Is Sean Lee ROH worthy?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Only if the cowboys have fallen to the point where really good players, on bad teams, are ring of honor worthy.

I hope the franchise hasn’t fallen that far.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Longevity has nothing to do with it. Otherwise Bill Bates, Ed Too Tall, and Mark Tuinei would be in the ROH. Witten will be in because he had a great career, but even he had a small window of being elite like you said about Dez.

Dez was an unstoppable force in this league during his prime and got the ball into the end zone 73 times, which is almost as many times as James Lofton and Antonio Brown...

You can dislike Dez personally like a whole bunch of other clowns on this site, but to deny what he's done on the field is asinine.

Of course longevity matters. Dez achieved very little with us despite being in a heavy passing league. 2012-2014 he was a great player. The rest were injury riddled, him needing to be babysitters and him being let go and having negative things being said about the organization.

Longevity matters, accomplishments matter - Dez has neither of those things. Someone so important to this organization to get in the ROH is BEGGING to return and we haven’t brought him back, yet the corpse of Witten got another year

He is not ROH material. You have no idea what you’re talking about, and I have not said anything about my personal opinion on Dez.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I thought the ROH was to only include HOF level players? I believe Jerry quoted something like that a few years ago. Not understanding the posters on here mentioning Dez as a possibility. If Harvey Martin, Too Tall and Charlie Waters aren’t in can’t see them putting in a WR with no chance to get into the HOF someday. Ware and Witten are the only possibilities to get into ROH from the Parcells/Garrett eras IMO. Romo is another possibility due to his relationship with Jerry, but Danny White isn’t in there so I can’t see them throwing in Romo. If that’s the case Garrett may be next to.

Jerry has already made it clear Romo is going into the ROH.

...and Danny White should be in as well.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Dez was an excellent player. I see him being in the not quite category like Tony Hill, though... another excellent player who has not gained admittance. Dez’s case is not quite as strong as Romo or Witten’s... both of those guys are at #1 in basically every category for their position in Cowboys history. Dez, despite playing in the same pass happy era, is not. Being #1 in TD receptions is certainly not insignificant, though.
Looking closely at the numbers I would say that Tony Hill had a slightly more valuable career than Dez as a Cowboy in part due to longevity. PFF’s approximate value score seems to agree. Maybe we should be banging the drum for Tony...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
ClappingCarrot spoke on it. You are putting guys in for longevity..........the guys in there either have a Super Bowl ring or a string of ALL Pro 1st team bids.....Witten gets in because he's regarded as a top tight end of his time no doubt. Dez and Romo should be hand in hand. Both go in or none at all. Wouldn't shock me to see both go in. They'd be the least qualified though.

And clapping Carrot has no idea what he is on about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys_Ring_of_Honor

Look at this list. Almost all of these have longevity with the Cowboys OR were vital for championship wins (Haley)

There are three WRs in the ROH: Hayes, Pearson, Irvin. Bryant isn’t CLOSE to them. Hayes was the OG red zone threat in a heavy running league, Bryant did his thing in a heavy passing league

Bryant doesn’t have the accomplishments or the longevity to justify putting him in. And I like Dez.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And clapping Carrot has no idea what he is on about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys_Ring_of_Honor

Look at this list. Almost all of these have longevity with the Cowboys OR were vital for championship wins (Haley)

There are three WRs in the ROH: Hayes, Pearson, Irvin. Bryant isn’t CLOSE to them. Hayes was the OG red zone threat in a heavy running league, Bryant did his thing in a heavy passing league

Bryant doesn’t have the accomplishments or the longevity to justify putting him in. And I like Dez.
I'm not saying he should.

Like I said....most of those guys are Super Bowl Champions or All Pro 1st teamers.......so based on that list Witten and Ware are probably the only ones who get in.

To me Romo and Dez are in the same boat. The same argument you are using against Dez you can use against Romo. Except Dez at his best was considered one of the best receivers in the league.

ANd the fact he doesn't have longevity yet leads our franchise in TD receptions would seem to work in his favor.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Remember when people started talking trash about DeMarcus Ware here, and as soon has he gets away from the Garrett stink he went to two more Pro Bowls and was a key player in a Super Bowl victory?

"Ware doesn't get clutch sacks" was literally a thing people said here. Then as soon as he's escaped the ginger coaching virus he puts up a stat line in the Super Bowl on par with the Super Bowl MVP, who was like 7 years younger than him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Like I said....most of those guys are Super Bowl Champions or All Pro 1st teamers.......so based on that list Witten and Ware are probably the only ones who get in.

To me Romo and Dez are in the same boat. The same argument you are using against Dez you can use against Romo. Except Dez at his best was considered one of the best receivers in the league.

