Is the 2020 season a complete rebuild or just a tweak?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me say first I’m for signing Dak Prescott as opposed to tagging him. He’s not in the elite category of Mahomes, Wilson and Rogers but he’s certainly good enough to win with. IMO, too many people on this forum seem to believe all we have to do is go pick the “QB tree” and instantly have a better QB.

However....this thread is NOT just about the Dak dilemma...it’s about the makeup of the whole team. It’s about a fundamental question that hangs over this offseason: Is this a rebuild year or a year we just need to tweak the roster for a SB run?

The biggest clue we have about this question regarding how the Jones FO feels is probably found in the new head coach they just hired. The hiring of Mike McCarthy is a clear signal that this FO is in “Win Now” mode as opposed to rebuild.

In fact here are the indicators for a “win now” mentality:
  • The hiring of McCarthy- he’s not a rebuild type coach and I doubt he would have taken this job if he knew this team was going to start over at QB.
  • The cap space already committed to Zeke, the OL, DLaw and Jaylon S indicates they want to have those guys be their nucleus. Theta,ent they have acquired since 2013-16 is now mostly in their prime but not for much longer.
  • If Jerry seriously wants to win another championship before the grim reaper knocks, he probably is not excited about a big roster rebuild in a search for a new QB.
Here’s what I expect to happen this offseason that will indicate the “win now” philosophy:
  • Sign Dak as opposed to tagging him. If they are still not sure about him, they should have traded him. Tagging him will create a negative vibe similar to the Kirk Cousins thing in DC a couple of years ago.
  • High draft capital spent this year on defense. Especially at S, DT and maybe CB.
  • High expectations from MM to get tougher mentally and physically. This team has been soft for too long. If we want to make serious run, MM should be instilling some of that Jimmy Johnson “asthma field” mentality.
The offseason so far points to a win now mode as opposed to starting over in a new QB search. Going to be another interesting offseason.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Tweak, but with a new coach and staff, I gotta think MM has rebuild on his mind if we don’t have a successful season.

Rajveer

Reaction score
A complete rebuild or just a tweak will all depend on one person: DAK. If he holds out, we should trade him and start fresh. I get that he has the numbers and that he is a leader and all of that. However, you hold an organization hostage without doing much in playoffs or getting your team there, then you are not worth much of my time contemplating. I don't want two main guys who run my offense, to be previous holdouts.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tweak the offense and start the rebuild on defense. Get better depth players and that will help the ST’s.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Interesting you mentioned special teams. Did you notice how great the STs were for both Sb teams? It is 1/3 of the game and it’s a fast way to get a lot better.
When I see a coach of the Belichick standard have two guys on the roster (not K, P or LS) specifically for STs, it says all I need to know.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Interesting you mentioned special teams. Did you notice how great the STs were for both Sb teams? It is 1/3 of the game and it’s a fast way to get a lot better.
The 49ers kicking game was horrible this year. Gould was like 74%.

The Chiefs are better in the return game because they actually draft talent. Their return game is just a product of Hardman, not coaching, scheme, culture or whatever else people want to attribute to it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't hire Big Mike for a rebuild, he might have gone the college coach route for that.

In my mind, it's a tweak but it's not my mind we have to worry about. Well, maybe, but what does this hire mean Booger's got on his mind? Has he been listening, because it made him feel better, to those saying this team had as good a talent base as any team? If so, it's minor tweak, new HC, voila. He doesn't need new players, just new attitudes.

And before we think he is wrong, look at what he's seen moving from Campo to Parcells and Parcells to Phillips and Phillips to Garrett, the team improved with the coaching change in every instance. Him being an egotist, thinking he did anything wrong except keep the former HC employed too long would be more acceptable to him. It ain't broke, just bent a little and he sure as hell didn't bend it.

And to what degree did Big Mike feed that in the 12 hour interview that won Booger over? One thing I think is safe for us to assume, Big Mike came with a plan, a detailed plan that stretched the interview and got him the job. Better be a stalwart plan because that's the one Booger is depending on to get them back to relevance on the field. He sold himself and he sold his plan.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No idea...

We have so many free agents and big contracts looming.. We'll just have to look at our roster in May and then we can project.

Dallas #1 priority needs to be putting together a quality defense. I felt like they did that this ye

Signing Dak and Amari doesn't make us a contender.

CWR

Reaction score
Let me say first I’m for signing Dak Prescott as opposed to tagging him. He’s not in the elite category of Mahomes, Wilson and Rogers but he’s certainly good enough to win with. IMO, too many people on this forum seem to believe all we have to do is go pick the “QB tree” and instantly have a better QB.

However....this thread is NOT just about the Dak dilemma...it’s about the makeup of the whole team. It’s about a fundamental question that hangs over this offseason: Is this a rebuild year or a year we just need to tweak the roster for a SB run?

The biggest clue we have about this question regarding how the Jones FO feels is probably found in the new head coach they just hired. The hiring of Mike McCarthy is a clear signal that this FO is in “Win Now” mode as opposed to rebuild.

