Video: Is Taking Kyle Pitts At Pick 10 Insanity For The Cowboys? GBag Nation

morasp

Reaction score
It makes sense in a way if they're convinced he is this generational player. If we're worried about facing him twice a year if he goes to the Eagles he must be a pretty good player. There are eight CBs in the draft with starting grades and I'm sure they'd find one of them.

JBond

Reaction score
NFL.com has him ranked right behind Lawrence

1 Lawrence 7.4
2 Pitts 7.19
3 Smith 7.15
4 Chase 7.05
5 Surtain II 7.02

Overview
While the player comparison for the purposes of this scouting report is Darren Waller, Pitts may have the traits and talent to create mismatches similar to those created by Calvin Johnson and Tyreek Hill. His rare blend of size, athleticism and ball skills are reminiscent of Megatron’s. His ability as a pass-catching tight end could force defenses in his division to alter the way they construct their roster. He’s a tough matchup for most linebackers and too big for most cornerbacks. He offers offensive coordinators the ability to align him all over the field and, like Waller, can become a highly targeted, highly productive pass catcher from the tight end position. He puts in effort as a blocker but with limited success. That’s not what makes him special, though. Along with Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, Pitts has a chance to become the biggest game-changer in the 2021 NFL Draft.
I am very intrigued with Pitts. Can he block at all? He does remind me of Megatron. What can we get in the real world trade for Gallup? Maybe Gallup and a 3rd to move back into the late first?

No doubt he is elite talent. His wingspan and hands would really help Dak, but I would only do it if we get some value from trading Gallup.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
First of all, the main reason the Boys picked Zeke is because DeMarco Murray left us as a free agent. We had no RB. Plus, and I add a big plus, both The CowBOSA whom I loved and JR, (I was writing headlines: JR RETURNS TO DALLAS, recalling that great tv series of the 80's and early 90's) Jalen Ramsay, were already taken.

Regarding PITTS, I recall two University of Mimai TE's who were great, NFL Pro Bowl quality for at least two years in college football, Kellen Winslow, J.r and Jeremy Shockey.

College teams did not have the size speed in players to assign to Pitts. In the NFL, his ability to be so dominant is diminsihed. He is not a polished blocker. He is not a cover corner. The Cowboys only have one. He cannot stop the other team's offense.

Dak already has 4 targets to look at. Giving him a better 4th option will distract him from throwing to the top 3.

This team is in desperate mode for a top CB. We have an opportunity to take Surtain or Horn to fill a huge hole which must not be distracted. So what if there is a higher "rated" player at another position. This team needs defense, defense, and more defense. the only non-defensive player I would approve in the first 6 picks will be an OT.

In 1989, the Cowboys passed over Deion Sanders and Barry Sanders because they needed a real QB. There were those urging the Boys to take Tony Mandarich OT of Michigan State, a touted generational OT by Sports Illustarted who placed him on the front cover, calling him the best ever. Green Bay took the steroid-induced monster in one of the great busts of all time. My friend's cousin, Alan Veingrad, was ousted from a starting RT position for the poster child for steroid abuse. Veingrad later came to the Boys for 2 years as a backup guard and tackle. His Super Bowl ring can be seen on my hand to your left.

I pass Pitts in a heartbeat, unless a team offers us their 1, 2 and 3 in this year's draft and then we can have deals back to back to trade our two 2's to get back into the first round and draft CB Newsome or the Georgia kid plus FS Richie Grant.

Those advocating drafting Pitts are completely blind to the deperado need of this team at CB.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hopefully, not anymore.
LOL, so hoping it away is your strategy? C'mon man, you know he likes to experiment in the 2nd round. It's not always just an injured player. Sometimes it's just someone the scouts didn't advise him to pick. He has been known to let his grandsons helping with that pick. You can't hope it away, it's just a thing he does. It would be just like him, to throw the dice again by picking Caleb Farley in the 2nd round and that's the only Safety we draft.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Warning, warning, warning. College football players with multiple suregries are unikely to withstand NFL pounding. Caleb Farley is an injury disaster waiting to happen. Back surgery is a serious endeavor. With his history, some sucker team will be very disapointed. I do not select Farley at all. No speculation or risks. Off the board!!

