CFZ Is The Defense Dominant?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’ll be watching to see if the defense is truly a dominant unit anywhere near top defenses from the 70’s and 90’s in Dallas or like other dominant defenses. Or will they again be a bunch of great pass rushers making some big plays, but still allowing long drives and struggling against the run. I started a thread this morning which some of you got shut down before I could come home from work and golf to respond….lol. Way to go!

One comment asked what I expect Mike and Brian to do that Linehan, Garrett, and Moore didn’t do? Duh, hate to be insulting, but for over a decade I’ve listened to fans complain about our outdated offense and heard defenses (including SF) say they knew what we were running before the snap and often ran the routes better than our receivers, so yes, I’m expecting more of the west coast offense, more screens, more FB, more short passes and YAC, and lots more picks and bunch plays. No more 3 receivers all running 5-7 yard curls at the same time.

Another comment acted like I started another Dak thread….ummm, the title had Dak’s name in it, but it was clearly notifying anyone reading the title that I was hoping to avoid that topic, and the thread was more about how I think the defense has something to prove too. It’s one thing to be a good defense with lots of pass rushers and takeaways. It’s another thing to be an elite defense that actually dominates the opposition and forces lots of punting and a lopsided time of possession. I keep hoping our defense is approaching being more than opportunistic, better than playing complimentary football. Maybe that’s asking a lot, but I’m hoping.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Another comment acted like I started another Dak thread….ummm, the title had Dak’s name in it, but it was clearly notifying anyone reading the title that I was hoping to avoid that topic, and the thread was more about how I think the defense has something to prove too. It’s one thing to be a good defense with lots of pass rushers and takeaways. It’s another thing to be an elite defense that actually dominates the opposition and forces lots of punting and a lopsided time of possession. I keep hoping our defense is approaching being more than opportunistic, better than playing complimentary football. Maybe that’s asking a lot, but I’m hoping.
You put his name three times in the title. That is like someone in the movie Beetlejuice saying it and then being shocked at the results.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To be a dominant defense the Cowboys are going to have to dramatically improve against the run. They were 22nd against the run last season. You’re not going to be a great defense or team if you can’t contain the run. We can’t allow an opponent to impose their will on us. That catches up with you in the playoffs, if you make the playoffs.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Not sure how we could be dominant. Compare our DL to our division rivals and where do we stand - 3rd or 4th maybe.

And it also seems as if many are concerned about our LB's inexperience and depth at the position.

I like where we are on the perimeter but the best defenses seem to have a front that takes pressure off the back end. Micah's the man but he needs lots of help.

We should be good, but I don't think dominant is in the cards.

Aven8

Reaction score
Depends on how good Damone Clark really is. Is if he’s a top 10 LB this defense is going to be really good. We know the rest of the D. Outside of LVE LB has been weak for years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A dominant defense all starts up front. You stuff the run and get after the QB with relentless pressure. We’ll see if Mazi Smith proves to be the answer at DT. He’s certainly going to have to look better than he did in preseason. The Cowboys have been capable of playing dominant defense, but they can’t maintain it throughout the season. We have a few games where the defense starts to look special, then it falls off. Consistency has been an issue.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We appeared to be on track to having a dominant defense early last season. A big part of the reason we were winning games with Cooper. Rush was because of our defense. Our pass rush was the best I had seen in 30 years from a Cowboys defense. However, things started to change with the defense after we blew the game to the Packers. We reverted right back to looking like a bunch of Keystone cops trying to defend Aaron Rodgers in the second half. Rodgers had his best game of the season against us.
I knew after that game our season wouldn’t end any differently than previous seasons. Our vaunted pass rush started to slowly fizzle and our issues against the run continued.

CCBoy

Reaction score
If the coaches don't panick...neither will the players!

Depend upon the trend setters and underdogs!!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You put his name three times in the title. That is like someone in the movie Beetlejuice saying it and then being shocked at the results.
Okay, that was funny, but it clearly wasn’t about Dak….at all, as I didn‘T focus on him.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I’ll be watching to see if the defense is truly a dominant unit anywhere near top defenses from the 70’s and 90’s in Dallas or like other dominant defenses. Or will they again be a bunch of great pass rushers making some big plays, but still allowing long drives and struggling against the run. I started a thread this morning which some of you got shut down before I could come home from work and golf to respond….lol. Way to go!

One comment asked what I expect Mike and Brian to do that Linehan, Garrett, and Moore didn’t do? Duh, hate to be insulting, but for over a decade I’ve listened to fans complain about our outdated offense and heard defenses (including SF) say they knew what we were running before the snap and often ran the routes better than our receivers, so yes, I’m expecting more of the west coast offense, more screens, more FB, more short passes and YAC, and lots more picks and bunch plays. No more 3 receivers all running 5-7 yard curls at the same time.

Don't look for what you saw in the 70's or 90's, it will look different today

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Depends on how good Damone Clark really is. Is if he’s a top 10 LB this defense is going to be really good. We know the rest of the D. Outside of LVE LB has been weak for years.
I lot hinges on Clarks play, more than most are talking about.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
I think the defense dropped off last season because Micah and DLaw got banged up, right?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m hoping a healthy Gallimore can at least contribute more vs the run and that Diggy can be a playmaker. But what I’m hoping most is that having Hankins from the beginning and in better game shape due to the off-season will help us up front and allow Mazi to stay fresh enough to help. This defense will never be really good until they can make an opposing offense 1-dimensional. Then the pass rush and improved secondary will be free to really do their thing.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
We will see. However I think it’s a mistake comparing them to doomsday or the 90s defense…it’s an entirely different game and league now. Offense is too heavy, they don’t need to be those defense for us to be very very good and if those are the barometer or bar they’ll like disappoint

Reactions: CWR