In fact here are the indicators for a “win now” mentality:
  • The hiring of McCarthy- he’s not a rebuild type coach and I doubt he would have taken this job if he knew this team was going to start over at QB.
  • The cap space already committed to Zeke, the OL, DLaw and Jaylon S indicates they want to have those guys be their nucleus. Theta,ent they have acquired since 2013-16 is now mostly in their prime but not for much longer.
  • If Jerry seriously wants to win another championship before the grim reaper knocks, he probably is not excited about a big roster rebuild in a search for a new QB.
Here’s what I expect to happen this offseason that will indicate the “win now” philosophy:
  • Sign Dak as opposed to tagging him. If they are still not sure about him, they should have traded him. Tagging him will create a negative vibe similar to the Kirk Cousins thing in DC a couple of years ago.
  • High draft capital spent this year on defense. Especially at S, DT and maybe CB.
  • High expectations from MM to get tougher mentally and physically. This team has been soft for too long. If we want to make serious run, MM should be instilling some of that Jimmy Johnson “asthma field” mentality.
The offseason so far points to a win now mode as opposed to starting over in a new QB search. Going to be another interesting offseason.

Yes sir, you answered your own question. The FO believes this team is ready now, WITH just a couple tweaks here and there.

I also agree with you on Dak. I have reversed course from franchising him. Dak would likely hold out. That said I hope he's reasonable. If hes expecting to be paid like Mahomes is going to be paid we need to put the transition tag on him and hopefully someone will take him. I too believe the ease of finding an upgrade over Dak is greatly exaggerated on this board. Id hate to part ways and end up worse off. The reality is its very likely the next QB we draft wont have Daks success. Although there are some FA qbs who could possibly do very well for us.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Tweak.

You can't be paying big high dollar money to tons of players (Tank, Zeke, Martin, Tyron, Jaylon Smith, La'el, Frederick, possible Cooper or Dak) and spin it as "oh where re-bulding the team".

It's an oxymoron to have tons of franchise players locked up to mostly top 5 contracts and then say "where re-building something thats majority built"

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 49ers kicking game was horrible this year. Gould was like 74%.

The Chiefs are better in the return game because they actually draft talent. Their return game is just a product of Hardman, not coaching, scheme, culture or whatever else people want to attribute to it.
Both teams had outstanding kick coverages all year. Big part of STs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't hire Big Mike for a rebuild, he might have gone the college coach route for that.

In my mind, it's a tweak but it's not my mind we have to worry about. Well, maybe, but what does this hire mean Booger's got on his mind? Has he been listening, because it made him feel better, to those saying this team had as good a talent base as any team? If so, it's minor tweak, new HC, voila. He doesn't need new players, just new attitudes.

And before we think he is wrong, look at what he's seen moving from Campo to Parcells and Parcells to Phillips and Phillips to Garrett, the team improved with the coaching change in every instance. Him being an egotist, thinking he did anything wrong except keep the former HC employed too long would be more acceptable to him. It ain't broke, just bent a little and he sure as hell didn't bend it.

And to what degree did Big Mike feed that in the 12 hour interview that won Booger over? One thing I think is safe for us to assume, Big Mike came with a plan, a detailed plan that stretched the interview and got him the job. Better be a stalwart plan because that's the one Booger is depending on to get them back to relevance on the field. He sold himself and he sold his plan.
McCarthy’s plan is probably on a short leash. Because he was hired to win now, after 2 seasons, if he hasn’t taken this team any further than Garrett, I believe he’s out. No pressure or anything, lol.

Aven8

Reaction score
Tweak. Mike goes 12-4 with the same roster we had last season and health IMO. I’m ready for some new players however. I just hope they pick the right players.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Offensively just a tweak. But we will have to rebuilt the DB's from almost scratch.

starfan1

Reaction score
This defense needs somewhat of an overhaul. The only players from this year on the starting 11 should be LVE,Smith,DLaw ,Awzuzi (only because hes under contract),Woods and Jones if they can keep him. Id like to keep Quinn but numbers may pinch him out. Antwan should come off the bench, Lewis perhaps can be a starter.

first 3 picks should be DT and Safety and corner or LB. FA would be could to pick up some better defensive talent on the line. Is Gregory done?

Just tweaks on offense we need some depth on the O-line and I hope Cobb returns without the dropsies

John813

Reaction score
0-16 leading to Trevor Lawrence is my guess.

It's a tweak season. I expect another defense heavy offseason with some offense depth sprinkled in.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Tweak. If the Cowboys can improve the middle of the defense, special teams and their mental toughness, it's a 10 win or better team.

Overall a tweak but they have a ton to do on D and ST. Defense you can see 2 or 3 new starters on the DL. I also think you can see 2 new starters at S. STs was a disaster. I expect a new P, K and many new phases across the sub groups. I agree that this is still a good roster and 10 plus wins should be the benchmark. Garrett was a minus 2-3 win coach nearly his entire tenure. Guy sucked. Long live the Mike McCarthy era!!

Of course Dak's situation becoming a goat rodeo could ruin everything.