Is Petitti on the block???

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Colombo has started 7 games in his career, all of course in Chicago. I don't recall him playing for the Cowboys last year, but his stats imply he played in five games, adding to the 18 games he played in as a Bear.

Petitti has started and played in all 16 games of his career. He is more experienced than Colombo, who also apparently is somewhat injury prone. Petitti played through his injury last year, which was a high ankle sprain iirc,

I'm thinking Fabini may be the trade bait, but first, just what are the Cowboys looking for in return for the trade?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
It is a possibility, but I kind of doubt it.

I do think Petitti is way overvalued here. It is almost as if people forget last year. Not saying he couldn't turn it around (I had all but buried Bradie James and look how that turned out for me).

Fabini has played LT for the last several years. I think he needs reps at RT, LT should be second nature by now.

wileedog

Reaction score
FLcowboy said:
Colombo has started 7 games in his career, all of course in Chicago. I don't recall him playing for the Cowboys last year, but his stats imply he played in five games, adding to the 18 games he played in as a Bear.

Petitti has started and played in all 16 games of his career. He is more experienced than Colombo, who also apparently is somewhat injury prone. Petitti played through his injury last year, which was a high ankle sprain iirc,
Columbo was also far, far more highly regarded coming out of college.

Obviously doesn't mean anything now, but he has looked to be the better player in camp this year too.

I'm thinking Fabini may be the trade bait, but first, just what are the Cowboys looking for in return for the trade?
Problem is Fabini doesn't have nearly as much trade value. He's older, coming off injury, and has a more expensive contract including IIRC a $2M signing bonus. Pettitti would probably fetch a lot better return.

Only way I see this happen is if A) Parcells decides we can only carry 4 tackles, and B) we get a decent return. I would want at minimum a 4th, or a young solid NT backup.

Woods

Reaction score
Maybe Al Johnson is on the trading block? He would have some value, and he could probably start for a handful of teams.

But who would be our back-up center if Johnson were traded? Proctor?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I have to agree with Grizz. I'm not saying I want or even that the Cowboys want to trade Petiti. However he's obviously not starting this year. He is young and has a year of experience. He is tough and can play both tackle positons. It's not a stretch in the slightest to think that teams are inquiring about him. Any team with an opening at RT and lack of depth at LT would be willing to give up a first day pick for him, I'd bet.

Woods

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Which is why he's probably not on the block.

Yhea, after I typed that, I was going to edit it :bang2:

It's probably one of the OTs if it happens at all.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Problem is Fabini doesn't have nearly as much trade value. He's older, coming off injury, and has a more expensive contract including IIRC a $2M signing bonus.
The signing bonus is already paid and would be on the Cowboys cap. The base pay and incentives would be the only salary transferred.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Let's use process of elimination:

~ OG...we only have three there worth anything (Rivera, Kosier, Procter), so no way we trade here.
~ C...we only have Gurode and Al, we don't have anyone ouside these two that have taken snaps at center, so no way we trade here
~ OT...We have five and would like to carry four. Understanding that Kosier could play OT as a must.
Flo...no way
Columbo...risk factor, and he looks to be our starter
McQuistan...to much upside and BP loves him
Leaving Petitti and Fabini who holds zero trade value and a cost to us.

The only Olineman that would be even considered is Pettiti, not that we are, but he is the ONLY option.

If we truely need that back up NT...maybe a trade for a legit backup is an option...outside of this I don't see much.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Portland Fanatic said:
Let's use process of elimination:

~ OG...we only have three there worth anything (Rivera, Kosier, Procter), so no way we trade here.
~ C...we only have Gurode and Al, we don't have anyone ouside these two that have taken snaps at center, so no way we trade here
~ OT...We have five and would like to carry four. Understanding that Kosier could play OT as a must.
Flo...no way
Columbo...risk factor, and he looks to be our starter
McQuistan...to much upside and BP loves him
Leaving Petitti and Fabini who holds zero trade value and a cost to us.

The only Olineman that would be even considered is Pettiti, not that we are, but he is the ONLY option.

If we truely need that back up NT...maybe a trade for a legit backup is an option...outside of this I don't see much.

I doubt we'd make a player for player trade. It would have to be Petitti, if it's anybody, and it would have to be if we only want to carry four tackles and someone offers enough in terms of a draft pick to justify keeping Fabini over Rob. It would be nice if it happened, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
If BP wanted to consider Fabini as the "swing" guy he would've given him some reps at LT. He hasn't and doesn't appear to be planning to. And he hasn't given McQuistan any snaps at RT. So Petitti would seem to be his guy for the swing tackle.

He already knows what Fabini can do. There is no reason to give him repetitions at LT/RT if the intention is to see if he still has "it" in order to start. Fabini can and has played left tackle enough to be the swing already. Coach Parcells already has EIGHT years of film on him. :cool:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx said:
I would think a "soft spot" would be the offensive line, yet we would trade one away?

It also might just be that they feel much differently about the offensive line than fans do.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Tony Sparano has already indicated how pleased he is and Coach Parcells also stated today he feels much better about the unit this year than last. Alot of that has to do with more depth, but also the progress of players like Gurode and Colombo. If Gurode starts and we have Al Johnson as a reserve, if Colombo starts and a veteran like Fabini is in reserve, we are already better than in years past.

We wouldn't trade one away just to do so. It would be contingent if we could shore up an even "softer" spot without damaging our depth substancially.

dallasfan

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
Pettiti isnt going anywhere.. he is the swing tackle, that's an important position to have..

Yeah, Fabini will be cut. Flozell will be the LT, Columbo will be the RT, and Pettiti will be the swing tackle (Parcells said he knows what he has in Pettiti, and that's why he's been playing LT all preseason, after playing RT all last year).

stardeep

Fading Into Abstraction
Reaction score
Since they're discussing it so much, they're obviously considering trading one of their O-linemen, but I think Bill will fall on the side of caution and decide to keep them all.

Keeping everyone gives us a lot of options and contingencies, which is important in making a SB run. It allows Fabini to give us the hardened vet, while tutoring both Pettiti and McQ.

However, if Parcell's does decide to deal someone, my guess would be Fabini. While he has little value, the league-wide dirth of OL depth, and resultant desperation of some teams, makes him worth a 7th, and possibly even a 6th.

Sure, such a trade would leave us less depth, but he might come around to the thinking that should either tackle go down, we have a starter from last year (who is one year improved) ready to move in. Or, in an even worse scenario, Kosier could move to tackle for a handful of games while Gurode or Proctor slide into his spot.

Having said that, I tend to think we keep the works.

Edit: This thread can't help but remind me of the words Bill whispered to Pettiti during camp last year: 'I will die before I let you fail.' I think he keeps the kid. Bill can never have too many projects - look no further than all the assistant coaches around him.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Not a bad read.....but, I believe BP likes the Jersey kid....too many roots for BP to give up on

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Coach Parcells already has EIGHT years of film on him. :cool:

But how could he just put him out there if he never practiced the position? Are you crazy?:D

Hiero

Reaction score
I hope not, hes a young guy with some experience and would be a nice backup, were not fortunate enough to have enough depth at tackle imo to trade him.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Gonna get a big fat NO from me on trading Rob. Fabini maybe, but with Flo a ? i say keep 5 to begin with. If Flo comes back strong in a week or two, then maybe one OT becomes expendable.