Is the window closed

Aven8

Reaction score
Yes and no.

The team will likely keep enough talent to win the division next season and compete for the 1 seed.

But does that really matter? I can’t see this team competing in the playoffs as is. We need a rebuild if we have championship aspirations.

We’ve got GB, Tenny, Bucs, and Cincy next year. No #1 seed there

gmb1

Reaction score
Was the window ever opened? Like Stephen A Smith always says, what can go wrong will go wrong.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I’m not sure it was ever open. Unless you trusted this perennially inept organization

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
The only saving grace would be bringing in an actual coach that can get the most out of his players. That literally the only chance this team has at winning anything in the future.

Every coach we have is a Jerry "hopeful" who turns out to be a joke.

Silly

Reaction score
I think they need to get creative and start trading some old players and start drafting some young stars like Parsons. I don't see how they will pay everyone a top salary and stay under the cap! They need to cut the driftwood! For some players, I think the window has closed! It would be prudent to try and save the team!

RS12

Reaction score
Is the window closed

It has really never been open since Jerry decided he knew football.

Kumala808

Reaction score
I think it is and i especially think it is over for this oline except for Martin and Steele.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
No I'm not referring to the stadium window. We know thats still open.

-There are other teams that are up and coming and loaded with talent. In our division Philly has 3 first rounders, the giants 2 (albeit they are much further away). But Philly is a threat.

- We have a bunch of free agents we can't sign. Most on defense.

This is going to be the same team. Maybe worse. Explain to me how this team wins the next two seasons? Especially if Brady and Rodgers are still in the NFC next year. (even if they aren't the rams and cardinals are still better).

We don’t. The 2021 season was our window.

• We don’t have enough cap space to sign all the guys we want, whether it’s resigning or Free Agency.
  • We don’t really have any draft capital to load up on young talent.
  • We’ll have the first place schedule next year, so we will obviously be facing the Packers, Bucs and Rams. 3 almost guaranteed losses.
  • The NFC East curse of no back-to-back division titles. Eagirls probably take it next year.
Prepare yourself for no playoff appearances for 2 years.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
I think this is a popular knee jerk reaction from most fans who, like me, are voraciously upset after that pathetic showing yesterday. However, I think its foolish to just write this team off for next year just because of the disappointing finish to this year. If they are able to keep Kearse and maybe Gregory (or sufficiently replace Gregory) AND they can effectively rebuild the interior of this OL and perhaps draft Tyrons replacement and/or Josh Ball ends up being a legit starter, then I think this team can return to legitimate contender status. When we are able to run the ball well, we win games. Point blank period. Not only that, but IF we are able to run the ball, Dak magically becomes a good Quarterback because he doesn't have to do too much, which he clearly cannot be counted on to do. So that's really my take for next year and the years ahead- rebuild that OL into the dominating force it once was and reap the benefits.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Things change so fast in the NFL, we talked about that window closing with Romo years ago and now here we're wondering if it's closing on his successor? I think the team window is always open if you draft well, but the strengths of the team that get you through that window may change.

There will still be enough core talent here to compete, the only question I have is will our coaching staff be able to use it correctly?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With 22 unrestricted free agents the window may have closed. It’s going to be very difficult to bring back as talented a team as we had this season. We had a great opportunity and we blew it.

Zman5

Reaction score
We'll be a perennial playoff team for next few years. Going deep into the playoffs is another story.

Creeper

Reaction score
The window is closed for at least another few years. The CAP is going to decimate this team in 2022. Look at the list of free agents. Gallup, Wilson, Schultz, Gregory, Armstrong, Lewis, Kearse, Hooker, LVE and a bunch more. The Cowboys will sign maybe 1 or 2 of these players but you can bet most will leave and be replaced by lesser players. Plus they still have problems on the OL that need to be fixed. The best of these players will leave and the losers will stay.

Even if the Eagles did not have 3 first round picks, they would still pose a challenge to the Cowboys. The Giants too. With a new coach, OC, and GM the Giants will probably improve too. Of course the WFT and Giants both need QBs. The Eagles will probably have a competition between Hurts and Minshew. I still think it is too soon to write off Hurts. The Eagles are going to be a running team like the Ravens.

But it is the Cowboys facing a first place schedule who will field a worse team than they did in 2021. And for those people proclaiming Hurts and Danny Dimes lost causes, just remember what Dak looked like yesterday and for more of the season. We have a QB who struggles against the better teams too. The rookie Dak who had no fear is long gone and he has been replaced by Donovan McNabb.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
At this point, Dallas is counting on:
- Internal growth. Hopefully Biadasz improves. Someone to help Dak work through progressions better.
- Fantastic cheap vet pick ups
- A homerun draft

Not impossible but . . . doubtful. More likely than not, this team is mediocre for two years until they can clear Jaylon's cap hit, get rid of Zeke's cap hit, Tank's cap hit, etc. and then maybe you can start putting a team together. This was, realistically, Dallas' year.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yes the window is closed. This was always about the OL + Zeke and the running game. They are in year 7 of Tyron/Collins/Martin as a group - it is rare for OL to be kept together for so long and you are seeing all of them start to decline. Now you have to start rebuilding the OL and that will take some time. This core was built for 2014-2017 to have a "Romo friendly" offense in his final years.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
The window was never open…lol. Who are you kidding ? We were 6-5 outside the division, lost to most of the playoff teams we played, and beat nobodies in our division. God, one division win was our starters against the Eagles JV team. The window was closed and will remain so because we go forward with the usual weak subjects in key positions- GM Jerry, HC Mike, Dak, Zeke, and less surrounding talent based on salary cap hell.