Is Storey Jackson a hidden gem?

conner01

Reaction score
Ditto here.
- So long as Storey Jackson can prove he plays bigger and stronger than what his
listed size suggest. Maybe he can be another Kwon Alexander.
Same for Jabril Cox.

- While Storey is being profiled her as being athletic one to watch on this thread, there's another guy that i'm keepin' an eye watch on in Texas A&M LB Aaron Hansford, who was a 4 star recruit out of high school, he's a converted WR to LB, so he's still learning the LB position. Athletic with size (239 lbs) and fluidness.

- Like LSU's Damone Clarke, Hansford has played both LB roles, inside and out.
Ourlads' profile scouts him as "consistently makes plays in space" Has every down potential in due time as he's likely to work special teams.
If he can add 20 pounds and keep his speed will help

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just as fast as Kearse.

Almost exact same measurables as JoJo Domann.

And bigger and very likely faster than Nakobe Dean.

Like the above mentioned players Jackson plays faster than timed speed and more physical than his size would warrant.

I like his IQ and nose for ball more than Harper and Hansford.

Size and speed likely played a role in Dean falling and Domann not being drafted. Neither player is guaranteed to make it in the league any more than Storey is. I do think the Kearse role might be best for Storey if he is going to make it.

I don't have a problem with the player and look forward to seeing if he can transfer his play on the field at Liberty to the NFL level. I also don't see a problem with recognizing that there are some pretty big obstacles in his way. Hopefully, he can overcome them.

I think he compares favorably to a player like Barry Church (6-2, 218, 4.69), who had a decent career coming out of Toledo, so I'm certainly not saying he doesn't have a chance. Church was a very strong tackler who had football smarts and that helped him overcome his speed deficiences as much as possible.

Reactions: BAT

gimmesix

Reaction score
If he can add 20 pounds and keep his speed will help

Depends if we want him to be a linebacker or a strong safety/linebacker hybrid like Kearse. Watching his highlights, it doesn't look like he's built where he can carry a whole lot more weight.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Jackson isn't shy about tackling, and these team needs as many physical guys they stuff on the roster. Storey is probably battling Harper for a final LB roster spot.

Yes but can he cover

conner01

Reaction score
Depends if we want him to be a linebacker or a strong safety/linebacker hybrid like Kearse. Watching his highlights, it doesn't look like he's built where he can carry a whole lot more weight.
That may be true
Some guys just can’t get bigger
As a safety he’s plenty heavy enough
I haven’t watched him much
Can he cover?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Just looking & reviewing the various threads post-draft....CZers expressing a lot of faith & hope in the rookies - Storey Jackson, Sam Williams, Markquese Bell, John Ridgeway, Tyler Smith, Jalen Tolbert, etc.

Well, this is the honeymoon phase. I guess it's better than we hope for the best instead of thinking they all suck. Although we have some on here who seem to feel that way at least about some of them.

I try to keep my expectations realistic. Past draft history says that we're likely to find a couple of starters and couple of contributors from this class. If we find three starters, we're doing better than normal. If we find more than one Pro Bowler, we're doing better than normal. I want to do much better than normal, but I know better than to expect it by now.

I mean, look at last year's class, we got two starters (Parsons, Odighizuwa), one of whom was a Pro Bowler. Joseph, Golston and Bohanna contributed some on defense. Fehoko, Wright and Mukuama contributed on special teams. Cox seemed in line for a bigger role when he got ,. Farniok was a backup, and Ball did not play. That's not bad, but it will start to settle as we move forward. Players like Bohanna, Fehoko, Wright and Mukuamu could be beaten out for roster spots as early as this year.

With the bigger practice squad, we kept Vasher, Hardy, Coyle, Brandon Smith, Braylon Jones, Ralston and Faoliu from our UDFA class, but none of them really contributed last year. I would expect similar PS numbers from this year's class, though.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
He looks like a good football player but doesn't have the speed to go side line to side line IMO. With that said; I bet he has a really good preseason with a few big hits that will have Cowboys fans excited.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That may be true
Some guys just can’t get bigger
As a safety he’s plenty heavy enough
I haven’t watched him much
Can he cover?

Possibly well enough for what we would ask from him in the Kearse role, but we'll see. If his coverage skills are lacking, it's going to be hard for him to make this team IMO because I don't think we see him in the LVE or Parsons roles (essentially inside linebackers in the pseudo-3-4 fronts). Quinn seems to prefer to have some size in there for that, which is one reason Damone Clark was a nice pickup if he can bounce back from his surgery. That's probably the same spot Hansford will play.

If Storey can cover, he might also end up in the Neal/Cox role in the nickel because we do need some options there, although I figure that's where we'll play Harper.

It's funny. Now that I think about it, I didn't list any of these players as a backup to Parsons. I guess because I can't see any of them being able to do what he can do. I'd assume Gifford and Hansford are the two main Mike backups in the preseason. Clark probably would be if he was healthy. We also have Devonte Bond, and I don't know where he fits in exactly.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
So real of a story he wasn't drafted

Neither of these guys were drafted either:

Adam Thielen
Justin Tucker
Chris Harris
Malcolm Butler
Jason Peters
Kurt Warner
James Harrison
Jeff Saturday
Tony Romo
Antonio Gates
Brian Waters
Adam Vinatieri
Wes Welker
John Randle
Priest Holmes
Nate Newton
Mark Tuinei
Joe Jacoby
Warren Moon
Drew Pearson
Cliff Harris
Everson Walls
Emmitt Thomas
Emlen Tunnel
Night Train Lane
Marion Motley

Lot of pro bowlers and HOFers on that list.

Not saying this kid will be that good but the "but UDFA" schtick is lazy analysis.

MikeT22

Reaction score
First, they are called highlights for a reason. Second, he played at Liberty, not exactly at the top level of college football.

If it makes you feel better, he started out in JC and then Prairie View A&M.

It's true Liberty isn't a power 5 team, but they have played some decent competition the last couple of years: Syracuse, Ole Miss, Va Tech, UVA, NC State, Army, etc.

Of note, I looked at his profile on the Prairie View website and his nicknames are: Action Jackson & Hit Stick Six. :popcorn:

gimmesix

Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, he started out in JC and then Prairie View A&M.

It's true Liberty isn't a power 5 team, but they have played some decent competition the last couple of years: Syracuse, Ole Miss, Va Tech, UVA, NC State, Army, etc.

Of note, I looked at his profile on the Prairie View website and his nicknames are: Action Jackson & Hit Stick Six. :popcorn:

With a name like Storey, I don't think he needs a nickname.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was looking at his highlights and he seems to be for real. :angry:
Long shot. We always have to be careful about watching college highlight films then assuming that will translate to the NFL. Jackson is a long long shot. It’s always interesting to watch how a kid who was undrafted matches up with NFL players. Jackson rarely faced that level of talent and size in college.