Is resigning Roy Williams a must?

btcutter

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
I would make Newman and Witten a priority over RW.

With the cap space with still have, they all are must resigns. You can't let the players you develop get away in FA unless you are in cap hell. These are the "HITS" we had in the draft, they can't get away.

Daudr

Reaction score
Re-signing Roy Williams is more than just about retaining a great safety. It's also about retaining a leader in your locker room and a HUGE ticket-seller for fans. There is no way in hell they don't re-sign him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I think we need to get Williams and Witten done this year and T. Newman next year. Those are my priorties; Bradie James we can do as an afterthought if we have the bucks left over. If we lose him he can be replaced pretty easily IMO.

:hammer:

that's how I'd go about it

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Maybe trade Roy while he is wearing the frachise tag for a Michael Huff type and move Davis to SS where he belongs.

that is the worst suggestion I've heard in awhile, we'd essentially be creating 2 holes, who knows how Huff is going to pan out in the NFL, and who's going to play SS better than Roy for us?

KobeEgan

Reaction score
Roy should stay a Cowboy forever. He is like my absolute favorite player in the league...followed by other Cowboys players and Bob Sanders ;) He is the hardest hitting Safety in the league and a great open field tackler. The only problem is...him and his agent will want more money than what Archuleta is getting :( o well..it is worth it IMO

jrumann59

Reaction score
Too many expect him to be Ronnie Lott you forgot Lott was a corner before he was safety so he had coverage skills. RW is a SS plain and simple he will get better with experience when it comes to coverage, he was drafted for 2 reasons 1) he was to be an intimidator in the secondary for those crossing routes and 2)What he does when he walks up to the box. Remember DW wasn't that good at coverage either when he came out he was a LB in college he had to acquire pass coverage skills. IF RW picks up half of what DW did he will be an excellent safety.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
Manster68 said:
Oh, sure, let's all drink the kool-aid to this one!:laugh2:

I actually want some kool-aid right now.....

I guess Fruitpunch & Vodka will do.....:laugh2:

calico

Reaction score
Verdict said:
Being an Oklahoma Sooner alum, I have been a huge Roy Williams since his Sooner days. I think he is a stud SS, but of course i am admittedly biased.

I am thinking that resigning him should be a priority but I wonder how much cap he will consume, and will the Cowboys think he will be worth it? I am guessing he will be paid really well, but obviously not quarerback money. What do you think it will take to resign him?

I am a Texas fan who feels that Roy needs to be resigned and that he should end his career in Dallas.

Verdict

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
And we'd get your first-round picks the next two years, since you signed our franchise player to fill the gap left by Sean Taylor's incarceration. My guess is they'd be the No. 1 overall pick each year, too. That's not such a bad trade for us.

That is some pretty good stuff. LOL

Hiero

Reaction score
he is a star player and we need to resign him long term. same goes for Witten.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
I could Be wrong (I've been wrong before), but isn't the answer to this thread's question a little on the obvious side:confused:

That said, I think the better question would be ...How much do you think Cowboy's GM will pay to retain Roy?

Again, I may have missed it somewhere in this thread (and remember, I'm an Eagles Fan, not a Cowboys fan); and I'm sure there's some "die-hards" out there that know ...when does Roy's current contract expire (month/year)?

Here's some other opponent fan questions regarding Roy ...

Does Roy want to stay in Dallas?

Does Roy get along with TO (and vice-versa)?

Is Roy healthy?

Just curious

Known Fact ...

Roy is a threat to any opponent team; he still is a quality player. We'd take him off your hands if the opportunity became available.:rolleyes:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
RW can be franchised is needed because safeties dont make QB money. He isn't going anywhere at all.
Jerry isn't gonna lose a jersey seller like RW who makes big plays.

kapolani

Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
skins sign roy 10 years 11 million.....

What was that.....awwww man....we over paid again didn't we:D

;)

Dude....

You know what they say about people who put their computer stats in their sigs, right?

You must be very lonely at night....

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Simply put Jerry is not going to let his star defender get away, no way, no how.

superpunk

Reaction score
We're not the Commanders. We've got an incredible group of young talent. When their time comes to get paid - they'll get theirs. We won't let them get away.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
superpunk said:
We're not the Commanders. We've got an incredible group of young talent. When their time comes to get paid - they'll get theirs. We won't let them get away.

Commanders comparison is a bad one.

Only one player comes to mind that was a bad loss for the Commanders. Antonio Pierce. And even with that said, Marshall filled the spot quite nicely.

Not Love Boat Fred Smoot
Not toasty Champ Bailey
Not injury prone Stephen Davis
Not Patrick Ramsey
Not cant get right LaVar Arrington

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Verdict said:
Being an Oklahoma Sooner alum, I have been a huge Roy Williams since his Sooner days. I think he is a stud SS, but of course i am admittedly biased.

I am thinking that resigning him should be a priority but I wonder how much cap he will consume, and will the Cowboys think he will be worth it? I am guessing he will be paid really well, but obviously not quarerback money. What do you think it will take to resign him?
not a must in the 3-4. putting that $$$ into FS would be more appropriate imho given the nature of today's NFL. you pay guys well who change outcomes of games and while i'd like roy to be here a while i'm not throwing him mad $$$

superpunk

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Commanders comparison is a bad one.

Only one player comes to mind that was a bad loss for the Commanders. Antonio Pierce. And even with that said, Marshall filled the spot quite nicely.

Not Love Boat Fred Smoot
Not toasty Champ Bailey
Not injury prone Stephen Davis
Not Patrick Ramsey
Not cant get right LaVar Arrington

That's ridiculous. Champ not a big loss? Smoot was real good in Washington, regardless of what has happened in Minnesota, where everything goes wrong. Stephen Davis would have been big for a couple years after he was gone. Arrington was your only defensive playmaker, outside of Sean Taylor.

Bottom line, the Skins draft players, and let them go, as they get infatuated with outside names. Apparently, the grass really is greener...