I thank him for letting everyone know he is injury prone, so we do not have another wasted number one. Surtain was a three-year starter at Alabama, no injuries and the SEC Defensive Player of the Year last season.

At 10, it is Surtain or Horn.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
No one can convince me that Brown is a starting CB. And because of that we have to find a s starter and I think this team has their mind set on taking 1 in the first round. I think Surtain is their target. Horn is option #2.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
NFL.com has him ranked right behind Lawrence

1 Lawrence 7.4
2 Pitts 7.19
3 Smith 7.15
4 Chase 7.05
5 Surtain II 7.02

Overview
While the player comparison for the purposes of this scouting report is Darren Waller, Pitts may have the traits and talent to create mismatches similar to those created by Calvin Johnson and Tyreek Hill. His rare blend of size, athleticism and ball skills are reminiscent of Megatron’s. His ability as a pass-catching tight end could force defenses in his division to alter the way they construct their roster. He’s a tough matchup for most linebackers and too big for most cornerbacks. He offers offensive coordinators the ability to align him all over the field and, like Waller, can become a highly targeted, highly productive pass catcher from the tight end position. He puts in effort as a blocker but with limited success. That’s not what makes him special, though. Along with Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, Pitts has a chance to become the biggest game-changer in the 2021 NFL Draft.

This is turning into Dak (2.0). It's nothing about the talent it's the fact that we already have a receiving corp of: Cooper, Lamb and Gallup with 2 decent TE's. If we had the chance to flip any of those to sure up the D then I may be sold on it, however, unless we're prepared to trade Lamb that's not happening.

morasp

Reaction score
This is turning into Dak (2.0). It's nothing about the talent it's the fact that we already have a receiving corp of: Cooper, Lamb and Gallup with 2 decent TE's. If we had the chance to flip any of those to sure up the D then I may be sold on it, however, unless we're prepared to trade Lamb that's not happening.
I see it more like the Lamb pick last year. If they think He's a generational talent and he fell they may take him. Although Pitts grades out higher than Surtain they're both pro bowl talents and we sent the big guns to both his and Horn's pro days so it could be CB at 10. The Lamb pick was more obvious he was a top 10 player that fell to us and was easily the best player available.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I see it more like the Lamb pick last year. If they think He's a generational talent and he fell they may take him. Although Pitts grades out higher than Surtain they're both pro bowl talents and we sent the big guns to both his and Horn's pro days so it could be CB at 10. The Lamb pick was more obvious he was a top 10 player that fell to us and was easily the best player available.

But we needed a WR last year, maybe not a no.1 priority, but it was a need. You're looking at this on purely player talent, i'm looking at team weaknesses. Receiving and scoring points isnt the problem with the team and us winning games. We already have a top 3 receiving corp in the NFL, drafting another top receiver just gives an overload. Dak threw for his 370 yards per game last year....how does another great receiver add to those yards in such a way that it outweighs us actually stopping teams running game or pressuring the QB once in a while.

I wouldnt actually go for Surtain. If the talent difference between him and Horn (even Farley) isnt that great i'd consider trading down to improve later rounds....not sexy, but for us to win we need to dramatically our Defense with both quantity and quality.

morasp

Reaction score
But we needed a WR last year, maybe not a no.1 priority, but it was a need. You're looking at this on purely player talent, i'm looking at team weaknesses. Receiving and scoring points isnt the problem with the team and us winning games. We already have a top 3 receiving corp in the NFL, drafting another top receiver just gives an overload. Dak threw for his 370 yards per game last year....how does another great receiver add to those yards in such a way that it outweighs us actually stopping teams running game or pressuring the QB once in a while.

