Is the 'firing' of Belichick bigger, worse, and more disrespectful than the Landry firing?

Chasing6

Reaction score
He couldn’t win the Super Bowl again because all those Green Bay teams revolved around Aaron Rodgers. This is why Rodgers won a number of MVPs. Some of those teams weren’t even that great, Rodgers was carrying them. Rodgers led them to a 15-1 season with the worst ranked defense in the league in 2011. When a team is totally dependent on the play of their QB, it will catch up to them in the playoffs.
I agree 100%, but at least half our fans only believe QB's win the Super Bowl.

Ironically we won 3 SB in the 90's and Troy only got 1 MVP.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It didn’t help that Rodgers was injured for some of those games, but he and McCarthy weren’t getting along if you believe the reports.
But Rodgers being injured was the reason the relationship deteriorated to that point. He missed eight games with a broken clavicle in 2017 and rushed his return. (Collarbones aren't fully healed until 12 weeks.) Then coming off that season, he suffered a tibial plateau fracture and sprained his MCL during the team's regular-season opener. If not for those injuries, who knows how things would have turned out in Green Bay? If Rodgers had been healthy, the history of the team under McCarthy says they would have been in the thick of the Super Bowl hunt, since they had made the playoffs eight straight seasons and reached the NFC Championship Game two out of the past three seasons. Rodgers wasn't healthy so McCarthy bore the brunt of that.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Few things are less respectful than young new guy coming in and tossing out venerated old guy without so much as a meeting. That is what Jerry did with Landry.
Your blind love of Landry is clouding your view of true history, old forest cherub.

Now, tossing someone without a meeting? Really, laddie?
As wire stories reported, misguided lad, Jerald, wanting to do the right thing with the old man, followed Landry the runaway bride across the region and, finally, to a luxe golf course. There, a stressed-out Jerald told him he now belonged to the ages.
Yes, Sherman, a petulant, bitter Landry played hide and seek.
When ye revisionist self comes to back to reality, read the real history, not your fan mag.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hard to run complex and disciplined systems with today's limited practice time and constant player turnover.
Bill seems to have lost his passion the last couple years.
It's time.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Fired? Mutual parting? I assume he was fired, or at minimum told to be gone. Belichick has more wins (I think) and more super bowl trophies than Landry.
Try to put aside your Cowboy fan bias for a second and answer.

I think it is for one main reason. Team loyalty was a lot stronger back then than it is today. Players are moving around in free agency and coaches are getting fired and hired so much these days. Belichick likely will continue coaching with another team. Maybe even Washington. I don't think Landry had any intention to ever coach anywhere after getting fired.

The firing of Belichick doesn't seem to be big news.
It’s getting a lot of play in the news.

The Pats owner is doing BillB a favor.

NE is going to do a major rebuild.

Does Bill want to spend his last coaching years going through that?

No.

But Dallas already has talent.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Jimmy never won a ring without Troy. Troy won without Jimmy. Jimmy sucks.

What a beyond stupid opinion. To say it’s stupid is an understatement
Brady and Big Bill are both legends and among the greatest to ever do their jobs. Together they produced history. To suggest Bill only won because Brady is beyond stupid. What coach has won a SB with a lousy QB? Bill Walsh is one of the greats. Does he actually suck because he couldn’t win one without Montana? It’s just moronic to think Belichick is a product of Tom Brady. Bill is 72. If he slipped some it’s to be expected at that age.

Mcsports

Reaction score
Landry should have seen it coming. The team was in decline, his best days were behind him. Couple that with a change in ownership and he should have seen it coming from miles away.
He probably should have seen it coming but it happened so quickly. Only a handful of people knew.
Plus Landry had been Dallas first and only coach up to that time.
He undoubtedly thought he would write his final chapter.

Mcsports

Reaction score
Landry was not Blindsided. He was a big boy, he knew exactly how it would all work out. The new CEO or President always gets rid of the old staff and brings in his own. Ridiculous!
Landry reportedly uttered: “they’ve taken my team away from me” during his first meeting with Jones.
Those words sound, to me, like someone who was blindsided.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It’s getting a lot of play in the news.

The Pats owner is doing BillB a favor.

NE is going to do a major rebuild.

Does Bill want to spend his last coaching years going through that?

No.

But Dallas already has talent.
The same could have been said about Jerry dumping Landry. The Cowboys we’re going thorough an even bigger rebuild.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Here is the thing with this very thread...

It reinforces the current market rates for QB's.

No one should take anything away from these coaches for winning with QB's. But...angry posters should stop using QB pay as an outlet for negativity.

