Is Sean McVay a great coach? Or was Jeff Fisher just that bad?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The Rams have already surpassed their points total from last year on the way to winning their division. Do you think this is due to the McVay hire? Or just the absence of Jeff “7-9” Fisher?

remdak

Reaction score
The Rams have already surpassed their points total from last year on the way to winning their division. Do you think this is due to the McVay hire? Or just the absence of Jeff “7-9” Fisher?
I'll go with option #2.

John813

Reaction score
Too early to say how good McVay is, but he is an improvement/breath of fresh air over Fisher.
Last year Gase got a lot of love and now he looks over his head.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It's what I told Skins fans...he's a great designer of plays. They tried to tell me that Gruden designed the plays, but they've found out that wasn't the case.

And he was smart enough to hire Wade to be the D-Coordinator. Now you have 2 very strong schematic coaches paired with some smart roster moves they have made.

It also helps that they play in a weak division. The Cards and Niners are pretty lousy. Seattle isn't the same old Seattle on defense and has a turnstile at the O-Line.

YR

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The trade for Sammy Watkins, no doubt, is one of the reasons for their offensive output.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I loved Fisher the player and Fisher the coach in the early stages of his coaching career. More recently, he became a caricature of himself.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The offense is what has changed. Fisher was a defensive guy, as you know.
So the change is the OC
Night and day.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Could it also be it was young roster of up and coming stars and they are starting to gel. I mean most rookie QBs have major growing pains. That being said it is on Fisher to have an OC that knows what to do.

Stryker44

Reaction score

Fisher was a Super Bowl legend. They never should have fired him.

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
It's what I told Skins fans...he's a great designer of plays. They tried to tell me that Gruden designed the plays, but they've found out that wasn't the case.

And he was smart enough to hire Wade to be the D-Coordinator. Now you have 2 very strong schematic coaches paired with some smart roster moves they have made.

It also helps that they play in a weak division. The Cards and Niners are pretty lousy. Seattle isn't the same old Seattle on defense and has a turnstile at the O-Line.

YR

Just because he is designing great plays now, doesn’t mean he was doing that in Washington. His success in LA doesn’t mean we get to rewrite history. He’s a good coach, doesn’t mean we get to make up stuff about him.

Jay is designing plays and getting players open just fine this season. He just doesn’t have the players to catch the ball like he used to. Once again, these facts don’t mean we get the rewrite the last 2 years.

What I will say for McVay is he better at in-game adjustments than Jay. That isn’t “designing plays”, that’s taking plays already in the playbook and exploiting weaknesses and countering adjustments the opposing defense has already implemented. He reacts quicker than Jay does, and although I haven’t watched too many of their games this season I can tell he’s much better at clock management than Gruden too.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can only imagine what McVay would accomplish with the talent we have on offense. We would literally not need any defense. ;)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Just because he is designing great plays now, doesn’t mean he was doing that in Washington. His success in LA doesn’t mean we get to rewrite history. He’s a good coach, doesn’t mean we get to make up stuff about him.

Jay is designing plays and getting players open just fine this season. He just doesn’t have the players to catch the ball like he used to. Once again, these facts don’t mean we get the rewrite the last 2 years.

What I will say for McVay is he better at in-game adjustments than Jay. That isn’t “designing plays”, that’s taking plays already in the playbook and exploiting weaknesses and countering adjustments the opposing defense has already implemented. He reacts quicker than Jay does, and although I haven’t watched too many of their games this season I can tell he’s much better at clock management than Gruden too.

Not re-writing history. It's been well known that McVay is a master designer of plays, except from people like yourself. And it's hilarious to see you still not give McVay credit for play design when people are...raving about his play designs.

I mean...somehow he's made a massive turnaround on the Rams offense which has players that have never done much of anything prior to this year while Gruden still has Cousins, Reed, Crowder, Davis, Pryor, etc.

Go figure.

YR

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Fisher was bad but the offensive staff he assembled was simply not qualified.

That is one of the issues that coaches have to get over when they go from coordinating one side of the ball to hiring their own coordinators. They better get a good one for the side of the football they are the least equipped to handle.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Too early to say how good McVay is, but he is an improvement/breath of fresh air over Fisher.
Last year Gase got a lot of love and now he looks over his head.
McVay could go the same route. It is one thing for a new broom to jump start their side of the football but another for them to sustain it the following year, which Gase is finding out.

McVay's best move was getting Phillips. Regardless of what we think about him, the man can coach a defense and makes McVay's job that much easier, allowing him to handle the offense almost exclusively.