Is this as good as the O-line gets?

Kellsbells

Reaction score
We’ve waited a long time to have our 5 starters on the O-line on the field at the same time. We all thought they would be unstoppable. These last 2 games have shown that to be very far from the truth. What happened? Did we overvalue the 5? Are some of them still playing hurt? Would we be better off putting backups out there? Is this as good as it gets?
I don’t know what the answer is, I’m just looking for opinions.

gtb1943

Reaction score
We’ve waited a long time to have our 5 starters on the O-line on the field at the same time. We all thought they would be unstoppable. These last 2 games have shown that to be very far from the truth. What happened? Did we overvalue the 5? Are some of them still playing hurt? Would we be better off putting backups out there? Is this as good as it gets?
To be blunt for all starters to not look that good at the same time argues that the system is at fault.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
maybe expectations is a better word. many people had unrealistic expectations for each of them. just because Tyron steps on field doesn't mean he's prime Tyron. Tyler S has played well but really got in a penalty funk this last game. Tyler B is just a "good enough ... but not really" player. Zack hasn't been dominant in several years and seems to be dinged up pretty good. Terrence is coming off a significant injury. Uneven outings should have been the expectation for him all along.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Totally everyone's fault who thought they would be dominate of some sort. We have guys that are banged up, guys past their prime etc etc, we're not a top level offensive line by any means. Philly is a good line to look at, they always mention the colts a having a good line

Reaction score
They'll get better as a unit provided they stay healthy but for now Zach martin is playing with a bad leg and the center is overated and weak.

75boyz

Reaction score
They all didn't all of a sudden forget how or become sucky at run blocking. Pollard didn't just forget how to run behind this line overnight.

To make matters worse,
McCarthy's early down run play predictability is pathetic.

I think Solari may be a Paul Alexander Part II myself.
We know how that turned out.
Something needs to be changed at the OL coaching level AND the playcalling/design and run philosophy level.

It's like McCarthy, Schott and Solari don't know what to do in the run game.

Simple as that.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's tough to play OL when you have a revolving door. Continuity is key...the week off should give them more time to heal and allow for more reps as a unit. This should help, let's hope it does. Run game is horrible and Dak is constantly under the gun. Needs to improve if we're going anywhere this season.

Nexx

Reaction score
you cant pump and pump, hold onto the ball in the same spot and not get pressured. Dak needs to see, anticipate and release.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They all didn't all of a sudden forget how or become sucky at run blocking. Pollard didn't just forget how to run behind this line overnight.

To make matters worse,
McCarthy's early down run play predictability is pathetic.

I think Solari may be a Paul Alexander Part II myself.
We know how that turned out.
Something needs to be changed at the OL coaching level AND the playcalling/design and run philosophy level.

It's like McCarthy, Schott and Solari don't know what to do in the run game.

Simple as that.
Yeah, I don't have enough knowledge of the ins and outs of o-line schemes, but it is odd that all of our starters appear to be regressing. Maybe it is our o-line coach. Honestly I have no idea. :huh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last 3 games was the first games they played together as a unit in almost 2 years.
Added to that learning a new offense as well a new OL coach.
They need time to gel. Get in Sync.

starfan1

Reaction score
The last 3 games was the first games they played together as a unit in almost 2 years.
Added to that learning a new offense as well a new OL coach.
They need time to gel. Get in Sync.
werent they all in training camp? I just think your going to continue to see marginal play from the 5. Tyron is on the way down. Steele looks different. Tyler B is good in space but not necessarily in the blocking zone, Tyler Smith is still growing but hes at a different postion this year and Zack is no longer the best guard in the league

and thats the best 5. hopefully Im wrong but they just dont look as if they are going to be dominant.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's tough to play OL when you have a revolving door. Continuity is key...the week off should give them more time to heal and allow for more reps as a unit. This should help, let's hope it does. Run game is horrible and Dak is constantly under the gun. Needs to improve if we're going anywhere this season.
I think I’ve asked you this before, when a different OC was here, and I can’t at all believe I have to again….

Do you think there’s some sort of ‘tell’ going on? The defense seems to often know what’s coming.

When the offense gets “dumbed down,” does it go hand in hand with things like that? Tendencies are micro studied these days.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I’ve asked you this before, when a different OC was here, and I can’t at all believe I have to again….

Do you think there’s some sort of ‘tell’ going on? The defense seems to often know what’s coming.

When the offense gets “dumbed down,” does it go hand in hand with things like that? Tendencies are micro studied these days.
Yes they are, every team at all levels study tendencies. The good teams assign a couple of coaches to study their own tendencies....If some HS teams do it, I'm sure all of the NFL teams do it. That said, little things that we can't catch on film, like the pressure on the OLinemans hand, the placement of his feet, things like this can really help a defense. At the end of the day, catching the play calling tendencies is the way to go. It's a lot of fun being on the sideline, playing chess against the opposite coach.

Brax

Reaction score
As the season goes on it’s not going to get better as wear.and injuries add up. O line coaching scheme the few seasons doesn’t seem to fit the players strengths but only time will tell.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
werent they all in training camp? I just think your going to continue to see marginal play from the 5. Tyron is on the way down. Steele looks different. Tyler B is good in space but not necessarily in the blocking zone, Tyler Smith is still growing but hes at a different postion this year and Zack is no longer the best guard in the league

and thats the best 5. hopefully Im wrong but they just dont look as if they are going to be dominant.
They still did not practice together in TC. Basically walk through type stuff.

starfan1

Reaction score
They still did not practice together in TC. Basically walk through type stuff.
ok I thought they just didnt play preseason games. I stand corrected zach was out I know that I thought the rest of them practiced

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, of course they will. Continuity is very important in the trenches.

Steele will get better. Anyone, athlete or not, will take a long time to fully recover from any kind of ACL injury. That will get better over time.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Jerry Jones has difficulty working on both sides of the ball at the same time. The front office predominantly worked on defense, and brought in spares for the OL. Jerry still thinks Tyron Smith is a starter. Steele is still in the first year back from the knee injury. I think he came back too soon. Martin is still terrific, but his skills are beginning to erode. Biadasz is playing injured. Tyler Smith is becoming the best player on the line.

Dallas had an opportunity to grab a really good guard in the draft and move Tyler Smith to tackle. O'Cyrus Torrence was there for the taking, but Jerry decided he needed to spend a premium second round pick on a TE that had little production in college at catching passes. Torrence has had three penalties and NO sacks in over 350 snaps this season as a starter.

Jerry has self labeled himself as a wildcatter. That is an oil field term for guys who take big risks in searching for oil. He plays these games as the GM, and rolls the dice. He has been rolling the dice on Tyron for a long time. The last season Tyron has played every game was in 2015.

While there may be days they play with a little more cohesiveness, and less penalties, this is as good as it gets, in my opinion. But then I have been fairly vocal about this since before this last draft. Just my opinion.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yup I don't expect it to be any better. You can change players and position coaches but they're all just by-products of the overall offensive system and scheme that is run. They have no identity compared to other top teams. SF and Philly know they are going to be a power running team and their system and playbook are built around that. That's why their OL seem better and stronger in the trenches. KC knows it is a passing team built around Mahomes and Kelce (their running game is a joke but it doesn't matter because they know they are going to throw and be good at pass protection).

The Cowboys just try to run Pollard or previously Zeke 15+ times and then have Dak throw it but there's no flow or identity in how they operate.

Redline360

Reaction score
We started the first couple games fine even with three starters out however it has been regressing.

The entire offensive looks pedestrian and no scheme going on at all. It's like looking back at the JG days of just beat the man in front of you philosophy which doesn't work in this day and age

Last edited: