Is the 2020 season a complete rebuild or just a tweak?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know you're going to trigger some folks with the R-word, as if it matters. :muttley:

2020 is the 25th season since the Cowboys won something more than a divisional title. Tweak, rebuild, call it whatever you like, it's all about results.
Ah yes results....if only we had an owner who saw the results of the last 25 years as a referendum on his “leadership”.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You don’t adjust your expectations based on the situation?

Did you have that same expectation of Garrett?

If so, you just be really satisfied with the decision to let him go and be 100% on board with the decision to hire a new coach.
I’m basing expectations on the public perception which had Garrett fired.

But yes, McCarthy should be held to the same Bar.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
It’s already a rebuild. The coaching staff has been overturned, we have like what, 30-42 FA players waiting to be signed? There will be a huge turnover. We need to rework the defense entirely. New D-line (guess we need a DE and DT’s that compliment D-Law well since D-Law is here to stay). We need another LB since Lee will likely retire. We don’t know LVE’s status even though early indications are good. We need to move Jaylon back to his natural position and build around him since he’s here to stay as well. We need to toss the secondary completely IMO. Players never play the ball (which was likely due to coaching), they often got burned or messed up their assignments completely. However, if we fix the D-Line, we’ll be fine. Good D-line’s can make a team. We need a safety, 1 or 2 CB’s in the outfield.

Offensively... I want a new QB, but I don’t know how the outlook on that is right now. If all the pieces around him are perfect, we can win, but that’s hard to do. Especially with the contract he wants. We need to keep our current WR’s. I wouldn’t mind drafting another one, but Gallup, Coop, and Cobb are good enough to me. We need another TE. Jarwin is great, but we’ve been ignoring the position for a while. We could draft the next Kelce or Kittle! O-line is fine for now IMO. Zeke and Pollard are a good one-two punch. I’m not as worried about the offense, but it needs tweaks.

As for ST, we need competition for Forbath. He did great at the end, but so did Maher when he started for us. We definitely need a new punter.

Overall, I say we need a minor rebuild.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I’m basing expectations on the public perception which had Garrett fired.

But yes, McCarthy should be held to the same Bar.
So, you disagreed that the bar for Garrett should have been NFC Championship or termination?

And since message board posters justified Garrett’s firing based on that criteria you now want McCarthy to have a one year opportunity to do what Garrett didn’t do in ten?

Don’t be coy.

You can’t have it both ways unless your position is “my guy got screwed, now it’s payback”. If that’s the case, then so be it.

Own it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, you disagreed that the bar for Garrett should have been NFC Championship or termination?

And since message board posters justified Garrett’s firing based on that criteria you now want McCarthy to have a one year opportunity to do what Garrett didn’t do in ten?

Don’t be coy.

You can’t have it both ways unless your position is “my guy got screwed, now it’s payback”. If that’s the case, then so be it.

Own it.
Correct. But I’ll give Fat Mikey a couple years.

And the championship or bust wasn’t placed on Garrett until last year.

I only tolerated the lack of success with Garrett cause I didn’t believe with Jerry we had better options. Now that Jerry appears more willing to bring in a proven HC the leash is shorter.

But yea, I didn’t think last years roster was championship caliber . It was an unfair ultimatum placed on one season for the duration of tenure. Totally Ridiculous.

So, why should we be satisfied with similar results with this caliber HC?

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
Correct. But I’ll give Fat Mikey a couple years.
Sounds good

I thought you might be interested in this

Garrett quote from the 2919 kickoff luncheon

“On Sunday night, Feb. 2, 2020, there’s going to be a platform on the field down in Miami. We want to be on that platform. That’s our goal. If you don’t have that goal, you shouldn’t be part of this team.”

Set aside all of us knuckleheads in the Fan Zone, all the media chatter and really everything but your feelings about the season.

Read Garrett’s own statement on the plan for 2019

How close did we come to that goal?
How many years should a coach have to achieve that goal? 2 years? 9? As many as they want?

I would contend that no one had unrealistic expectations of Jason Garrett. He failed. It’s not just on him, but he failed by any reasonable definition of the term. It can’t just go on forever because Jerry loves him and he’s a nice guy.

In the NFL, results matter more than anything. His results were poor.