I'm good with defense. Any of the top defensive players would be great additions

MiddleStar

Reaction score
I am fairly certain that all of trading that Miami did on Friday was to get Pitts. I think they have him valued over the WRs. I wouldn't be surprised if Atl (not taking a QB) or even Cincinnati (also not taking a QB) wouldn't take him either.

rambo2

Reaction score
LOL, so hoping it away is your strategy? C'mon man, you know he likes to experiment in the 2nd round. It's not always just an injured player. Sometimes it's just someone the scouts didn't advise him to pick. He has been known to let his grandsons helping with that pick. You can't hope it away, it's just a thing he does. It would be just like him, to throw the dice again by picking Caleb Farley in the 2nd round and that's the only Safety we draft.

No, I believe that they are not going to take an injured player in the draft this year and they had an outstanding draft last year.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
I bet those who want Pitts at 10 wanted Zeke at 4 in 2016...

what is your point?

I would prefer Parson but if this guy is there you have to pick him. Trade back into first and get LB from Tulsa. Sign Brassard Breeland to a 1 year contract.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score
First of all, the main reason the Boys picked Zeke is because DeMarco Murray left us as a free agent. We had no RB. Plus, and I add a big plus, both The CowBOSA whom I loved and JR, (I was writing headlines: JR RETURNS TO DALLAS, recalling that great tv series of the 80's and early 90's) Jalen Ramsay, were already taken.

Regarding PITTS, I recall two University of Mimai TE's who were great, NFL Pro Bowl quality for at least two years in college football, Kellen Winslow, J.r and Jeremy Shockey.

College teams did not have the size speed in players to assign to Pitts. In the NFL, his ability to be so dominant is diminsihed. He is not a polished blocker. He is not a cover corner. The Cowboys only have one. He cannot stop the other team's offense.

Dak already has 4 targets to look at. Giving him a better 4th option will distract him from throwing to the top 3.

This team is in desperate mode for a top CB. We have an opportunity to take Surtain or Horn to fill a huge hole which must not be distracted. So what if there is a higher "rated" player at another position. This team needs defense, defense, and more defense. the only non-defensive player I would approve in the first 6 picks will be an OT.

In 1989, the Cowboys passed over Deion Sanders and Barry Sanders because they needed a real QB. There were those urging the Boys to take Tony Mandarich OT of Michigan State, a touted generational OT by Sports Illustarted who placed him on the front cover, calling him the best ever. Green Bay took the steroid-induced monster in one of the great busts of all time. My friend's cousin, Alan Veingrad, was ousted from a starting RT position for the poster child for steroid abuse. Veingrad later came to the Boys for 2 years as a backup guard and tackle. His Super Bowl ring can be seen on my hand to your left.

I pass Pitts in a heartbeat, unless a team offers us their 1, 2 and 3 in this year's draft and then we can have deals back to back to trade our two 2's to get back into the first round and draft CB Newsome or the Georgia kid plus FS Richie Grant.

Those advocating drafting Pitts are completely blind to the deperado need of this team at CB.

I see your point but i would disagree. YES we need a DB but there will be one with a NFL grade available with our 2nd pick. Ga. has 2 to choose from. At some point Gallup or Cooper has to go.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No, I believe that they are not going to take an injured player in the draft this year and they had an outstanding draft last year.
What if Caleb Farley is part of an outstanding draft. Oh, by the way, he's no longer injured.

rambo2

Reaction score
What if Caleb Farley is part of an outstanding draft. Oh, by the way, he's no longer injured.
He has already had 2 back surgeries and an ACL repair if I'm not mistaken. Let somebody else take him and take a corner that hasn't been hurt yet.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He has already had 2 back surgeries and an ACL repair if I'm not mistaken. Let somebody else take him and take a corner that hasn't been hurt yet.
He's a healed young man as good as new. Farley was able to return from his ACL injury and displayed no notable losses of athleticism. Thus, he avoids the red flag on his record. Caleb Farley checks all the boxes at cornerback.