Is resigning Roy Williams a must?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm in agreement that Roy should be extended. However, I don't think Archuleta's contract should set the market rate for Roy's new contract. Simply cuz of the way Skins do business.

I'm of the mindset, if you want to look at a more comparable contract, I'd look at Donovan Darius contract numbers. Tho I can't seem to locate those particular numbers at this time. :eek::

superpunk

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
I'm in agreement that Roy should be extended. However, I don't think Archuleta's contract should set the market rate for Roy's new contract. Simply cuz of the way Skins do business.

I'm of the mindset, if you want to look at a more comparable contract, I'd look at Donovan Darius contract numbers. Tho I can't seem to locate those particular numbers at this time. :eek::

Archuletta's is a 3 year contract glitzed up to look huge. It's not indicative of how a top safety would be payed, which Roy is - Archuletta - not.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
Archuletta's is a 3 year contract glitzed up to look huge. It's not indicative of how a top safety would be payed, which Roy is - Archuletta - not.
That was my point... That's why I think they should use Darius' contract numbers.

Can't seem to find the info re: his SB (still searching), but Darius' base salaries (according to nflpa.org) for the next few years are:

So I'd look for Roy to command equal if not more than those annual numbers

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
superpunk said:
That's ridiculous. Champ not a big loss? Smoot was real good in Washington, regardless of what has happened in Minnesota, where everything goes wrong. Stephen Davis would have been big for a couple years after he was gone. Arrington was your only defensive playmaker, outside of Sean Taylor.

Bottom line, the Skins draft players, and let them go, as they get infatuated with outside names. Apparently, the grass really is greener...

Terrell Davis was really good in Denver, along with Mike Anderson, Rueben Droughns, etc. Doesnt sem like they were huge losses in Denver.

Champ was traded for one of the best RBs in the NFL. He wasnt simply lost. He was traded. Champ is a solid CB, but he is not the best, nor does he deserve to be paid as the best.
Stephen Davis cant catch a cold, yet alone a ball, and cant stay healthy. He didnt fit the scheme at the time.
Arrington was the only playmaker ? Thats just silly talk.
Smoot played well. Opposite a true #1 corner (which Winfield is not). Nor was Smoot worth more money than Springs. Thats like paying Larry Allen Hutchinson kind of money.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
He may be the best open field tackler in the league.

Yeah... except when he goes for the hit and gets juked! Not often... but I have seen more times than I wanted too...

superpunk

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Terrell Davis was really good in Denver, along with Mike Anderson, Rueben Droughns, etc. Doesnt sem like they were huge losses in Denver.

Neither was Clinton Portis. And yet, in exchange for him, they got Bailey, AND a second round draft choice.

Champ was traded for one of the best RBs in the NFL. He wasnt simply lost. He was traded. Champ is a solid CB, but he is not the best, nor does he deserve to be paid as the best.

He's top three. You traded him for a top 10, maybe top 5 RB AND a 2nd round draft pick. Denver owns Washington.

Stephen Davis cant catch a cold, yet alone a ball, and cant stay healthy. He didnt fit the scheme at the time.

Just cuz he didn't fit the scheme makes it insignificant? Didn't he make the pro-bowl that year? Sheesh....

Arrington was the only playmaker ? Thats just silly talk.

No, it's not. Aside from Taylor, he's your only dynamic playmaker.

Smoot played well. Opposite a true #1 corner (which Winfield is not). Nor was Smoot worth more money than Springs. Thats like paying Larry Allen Hutchinson kind of money.

The Commanders have no problem overpaying other teams free agents - but when the time comes for their own, they let them go. THAT was the point, which you obviousy missed.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
We're not the Commanders. We've got an incredible group of young talent. When their time comes to get paid - they'll get theirs. We won't let them get away.

:hammer:

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
skins sign roy 10 years 11 million.....

What was that.....awwww man....we over paid again didn't we:D

Oh My God...I wouldn't even want to be on the same planet as these guys if that ever happened!:D

Barring anything unforseen happening...Jones will never let Williams go anywhere.

lspain1

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

So WG, if you are Roy Williams would you NOT consider Archuleta's contract when it comes time to negotiate? I want to keep Williams a Cowboy, but folks here should make no mistake, when the time comes it's gonna be expensive.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lspain1 said:
So WG, if you are Roy Williams would you NOT consider Archuleta's contract when it comes time to negotiate? I want to keep Williams a Cowboy, but folks here should make no mistake, when the time comes it's gonna be expensive.
Of course if I'm Roy...and I have a good agent, I'm looking at Archuleta's contract. But if I'm the Cowboys, I'm looking at Donovan Darius' contract. And hopefully, they find something somewhere in between that makes sense.

Eddie

Reaction score
I'd hate to lose Roy, but re-signing him is NOT imperative.

We won a Super Bowl with James Washington at SS.

I wouldn't break the bank for a Safety. Roy needs to understand his role.