Is there an actual plan for this season?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Maybe.....but, in the real world....it's not easy to win a SB. Spoiled fans may be more applicable. We all want to win, some of us just choose not to wallow in misery because we don't. Stupid, Arrogant and ignorance works both ways.
I hear you on the winning the SB thing. Only one handed out per year, and for a while there, one guy was claiming most of them.

Let's take only the last 20 years or so, if the team had say....made it to a SB and lost, maybe lost a couple of conference championships.....there would be a completely different narrative around here and in general. Sure there would still be the "26 year" drought but you wouldn't hear it as much.

When we get close....we seem to lose in the same frustrating way.....severely outcoached and/or underprepared.

I'm still stunned at how disinterested the team looked overall in the SF game. I really dont know why or how, and I'm not gonna pretend to, but it's disturbing how we always seem to find a way to come up small when the stakes increase.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well there are a lot of stupid comments on here. I made a few myself. :laugh:

But most are made (and repeated) from the same group of "dislikers" and "trolls" :laugh:
They're just jealous cause they weren't around for the good times.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You've got to assemble a team that can be physically tough enough to succeed and have success in the playoffs, they don't understand this but I hear what you're saying!!
you also need the best coaches, and they dont get that either.
And you cant hire a HC and then tell him he has to use your OC ! :facepalm:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear you on the winning the SB thing. Only one handed out per year, and for a while there, one guy was claiming most of them.

Let's take only the last 20 years or so, if the team had say....made it to a SB and lost, maybe lost a couple of conference championships.....there would be a completely different narrative around here and in general. Sure there would still be the "26 year" drought but you wouldn't hear it as much.

When we get close....we seem to lose in the same frustrating way.....severely outcoached and/or underprepared.

I'm still stunned at how disinterested the team looked overall in the SF game. I really dont know why or how, and I'm not gonna pretend to, but it's disturbing how we always seem to find a way to come up small when the stakes increase.
No doubt that SF game was disappointing. I stopped throwing stuff at my TV and losing my mind when my daughter was born in 2000. Way more important things in life for me than worrying about Jerry. I just enjoy the game and leave it be when it's over.....at least since Garrett was allowed to walk, because he sucked....lol

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score

that is all on mike, he let them think they were great during and after the philly game, so they thought they were.
and they were poorly prepared, and a poor game plan, which led to a poor start.
Then that last play says it all about kellen and mike, they both should have been fired after that fiasco.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Letting CW and Collins go to roll with guys who are a step behind them in talent but millions cheaper was their plan. Moving on from Cooper was more personal. Deciding not to change the language in a contract for Randy was business, but the plan was to keep him. We don't know what their goal is for certain, we just know it's not going all out to amass the most talent possible in a season to give the team the best chance at winning 1 or more playoff games. Their goal seems to be to obtain and keep good but not great rosters and if they trip into a playoff win so be it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, the plan is clearly to return as many starters as possible from last seasons NFC East champion squad. We just didn't need Amari, Gregory, or La El. By replacing those guys with inferior players, we can make the division title race more exciting before our annual playoff beat down. Rinse and repeat.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
So far there doesn't seem to be anything that makes us fans believe we will be better than we were last season. I'm trying to remain hopeful, without over doing it. These 20+ years of not winning anything major except building our STATS and filling Jerry's pockets, is taking a toll on so many of us.

Is the plan to build solely on the draft, and go from there with free agency? I can see why they may not be signing VETS for this one reason. At this point in their careers, these guys don't want to do training camp, OTA'S etc, they want to come back around pre season. In which you'll see them on the PUP list for a few weeks, then they're able to play!

Back to the draft, if we're truly building through the draft, realistically how many of these players drafted will make enough of an impact to help us this season. Let's not forget the players we drafted last year.

There has to be a plan, the cowboys fan base deserves something to get us excited about. At this point, we're losing hope. I don't want them to start making genius moves either to somehow try and appeal to us. Just be smart, and make good moves!!

Come up with a plan, a winning plan that makes sense........! Please give your thoughts
If there is a plan, its not a very good one.
You have to use every avenue available for talent acquisition.
The Cowboys rely almost exclusively on the draft and don't treat free agency seriously.
They also have a poor track record on trades for other teams players.
Look at the Rams as a blueprint for what we should be doing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So far there doesn't seem to be anything that makes us fans believe we will be better than we were last season. I'm trying to remain hopeful, without over doing it. These 20+ years of not winning anything major except building our STATS and filling Jerry's pockets, is taking a toll on so many of us.