ANd the fact he doesn't have longevity yet leads our franchise in TD receptions would seem to work in his favor.

There would need to be more accomplishments on his resume than TD receptions to overlook that he was a relative flash in the pan in terms of being a great player. It's also hard for me to make a case for a guy who doesn't have the accomplishments or longevity, also having character issues and having a falling out when he was released. If we make a case for Dez Bryant who had a 3 years stretch of great play, why not Terrell Ownes? 3 years with us, 3 1,000 yard seasons, 3 seasons with 10 or more TDs.

As I said, it's moot, Jones wants Romo in the HOF - and I think this needs to open up the discussion about White getting in. Both Romo and White deserve to be in.

J817

Reaction score
Jerry has already made it clear Romo is going into the ROH.

...and Danny White should be in as well.

I am aware he quoted something like that about a year ago but Jerry is Jerry and sometimes he talks just to hear himself talk. I mean, we will see, but after time goes by let’s see if he actually goes through with it. Opinions change overtime.

J817

Reaction score

Dez is going no where near the ROH. Fun fact, before Dez broke that receiving record Bob Hayes was the holder. Hayes had to be a finalist to get into the HOF before he was placed in the ROH. So until Dez is a HOF finalist (which isn’t happening), Dez won’t even be afterthought.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I am aware he quoted something like that about a year ago but Jerry is Jerry and sometimes he talks just to hear himself talk. I mean, we will see, but after time goes by let’s see if he actually goes through with it. Opinions change overtime.
I don't know if you are joking or not... are you a new Cowboys fan and don't know about the relationship between Jones and Romo? Jones would put Romo in the Ring of Honor if he had Chad Hutchinson's career numbers. I can assure you, he's going in.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dez is going no where near the ROH. Fun fact, before Dez broke that receiving record Bob Hayes was the holder. Hayes had to be a finalist to get into the HOF before he was placed in the ROH. So until Dez is a HOF finalist (which isn’t happening), Dez won’t even be afterthought.
Maybe. Maybe not. Its too early to tell.

Like I said earlier....I think Jerry is going to put some guys in post Jimmy so it doesn't make him look like a complete failure. He's going to put some of his best GM jobs in. Witten and Ware are two of them. I personally don't think Romo and Dez get in. But I think if one does the other one will.

J817

Reaction score
I don't know if you are joking or not... are you a new Cowboys fan and don't know about the relationship between Jones and Romo? Jones would put Romo in the Ring of Honor if he had Chad Hutchinson's career numbers. I can assure you, he's going in.

No not new, very aware of his relationship and all. You may very well be right. We will see I guess.

DAMIT just thought about the relationship between Jerry and Garrett. That will be a strange ROH ceremony. Think the fans will boo?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
No not new, very aware of his relationship and all. You may very well be right. We will see I guess.

DAMIT just thought about about the relationship between Jerry and Garrett. That will be a strange ROH ceremony. Think the fans will boo?
I mean he said it, in public for everyone to hear that he's going to put him in. It wasn't a "yes" answer to a throwaway question. He thought out his response and everything. Do you think he could just backslide on it and then change his mind and everyone will just forget?

"He elevated the franchise. And that's what the Ring of Honor is about, a player that certainly has got to be a great player in my mind, but they've got to do something that takes a step up for the franchise. While there wasn't a Super Bowl there, I think he's one of the best at his position.

Bottom line, the answer is yes, he'll be in the Ring of Honor. Now, the detail will follow."

Where's the ambiguity?

Now Garrett... lol, well. As much as I think Jerry would try to do it if he could think of any possible way, I don't think he'll be able to pull that one off. Not when the standard in the Ring is Tom and (hopefully by then) Jimmy.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I love the guy, but the standards for the ROH are very high. I mean not even Deion is in the ROH. Sean Lee has been out of action too many times to be in the ROH.

WeDemBoyz

Reaction score
Sean, No. Ware, Yes. Dez, Yes. Tony, Undecided. Tyron, Yes. Witten, No since he signed with the Raiders instead of retiring gracefully.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think most of us would love Lee to be ROH worthy, and would agree he had that kind of talent, but unfortunately his health issues derailed his chances.

irishline

Reaction score
I don't know. I'm torn. I don't think he should to continue with the exclusivity of the ROH. Based on who's in there I can't find much of a argument for Romo. I say Witten and Ware because they were considered the best of their time. Probably will make some All Decade teams.

Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly. On Romo and Witten/Ware. Just think Jerry may Jerry on Romo (Romo was good/very good, but there are many others we could make that claim of, from the team's history, that aren't in there)...