QB play is important. The market is what it is for a reason. So separate pay vs play when evaluating decent to very good QB's. Bringing up pay when discussing Dak Prescott is unfair. He is not the market, but he is definitely good enough to set the market every few years or be in the top 5 QB pay for a year or two until new QB contracts move him to top 10 in play.

Only discuss QB pay and play when your QB is obviously not good and gets paid in top 15.

Yup...I made this about Dak. No I didnt. I just saw an opportunity to highlight why the QB market is what it is and why using it against decent to good QB's isnt fair.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
He probably should have seen it coming but it happened so quickly. Only a handful of people knew.
Plus Landry had been Dallas first and only coach up to that time.
He undoubtedly thought he would write his final chapter.
Change of ownership + a lousy team = coach gets fired

Landry had to know it was coming. if he didn't, shame on him. and I'm a huge tom landry fan. But the writing was on the wall.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Landry reportedly uttered: “they’ve taken my team away from me” during his first meeting with Jones.
Those words sound, to me, like someone who was blindsided.
‘My team?’ Just whose team is it? If a coach could say that, a QB could also say the same thing.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Kraft must have smartened up and realized he screwed up by choosing BB over Brady saw how much BB sucked without Brady and got rid of him. What'd he do wrong exactly? Should BB get to coach forever because the GOAT who's not there anymore won him all those Super Bowls?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Fired? Mutual parting? I assume he was fired, or at minimum told to be gone. Belichick has more wins (I think) and more super bowl trophies than Landry.
Try to put aside your Cowboy fan bias for a second and answer.

I think it is for one main reason. Team loyalty was a lot stronger back then than it is today. Players are moving around in free agency and coaches are getting fired and hired so much these days. Belichick likely will continue coaching with another team. Maybe even Washington. I don't think Landry had any intention to ever coach anywhere after getting fired.

The firing of Belichick doesn't seem to be big news.
In this day and age in the NFL, getting fired is no big deal, no matter who you are.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
At some point you have to know when it's time to go. Both were legends, but had been in decline for a few years.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
It is absolutely ridiculous to assert it was all Brady and not Belichick who was responsible for making it to 12 conference championship games and 9 SB's while winning 6 of them.

Brady was the prime ingredient to be sure but he needed a team to be built around him for 19 years.

How did the Patriots go 11-5 in 2008 despite Brady being out for the season?

Belichick had a genius method for acquiring talent through the draft despite having to draft in the bottom quarter year in and year out. In fact, half the time, the Patriots drafted last or 2nd to last.

The Patriots had a top 5 defense 9 out of 18 seasons. Did Brady do that?

During Belichicks tenure, how many of his coordinators and assistants end up leaving the team as new HC's and coordinators? We see what happened to the Eagles this season but it seemed like Belichick went through this every other year. Did Brady assist in this?

I'm not a Belichick fan or Patriots fan but as an NFL fan, how can I honestly disrespect what he has accomplished?

How can I participate in downplaying his accomplishments when I would have given anything to see someone do the same with my Cowboys?

More than any other HC in NFL history, this guy deserved to go out on his terms.

There are 32 teams in the NFL and so the odds of any team winning a SB is 1 in 32. Under Belichick, the Patriots won their share for the next 200 years.

How many teams saw the potential for Tom Brady?

Tom Brady was a skinny, 6th round pick, passed by 32 teams 5 times. If he wasn't drafted by a bottom-line, results oriented coach like Belichick would he even been given a chance?

And it's not like Brady lit the world on fire as soon as he started. He had plenty of help. In his first combined 4 years as a starter the Patriots won 3 Super Bowls while Brady's passer rating was a pedestrian 87.5. ranking him 13th for that 4 year period. He had a 2-1 ratio of TD's to INT's with 97 TD's and 52 INT's.

During Brady's early years the defense was star studded with perennial Pro Bowlers Lawyer Malloy, Ty Law. Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymor, and Willie McGinnist. Brady didn't build that defense.

Calling Bill Belichick "trash" and "garbage" is not only disrespectful to him but also to the game itself and to every player and coach in the NFL who aspires to achieve even half of what he accomplished.

And, yes, it's just as big, bad and disrespectful as when Landry was fired. Any Patriot fan that is okay with throwing Belichick out like this doesn't deserve to celebrate a single one of those 6 Super Bowl championships.
I wish I could give this post multiple likes. Well said. How’s it possible to downplay a guy with 6 Super Bowl rings as a HC and another 2 as a DC. His defensive game plan against the Bills was brilliant. That Giant team won a SB with a backup QB. Buffalo should have destroyed the Giants. Some people here are just unreal.