Is Sean McVay a great coach? Or was Jeff Fisher just that bad?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
McVay is a good coach already. Sure there are growing pains for a guy in his first HC job ever but from what I've seen so far, he is very good at 2nd half adjustments. All teams start games with a script and that script can quickly become useless if the defenses has a better game plan to start off. It's up to the offensive coaches to adjust at halftime. Compare that to Garrett, who is only about getting his players to execute the same game plan no matter what happens during the course of a game. If you get the Cowboys off their original script, you have a chance to beat them.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Great article today about McVay and his ability to adjust from yesterday's game:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...vay-has-rams-resembling-greatest-show-on-turf

"Well, guys, we can't play any worse -- and I can't put you in any worse positions -- and we're still up 9-7," McVay told his offensive players at halftime. "The good news is, if we don't piss down our legs, we'll get it together and win this game. We're out of sync, and one guy in particular is killing us. So now let's find a way to fix it and go back to doing what we do."

McVay had plenty to do with that, revising his game plan to run plays away from Clowney throughout the second half, supplementing that strategy by sliding extra blockers toward the linebacker and favoring calls designed to allow Goff to release the ball quickly.

"We had a problem," veteran offensive line coach Aaron Kromer said, "and Sean solved it."

He is already better than Garrett.

sean10mm

Reaction score
The funny thing is, I remember Garrett making halftime adjustments to the offense in 2007 that were often pretty good. That season is basically what he built his rep on, and he's coasted ever since.

It's like once he felt safe with Jerry he quit trying.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Fisher was a huge fraud, he was phoning it in since like 2004. He's tied for the career loss record with a guy who had 17 more wins!

A fraud? He was on Buddy Ryan's 1985 Chicago Bears defense, undisputably the best defense of All Time.

Fisher could kill a bear with his bear hands. You don't **** with him, he is a warrior. His players knew it and were willing to die for him if necessary.

KB1122

Reaction score
Does anyone wonder what Vince Young might have been if not for Jeff Fisher? Or how much better Steve McNair might have been?

I do.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
He had the courage to hire a great Defensive mind coach in Wade, and wasn't scared about the age gap or titles. He knew Wade is the best and went out and got him.

revospeed

Reaction score
It really helps that he has the greatest defensive minds in the NFL today (maybe Lebeau too) working with Aaron Donald and Robert Quinn to hold down the defense.

Stryker44

Reaction score
He had the courage to hire a great Defensive mind coach in Wade, and wasn't scared about the age gap or titles. He knew Wade is the best and went out and got him.

He could have hired Joe Barry. Joe ******* Barry.

BobGriffin3

Reaction score
Fisher is the most overrated coach I have ever seen.

snf_fnia_mikeanddannews_161127.jpg

Hold my beer.

But yeah I feel you. Fisher is garbage, always has been. But McVay will be a great coach because his offenses are just good.