Is Romo sucking you in again?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Damn right he was the weakest link. Sorry SOB allowed the skins to rush for 274 yards---200 by Alfred Morse alone!

Damn that Romo!

I like UFC, and I'm well aware of how he feels about his team's QB, but that was not one of his finer posts.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I have one objection here.

SF did not just "crash and burn" and then rise from the ashes.

It took years.

Years of high end picks, years of ugly failure before they rose.

It coincided with Harbaugh joining them, sure, but they didn't just crash for a year or two and now LOOKIE LOOKIE! They're the bestest!

Ten likes and a gold star for this one. :)

T-RO

Reaction score
Bill parcells had a press conference in Dallas. Where he told the press that they were getting sucked in.

That says much more about Parcells than anything. Bill always had issues with his quarterbacks. He didn't want them to get bigger than he was and would look for ways to deflate their tires. I enjoyed Bill but that guy had to be the hammer with everyone around him playing the role of nail.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling we've had this discussion before? At this point, there's really nothing left to say, is there? Some people get it about Romo; others are sucked in by the ESPN hype machine and blame him for everything that ever goes wrong with the Cowboys. One of Romo's best qualities? He accepts that.

I suggest reading this week's Sports Illustrated, great Romo story in there. Though I doubt it'll change the haters' minds; they might learn to appreciate him a wee bit more.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jerry is smart, he trades down to acquire more picks and gets a QB in the late 1st or 2nd round. Let's that QB develop for at least 1 year and hopefully we can create a seamless transition from Romo to the new QB.

Of course, that will take foresight on Jerry's part. Not so sure he has that in him.

YR

They can't cut Romo until after the 2016 at the earliest due to a massive dead-money hit on the salary cap.

If they draft a 1st/2nd round QB this year, then either that player or Romo are on the bench from 2014 through 2016. The 2017 season would be the last year on the draft picks contract.

They need to draft linemen in 2014 and worry about a replacement QB in future drafts. If they're going to spend years developing a QB, then they might as well just get one as a free agent or late round pick.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I love how few posters hang onto one game (against skins) to bash Romo but fail to point out other games where he played lights out. Cherry picking one game out of 100+ games he played, how stupid is that?

No, I'm not getting sucked him, I've always felt that he was the strong point of the offense, this year is no different, the only difference that I see is he has been protecting the ball, he only has eight turnovers (7 INTs and 1 fumble lost) second in the NFL in that department.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Nope. It's December. I'll believe it when I see it. He's a good QB. That doesn't make me forget all that's gone on before though.

Lodeus

Reaction score
Saw this on twitter

BalvimOCAAAlxVN.jpg:large

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I'll admit it.

I liked the blue unis at home more than I thought I would

And

That's my quarterback...

http://i420.***BLOCKED***/albums/pp283/manuelg1702/B49E0FD4-8B53-4710-91C4-C7686A867B62.jpg

Maxmadden

Reaction score
I didn't read all the post in this thread because it's pointless. At some point in this season Tony Romo is going to fail. Just like all the QB's who don't win the Superbowl. This team(while enjoyable) is not good enough. They will eventually put Romo in a situation he can't overcome. It happens to every team that doesn't win the Superbowl. For whatever reason it has become the trend to blame Romo because he can't bail them out again. For every team that doesn't win the Superbowl, it comes down to the QB failing at some point late in the game because he can't bring them back.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
This year seems all too familiar.

pass offense 6th
run offense 27th
pass defense 22nd

pass offense 9th
run offense 31st
pass defense 29th

pass offense 4th
run offense 18th
pass defense 25th

The "pass" ranks are pass rating, the run ranks are rushing yards.

One major difference is the turnover differential. Tied for 2nd with Seattle behind only KC with a +12 turnover differential. 25 takeaways, 13 giveaways. The D keeps forcing TOs and the offense is protecting the ball with the 2nd fewest giveaways in the league behind only KC. If it is luck, I hope it does not run out by the end of the season. Taking the ball away and protecting it allows you to compete with the best and can make a significant impact in the playoffs. As much criticism as this D is facing, Kiffen likely will double our turnover number from last year.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
So the real question here is thus: When is the pass defense going to suck us all in?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
One major difference is the turnover differential.
It's a difference, but it hasn't been a major one, as far as W-L is concerned.

Last year, our defense was 15th in punts forced per drive, this year it's 31st.

Last year, our offense was 9th in fewest punts per drive, this year it's 27th.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I'll admit it.

I liked the blue unis at home more than I thought I would

And

That's my quarterback...

http://i420.***BLOCKED***/albums/pp283/manuelg1702/B49E0FD4-8B53-4710-91C4-C7686A867B62.jpg

Everytime I see this I chuckle. :)

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since Romo became the starter, the Cowboys are 24-5 in November and 38-38 in all other games. Why? I don't know, but it's a team issue, not a Romo issue.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Let's not pretend Romo has been perfect, there have been stretches where he's looked downright terrible and field vision will never be a strong suit of his. On the plus side, he's protected the ball and has only turned the ball over multiple times in one game this year.

The team, as always, goes as Romo goes. When he's good, we're good. When he's bad, we're downright awful.

That being said, the bitter taste of the Washington game last year hasn't quite left my mouth. I want to see how the rest of these division games go.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Let's not pretend Romo has been perfect, there have been stretches where he's looked downright terrible and field vision will never be a strong suit of his. On the plus side, he's protected the ball and has only turned the ball over multiple times in one game this year.

The team, as always, goes as Romo goes. When he's good, we're good. When he's bad, we're downright awful.

That being said, the bitter taste of the Washington game last year hasn't quite left my mouth. I want to see how the rest of these division games go.

If that's true then how do you explain the games where he plays lights out and we still lose? Face it, we're a bad team with a great QB. There's no way in hell a team should lose when your QB throws for 500 yards and 5 tds, or 400 yards and 4 tds. If this team had an average defense, then we're a playoff team the past 2-3 years.