The average tenure of NFL coaches in 2019 was 4.3 years. Garrett had double that.

I like Garrett as a person, I liked him as a coach in his first few years, but that’s not enough, especially after nine seasons.

Time for a change and any real Cowboy fan will get on board and support the new coach or they’ll be missing out a chance to experience the sense of hope and happiness with the new season.

Have a great night

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sounds good

I thought you might be interested in this

Garrett quote from the 2919 kickoff luncheon

“On Sunday night, Feb. 2, 2020, there’s going to be a platform on the field down in Miami. We want to be on that platform. That’s our goal. If you don’t have that goal, you shouldn’t be part of this team.”

Set aside all of us knuckleheads in the Fan Zone, all the media chatter and really everything but your feelings about the season.

Read Garrett’s own statement on the plan for 2019

How close did we come to that goal?
How many years should a coach have to achieve that goal? 2 years? 9? As many as they want?

I would contend that no one had unrealistic expectations of Jason Garrett. He failed. It’s not just on him, but he failed by any reasonable definition of the term. It can’t just go on forever because Jerry loves him and he’s a nice guy.

In the NFL, results matter more than anything. His results were poor.

The average tenure of NFL coaches in 2019 was 4.3 years. Garrett had double that.

I like Garrett as a person, I liked him as a coach in his first few years, but that’s not enough, especially after nine seasons.

Time for a change and any real Cowboy fan will get on board and support the new coach or they’ll be missing out a chance to experience the sense of hope and happiness with the new season.

Have a great night
That’s the team goal every year. Surely you don’t believe the same as an ultimatum?

I’ve been without hope for a couple decades.

Kwyn

Reaction score
That’s the team goal every year. Surely you don’t believe the same as an ultimatum?

I’ve been without hope for a couple decades.
I’m sorry. Cynicism is not good for us.

Maybe this year you’ll find something to be hopeful about

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Let me say first I’m for signing Dak Prescott as opposed to tagging him. He’s not in the elite category of Mahomes, Wilson and Rogers but he’s certainly good enough to win with. IMO, too many people on this forum seem to believe all we have to do is go pick the “QB tree” and instantly have a better QB.

However....this thread is NOT just about the Dak dilemma...it’s about the makeup of the whole team. It’s about a fundamental question that hangs over this offseason: Is this a rebuild year or a year we just need to tweak the roster for a SB run?

The biggest clue we have about this question regarding how the Jones FO feels is probably found in the new head coach they just hired. The hiring of Mike McCarthy is a clear signal that this FO is in “Win Now” mode as opposed to rebuild.

In fact here are the indicators for a “win now” mentality:
  • The hiring of McCarthy- he’s not a rebuild type coach and I doubt he would have taken this job if he knew this team was going to start over at QB.
  • The cap space already committed to Zeke, the OL, DLaw and Jaylon S indicates they want to have those guys be their nucleus. Theta,ent they have acquired since 2013-16 is now mostly in their prime but not for much longer.
  • If Jerry seriously wants to win another championship before the grim reaper knocks, he probably is not excited about a big roster rebuild in a search for a new QB.
Here’s what I expect to happen this offseason that will indicate the “win now” philosophy:
  • Sign Dak as opposed to tagging him. If they are still not sure about him, they should have traded him. Tagging him will create a negative vibe similar to the Kirk Cousins thing in DC a couple of years ago.
  • High draft capital spent this year on defense. Especially at S, DT and maybe CB.
  • High expectations from MM to get tougher mentally and physically. This team has been soft for too long. If we want to make serious run, MM should be instilling some of that Jimmy Johnson “asthma field” mentality.
The offseason so far points to a win now mode as opposed to starting over in a new QB search. Going to be another interesting offseason.

The offensive rebuild starts in 3-4 seasons.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What about their coverage teams? They were great at that aspect of the game and it went a long way toward the outcome. It was the most important part of the ST battles and both teams were good at it. That’s all about coaching, scheme and culture.
Nope. Talent. The schemes are all the same thing.

Darkhound

Reaction score
In my personal opinion... I sadly see something like this happening

Dak will holdout.... they will SIGH.... most likely overpay him... and it will be a similar situation like Zeke.. he will under perform and we will have a so so season.

I has a feeling something like this would happen once Zeke got his way