Is the Boxing training helping Micah?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Ed Too Tall Jones took a year off to box. It did not go as well as he planned. But when he returned, I believe he was a better player.
He did go 6-0 as a pro boxer, but it was just a bunch of "ham-and-eggers", to borrow a phrase from Bobby Heenan. He was no danger to Ali and Holmes.

Too Tall had offers from major league baseball, and probably could have made it to the NBAas he started off his collegiate athletic career as a basketball player.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
It sure helped Erik Williams make Reggie White ***** up! It definitely helps with hand strength and speed! Basically almost any combat sport training will help him out.
Randy White was a beast and his martial art training played a large part, other than his natural speed and strength!

Lol, love me some Big E. pre injury.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Yes. Boxing helps to improve hand speed as well alot of other things that would help him on the field.

O -line used to take ballet classes to improve balance, so those saying "no" literally dont know what they're talking about.

conner01

Reaction score
As a DE yes to use your hands better, and to disengage better. His game is all based on speed, is this helpful? Would he be better scene focusing more on speed moves, and bend as a pass rusher?? Micah's game is his speed, I don't really see him use a bevy of pass rush moves, I'm not bashing Micah, i'm glad he's training etc! This is just a question, please give your thoughts!!!

Not bashing him (I'll say it again!)
I think so. Disengaging and hand fighting helps every pass rusher. You can’t beat everyone with speed. But what could help him more than anything is simmers double blitz looks. It makes it harder for anyone on the oline to help out with pass rush since the guards and center have to stay aware another couple seconds

exciter

Reaction score
As a DE yes to use your hands better, and to disengage better. His game is all based on speed, is this helpful? Would he be better scene focusing more on speed moves, and bend as a pass rusher?? Micah's game is his speed, I don't really see him use a bevy of pass rush moves, I'm not bashing Micah, i'm glad he's training etc! This is just a question, please give your thoughts!!!

Didn’t Demarcus Ware take taekwondo or something training every off-season? No one ever questioned it. Like you said, he’s already fast. No reason he shouldn’t try to improve other aspects of his game!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

If you’ve ever boxed you’d know that it’s one of the most physically demanding sports out there. Just try going 1 full round with someone. So yes, it helps him tremendously with his conditioning.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No, I prefer him to train with his team at OTA rather than doing his own thing.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
In 1977, the Cowboys defense and in particular, Randy White, worked with a martial arts instructor. That seemed to work out pretty well.........

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Hand fighting is one of the most important skills anyone who plays on or around the LOS can have. Boxing certainly helps with hand quickness and how to deliver a blow with force as efficiently as possible.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Boxing can help your body in many ways, including:
  • Cardio fitness: Boxing is a challenging alternative to traditional cardio workouts that can burn more calories than running.
  • Muscle groups: Boxing works multiple muscle groups, including your shoulders, arms, core, and upper back.
  • Strength: Boxing is a combination of cardio and strength that can help you build fast-twitch muscle fibers, lung capacity, and your ability to react.
  • Balance: The agility component of boxing is great for balance, while punching improves hand-eye coordination.
  • Body composition: Boxing can help improve your body composition.
  • Stress reduction: Boxing can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.
  • Well-being: Boxing can improve your overall well-being

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I personally have never boxed so no frame of reference here but I thought endurance was a huge part of training to box right?

cowboyed

Reaction score
Micah is refining his offensive skills so he can knock out some of the penalty non-call refs.

Creeper

Reaction score
If he thinks it helps him, that is all that matters. I remember when some players took up ballet to improve their football skills as WRs. Some guys took martial arts. Boxing teaches balance, footwork, and leverage with your hands. I can see where there is some benefit. Sun Tzu wrote, the battle is won before it is fought. He was referring to preparation and planning. Boxing in a gym is part of the preparation I guess.