Is resigning Roy Williams a must?

Verdict

Reaction score
Being an Oklahoma Sooner alum, I have been a huge Roy Williams since his Sooner days. I think he is a stud SS, but of course i am admittedly biased.

I am thinking that resigning him should be a priority but I wonder how much cap he will consume, and will the Cowboys think he will be worth it? I am guessing he will be paid really well, but obviously not quarerback money. What do you think it will take to resign him?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yes. He'll get the best Safety contract in the league. Honestly, I think he's got some holes and isn't as great as I would have wanted. But he is certainly a very good player who we need to keep.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
WE can only prorate his SB over 5 years so that will up the cap hits a bit over what we could do next year for a 6 year deal. Trouble is if we let him go until next year we will likely have other teams making runs at him. I was thinking it will be something like a 5 year $30 mil deal with a $10 mil SB. But with guys like Peterson getting $56 mil it really throws a twist into the contract numbers. I don't look for anything to happen until the season is going and they see exactly what they have left after signing rookies, injury settlements and paying any other FA's that we might get.

I think we need to get Williams and Witten done this year and T. Newman next year. Those are my priorties; Bradie James we can do as an afterthought if we have the bucks left over. If we lose him he can be replaced pretty easily IMO.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Put a real free safety beside of him and the guy would be an elite, instinctive, difference making force- otherwise he is just another guy that hits harder than any other safety in the league but is forced to play out of his element.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Williams - coming back no matter what - he is young and definately a top 3 S in the league.

Witten - he is our Franchise TE - he will be back no doubt

James - Solid MLB, future leader of this team - yes he is coming back.

Newman - he has 3 years on his contract, stop talking about him.

we have enough $ for all of them no doubt, you really think that resigning 4 players is gonna cost us more than 14 million + next years cap increase? all of these guys will not cost us that much of our cap to bring back even after we sign our rookies. and obviously these 4 our solid players and play big roles in our orginization. Yes, i am saying James is a big role as he is a leader and stepped in and did a great job when Dat went down.

Hoods

Reaction score
This question shouldn't even be asked. Mods close this thread, please.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
Verdict said:
Being an Oklahoma Sooner alum, I have been a huge Roy Williams since his Sooner days. I think he is a stud SS, but of course i am admittedly biased.

I am thinking that resigning him should be a priority but I wonder how much cap he will consume, and will the Cowboys think he will be worth it? I am guessing he will be paid really well, but obviously not quarerback money. What do you think it will take to resign him?

If he continues to get smoked regularly for touchdowns that make us lose leads late then let his !@%$&? walk!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
We have so much cap room available in future seasons that there's no reason not to extend his contract before it expires.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
skins sign roy 10 years 11 million.....

What was that.....awwww man....we over paid again didn't we:D

;)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
skins sign roy

And we'd get your first-round picks the next two years, since you signed our franchise player to fill the gap left by Sean Taylor's incarceration. My guess is they'd be the No. 1 overall pick each year, too. That's not such a bad trade for us.

Manster68

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
And we'd get your first-round picks the next two years, since you signed our franchise player to fill the gap left by Sean Taylor's incarceration. My guess is they'd be the No. 1 overall pick each year, too. That's not such a bad trade for us.

Good response Adam!

Remember the weeks leading up prior to the 2002 draft?

Dallas was TRULY desperate for a corner. However, they selected Williams because he was "Special."

The man has made huge plays for the Cowboys each year. He is entering his prime. KEEP HIM!!!

neosapien23

Reaction score
BeWare94 said:
If he continues to get smoked regularly for touchdowns that make us lose leads late then let his !@%$&? walk!

I kinda feel that way too. Roy Williams is a great hitter, but his coverage skills leave alot to be desired. If there was no salary cap, I would think Dallas wouldn't let any of their FAs test the market. I think Newman, Witten, and even James are more important to this team. If Dallas must they should resign these guys first and then franchise Williams. They should get a first round pick for him, but they shouldn't let him walk for free. Maybe trade Roy while he is wearing the frachise tag for a Michael Huff type and move Davis to SS where he belongs.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

No we traded brandon noble back for those two picks.......:D

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Yes. He'll get the best Safety contract in the league. Honestly, I think he's got some holes and isn't as great as I would have wanted. But he is certainly a very good player who we need to keep.

bigger than adam archuleta's? are you drunk

:laugh2:

honestly i think he needs to be here simply because of what he means to this team, hes a face of the cowboys which is something we hadnt really had (other than a declining emmit) in the few years before he was here

Manster68

Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
No we traded brandon noble back for those two picks.......:D

Oh, sure, let's all drink the kool-aid to this one!:laugh2: