News: Is The Sense Of Entitlement Gone For The Dallas Cowboys?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

It's time to go meme-killing again! Today, we are doing battle with the idea that the Cowboys have an expectation that they just have to show up with their Star on the helmet at the big, shiny venue formerly known as Cowboys Stadium, and they are just going to win games because they are so dad-gummed awesome. And of course Jerry Jones is going to open up that big old checkbook and pay them the big bucks because he loves his players so much.

This has been around for a few years. I think it actually dates back to the waning years of the Tom Landry era, when there were reports that players were just showing up for their paychecks. Jimmy Johnson cleared those players out in a hurry, but when he left, the team went into decline, and it took a while for the team (and Jerry Jones) to realize what was happening. Like most of the memes that surround Dallas, this one is based in some actual problems the team had.

And as with most of the memes, it is based on the past. It has almost nothing to do with how things are now.

This is one of the things that Jason Garrett came in and set out to change. He made it clear that he expects competition up and down the roster. If you are an obvious star by virtue of being clearly the best at your position, so be it, but you still need to work day in and day out. Nobody rests on their laurels. You might be the darling of the moment, but all that matters is what you are able to do for the team now. Not what you did a year or even a game ago.

Many are still skeptical about just how effective Garrett is as a head coach (although the video of his camp-opening speech to the team seems to be changing a few minds). But the past few days, a couple of players have made it pretty clear they understand that things have changed. They know their job is only as secure as their own performance. And these are not undrafted rookies talking about trying to make the team. This is two solidly established starter, who think their replacements are already on the team. And, if they are not exactly happy about it, they indicate they fully understand that this is just the way it is when you play for a certain red-haired coach.

ADMIN Edit: <snip> See link above...

Last edited by a moderator:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Good read man. I've been noticing for a while now (couple of years) that the sense of entitlement is gone and that it was going to be pay for production (finally!) in Dallas.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
If only it would disappear from the fans.

I'm excited for this upcoming season as I think the players are really being into Garrett's program.

Hopefully that translates onto the field.

OhSnap

Reaction score
I think theres a mistake in the assumption that players were feeling entitled just because they were Cowboys. ALL teams that have success fall into that trap however it is a bigger trap in Dallas with all the extra media. But very few teams overcome the SB hangover. The recent "Dream Team" in phili is another example and it's worse than ever with all the social media and 24 hr media focused on the NFL, it's a tuff thing to hide from. Who doesn't want to hear people say they're great? If people are tellin ya your great it don't matter what's on the side of your helmet. Thats what's makes certain coaches better than others they know how to stop it.

sideon

Reaction score
From a players perspective yes but from a fans perspective absolutely not, the Cowboys Lakers & Yankees are the 3 teams in this country that will always have entitlement no matter how good/bad they are.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
I don't think there is a sense of entitlement among the players. They know they've missed the playoff three straight years. Plus there are probably only about 15 players remaining from that 2009 team.

I don't think a sense of entitlement has been our problem. It's been a lack of talent at key positions and poor coaching decisions.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
I don't think there is a sense of entitlement among the players. They know they've missed the playoff three straight years. Plus there are probably only about 15 players remaining from that 2009 team.

I don't think a sense of entitlement has been our problem. It's been a lack of talent at key positions and poor coaching decisions.

Yea, im not sure how much this "sense of entitlement" thing really exists at all. Pretty much just in some fans' minds, imo. An excuse among excuses for why we aren't playing well. Its bound to happen when you go this long without making a real playoff push. Understandable.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
Yea, im not sure how much this "sense of entitlement" thing really exists at all. Pretty much just in some fans' minds, imo. An excuse among excuses for why we aren't playing well. Its bound to happen when you go this long without making a real playoff push. Understandable.

Like others are saying, the entitlement is probably only in the fans minds at this point.

We have to have a reason to explain why we aren't winning. Whether it be coaching, talent, Jerry Jones, or a sense of entitlement throughout the organization.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
So that was Garrett's master plan -- miss the playoffs year after year after year in order to humble this otherwise talent filled team.

Mmmmmmkay.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I can agree with this statement. The sense of entitlement continued somewhat under the Parcell's Era eventhough it wasn't earned there, either. But the myth continued..especially when TO was signed and everybody expected the team to march right into the SB.

Didn't happen again.

Then that all had to be dismantled after Phillips came and went and now Garrett.

I think this team has to hit rock-bottom and be humiliated before it's going to change. I hate to say that..but it's been happening now for 3 years. Slow spiral to the bottom.

And while we have done that, teams like the Giants with Manning that started rebuilding after Parcells came to Dallas and then the Iggles with Vick and now the Commanders with RGIII have all retooled their teams with young, talent position leaders while we continue to ferret out the Enigma of the Cowboys/Romo era still.

I understand Jerry wanting to stay with Romo and Garrett as his two main pillars of the franchise and is refraining from too much quick hook on the HC for not winning..but..

..I don't think this season is going to bring much improvement in the W-L with the learning curve and number of new players in important roles we are depending on and against the quality of coaching and QBs in our Division. This only increases the pressure on Romo to produce and produce big and if it fails..as it always pretty much has. in the past..

..it won't be Romo leaving as he just got that big payday.

It will surely be Garrett.

And I'm not so sure a 5-11 or 6-10 season wouldn't be good for the future. We need more players and we need a real HC here for this veteran staff we now have. Garrett is still learning it all. While I admire Jerrah for trying to stay the course..I just don't see Redball as a bigtime HC who wins.

He makes too many errors in judgement and while I think Jerrah has his back..it won't be for long after mid-season comes and goes..me thinkst.

My 2 cents. Hope I'm wrong but it's just the feel I get looking at what is going on still.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I can agree with this statement. The sense of entitlement continued somewhat under the Parcell's Era eventhough it wasn't earned there, either. But the myth continued..especially when TO was signed and everybody expected the team to march right into the SB.

Didn't happen again.

Then that all had to be dismantled after Phillips came and went and now Garrett.

I think this team has to hit rock-bottom and be humiliated before it's going to change. I hate to say that..but it's been happening now for 3 years. Slow spiral to the bottom.

And while we have done that, teams like the Giants with Manning that started rebuilding after Parcells came to Dallas and then the Iggles with Vick and now the Commanders with RGIII have all retooled their teams with young, talent position leaders while we continue to ferret out the Enigma of the Cowboys/Romo era still.

I understand Jerry wanting to stay with Romo and Garrett as his two main pillars of the franchise and is refraining from too much quick hook on the HC for not winning..but..

..I don't think this season is going to bring much improvement in the W-L with the learning curve and number of new players in important roles we are depending on and against the quality of coaching and QBs in our Division. This only increases the pressure on Romo to produce and produce big and if it fails..as it always pretty much has. in the past..

..it won't be Romo leaving as he just got that big payday.

It will surely be Garrett.

And I'm not so sure a 5-11 or 6-10 season wouldn't be good for the future. We need more players and we need a real HC here for this veteran staff we now have. Garrett is still learning it all. While I admire Jerrah for trying to stay the course..I just don't see Redball as a bigtime HC who wins.

He makes too many errors in judgement and while I think Jerrah has his back..it won't be for long after mid-season comes and goes..me thinkst.

My 2 cents. Hope I'm wrong but it's just the feel I get looking at what is going on still.

You're entitled to your opinion but without Garrett and Romo last year, the team would've imploded after week 9. You have to give them credit for battling despite the rash of injuries. Tom Landry's first 5 years were 0-11, 4-9, 5-8, 4-10, 5-8 and 7-7. Folks growing up nowadays want instant gratificaiton. Me, me, me. I don't applaud Jerry for much but I do applaud him for sticking with Garrett and wanting to establish some consistency.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion but without Garrett and Romo last year, the team would've imploded after week 9. You have to give them credit for battling despite the rash of injuries. Tom Landry's first 5 years were 0-11, 4-9, 5-8, 4-10, 5-8 and 7-7. Folks growing up nowadays want instant gratificaiton. Me, me, me. I don't applaud Jerry for much but I do applaud him for sticking with Garrett and wanting to establish some consistency.

hey..thanx for the reply..

no problems..I see what you are saying..

I still think this is Garrett's last year as HC.

I could even see him stepping down after the season and still stay on as an offensive coordinator assistant or something..QB coach..whatever. then bring in somebody to run the show and draft better. Let Garrett sit back and learn from another good coach they bring in. I don't dislike him, I just think he's not ready.

That's what I hope for. And under Garrett recently we've let too many previous top draft picks go in the last 3 years without so much as a trade to recoup a meager low draft pick at 6th or 7th Rd. for them.

I think that's really poor franchise strategy, coupled with poor drafting and lack of coaching talent to not be developing those players enough that they MUST be resigned...but instead they go free and we lose any investment we had in them. You know who I'm talking about..all the DL we've let leave in the last 2-3 years and would have been a perfect fit for the 4-3 defense we are now using.

But no..we are plugging holes the first week of TC at DL like the little boy from Holland that kept plugging the dike and save the day in the end. But it is looking like a hairy ride with these DLers after Ware and Spencer and Lee..whom we all know aren't going to be playing much until the opener.

I don't know..that's why I'm a fan..got to wait and see I guess.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
hey..thanx for the reply..

no problems..I see what you are saying..

I still think this is Garrett's last year as HC.

I could even see him stepping down after the season and still stay on as an offensive coordinator assistant or something..QB coach..whatever. then bring in somebody to run the show and draft better. Let Garrett sit back and learn from another good coach they bring in. I don't dislike him, I just think he's not ready.

That's what I hope for. And under Garrett recently we've let too many previous top draft picks go in the last 3 years without so much as a trade to recoup a meager low draft pick at 6th or 7th Rd. for them.

I think that's really poor franchise strategy, coupled with poor drafting and lack of coaching talent to not be developing those players enough that they MUST be resigned...but instead they go free and we lose any investment we had in them. You know who I'm talking about..all the DL we've let leave in the last 2-3 years and would have been a perfect fit for the 4-3 defense we are now using.

But no..we are plugging holes the first week of TC at DL like the little boy from Holland that kept plugging the dike and save the day in the end. But it is looking like a hairy ride with these DLers after Ware and Spencer and Lee..whom we all know aren't going to be playing much until the opener.

I don't know..that's why I'm a fan..got to wait and see I guess.

Head coaches that get fired don't stick around to be an offensive coordinator or QB coach. Just doesn't happen. We've only lost 1 guy from the DL for the season. A legitimate concern would be the players we have along the offensive line. Not the best in the NFL by far.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
How would anyone on this board know unless they were friends with a player and heard it there first?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
I have felt in the past that there was definetly a sense of entitilement in Dallas.

Because they were on the Dallas Cowboys, some players (probably not all) felt that no matter win or lose they were still "Rock Stars" in Dallas with the big star on their helmet and 6 trophies in the case.

They were still "Royalty" because Dallas had the reputation and tradition of 'winning'.

Fame, big houses, fancy cars and all of the glitter of being a Dallas Cowboy was enough for some of them. Oh sure, they wanted to win, .. but win or lose, they were still living the "high life" of being a Dallas Cowboy. Even though latelty they have not earned that at all.

So nobody will be happier than me if JG has removed that sense of entitlement.