Is the plan to build solely on the draft, and go from there with free agency? I can see why they may not be signing VETS for this one reason. At this point in their careers, these guys don't want to do training camp, OTA'S etc, they want to come back around pre season. In which you'll see them on the PUP list for a few weeks, then they're able to play!

Back to the draft, if we're truly building through the draft, realistically how many of these players drafted will make enough of an impact to help us this season. Let's not forget the players we drafted last year.

There has to be a plan, the cowboys fan base deserves something to get us excited about. At this point, we're losing hope. I don't want them to start making genius moves either to somehow try and appeal to us. Just be smart, and make good moves!!

Come up with a plan, a winning plan that makes sense........! Please give your thoughts

If everybody is healthy and the they add 1 top notch interior OLineman, then the team could easily better than last season.

The defense can definitely take a step up from last season.
Games Played last Season:
DLaw: 7
Gregory: 12
Gallimore: 5

Odighi started 12 games as a rookie 3rd round pick.
Jabril Cox projects as an upgrade over Neal as the coverage LB.
Vander Esch was much much better at the end of the season than early as the run downs LB.

Fowler on passing downs and Armstrong on run downs if healthy can be better than Gregory at 12 of 17 games played.

Interior OL is a position where 1st and 2nd round picks generally start as rookies.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by referencing the time between now and the first game....as far as how the team looks on paper.

There's no real needle mover left in FA, and any draft pick is still a rookie. We certainly shouldn't expect a Parsons type difference maker to be added via draft.

If you mean it in the sense that sometimes less is more, and that games aren't played on paper, I can agree there.

Prime example.....is Terrance Steele a better player than Laell Collins? Nope....not at all.

Did the OL as a unit seem to play much better with Steele? Yeah it sure did.
your needle is broke

so the draft and FAs will fill those holes. More to come ie post draft cuts , post June 1st cuts..so take that needle have it redone and come back with common sense..noone here seems to have it.needles don't need to move with big names and big contracts. umm kkkk get over it..i also stated trades can happen all the way to the trade deadline. Again all this negative judgement 6months before game was is straight ignorant lack of patience and common sense..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What's left in FA isn't a needle mover for this team. There are no options, for example, to improve DE unless you think Clowney would be a smart signing. They could try to add Beckham or Landry at WR, which I think would upgrade the WR room but they don't appear to have much interest.

So basically if you are looking for a talent upgrade it has to come from the draft. But how likely is one draft going to provide immediate help/impact at multiple positions? You need impacts at DE, LG, WR for sure............. How likely is it that you'll get that help immediately from this draft?

Every year you guys say the same thing - don't judge the team until after the draft and FA ends and yet every season, the roster is exposed as being flawed (largely because they simply don't know how to use FA wisely).
Sound like you made up your mind.

Guys like me? You mean because I don’t cry one weeek into FA?

Common sense to wait and see till after the draft and FA. And there definitely players in the draft and FA that can move the needle.

stiletto

Reaction score
It doesn't feel like a real solid plan with FA but I am not going to complain (or not) until the draft is over. I believe in McClay a lot more than I believe in Little Enos...that's without saying.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
It's called TANK! in preparation for Payton next season. Next year will be a firesale on large contracts. We may even draft Dak's eventual replacement. It's past time for a 2x15 season. Lots of dead wood coaches and
players on this team now.
So Jerry is going to pay a million dollars to participate in the up coming season just to tank. With Dak, Zeke, CeeDee and a tagged TE on the roster...I don't think so. The fact that they tagged Shultz should let you know what our plan is. It's to try our best to win it all. Not tank.

phildadon86

Reaction score

This team is the definition of reactive. And when things dont go their way they panic. Hence why Gregory hasnt been replaced. Their plan is to build thru the draft. Which is all well and good but you cant lose 4 starters and try to replace them in the draft. You just cant.

A good draft usually yields 1-2 starters. And thats a home run. The fact they are trying to convince the fans that they are going to find 4+ starters in this draft is a slap in the face.

I lost a lot of faith a couple years ago when the Jones' decided the first week of free agency was a good time for the annual family vacation. Shows how little they actually care about winning and the fans.

LittleD

Reaction score
So Jerry is going to pay a million dollars to participate in the up coming season just to tank. With Dak, Zeke, CeeDee and a tagged TE on the roster...I don't think so. The fact that they tagged Shultz should let you know what our plan is. It's to try our best to win it all. Not tank.

Of course he would. Operating this team is just chump change to him. What's 250million investment when you make a billion every year. Schultz is just a one year signing in order to draft the next Witten. Last season was supposed to be our season to win it all and Dak choked the last seven games. Time to rebuild and start the next generation of players to win it all. Dallas needs time in the cellar to winnow out the losers.