuity, something people always forget.

Dallas had high second round grades on Williams and McGovern, if both those guys continue to develop and everyone stays healthy it absolutely could be a very good OL. Maybe not "elite", but very good.

I agree, the days of being truly elite could be over, but that doesn't mean they won't be good either. Something to watch this upcoming season is the new offensive scheme in the wco and how it could help the OL in more of a positive way.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
PFF had the Cowboy'sOL ranked #4 OL in the NFL. (post season)

They use several metrics. Hard data. Of course they ranked Philthy as #1.

By the eye test I'd rank us a very good last year and that potential is there again this year. Fred Beard admitted as part of his criteria that he didn't play up to his standards in 2019. We should be able to get close to that this year. I say that with this note: In 2018 when we won the division and Fred Beard was out we were ranked #14 by PFF. We don't have to be the #1 OL in football. We just have to be pretty good. (We've been #1 ranked several times and what has it gotten us?)

Sorry, your assessment that Fredericks play can be replaced like its no problem is just naïve. A 70% Frederick was still head and shoulders better than Looney.

And your notion that winning the division is some kind of great accomplishment that we should be happy with is low standard.

If you want to win championships, then Looney isn't going to cut it and we need a guy as good as Frederick in his prime. 3 studs on the line and the other two guys have to be at least quality.

Sorry, Looney isn't quality. And Looney next to Williams isn't going to win you any championships.

Biadasz and or McGovern at the very least has to be come a pro bowl type level player. Collins, Smith, and Martin are only getting older.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes, we do have several young prospects along the OL. We need to have some patience as they all need some development. Tyron maybe fading somewhat, but he is still one of the better LT's in the league. His issues are all about durability moving forward.

Looney next to Williams aren't going to cut it going forward.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'll admit I don't know OL play from a hole in the wall but I think you're listening to a loud few who don't like Williams. I haven't seen anyone call him a bust. In fact, that's been my issue in that people were rushing to excuses for him but had already decided Trysten Hill was a bust before even seeing the field. Meanwhile, WIlliams is getting pushed all over the field his rookie season and didn't get his job back when Sua Filo filled in admirably for him. He did do better last season, yes, but if you're talking about "competition" for him in his 3rd year after being drafted in the 2nd Round, that's not a good return on value, IMO. I don't have to know OL play to assess that. That's just logic. While we rue not taking TJ Watt over Taco, we we also could have had DE Sam Hubbard instead of Williams. If he did what he did here versus in Cincy, our RDE issue would be solved and we'd be talking about a dominant front four that probably would have made the playoffs last year and had a chance at a serious run this season.

Excellent point, about a 2nd rounder shouldn't need to win competition by year 3. What I will say is, Collins also struggled early in his Cowboy career and he never needed to rework his body. I think we are all spoiled with those 1st rd offensive. plug and play impact starters we drafted in the past.