Is this as good as the O-line gets?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We’ve waited a long time to have our 5 starters on the O-line on the field at the same time. We all thought they would be unstoppable. These last 2 games have shown that to be very far from the truth. What happened? Did we overvalue the 5? Are some of them still playing hurt? Would we be better off putting backups out there? Is this as good as it gets?
I don’t know what the answer is, I’m just looking for opinions.
I agree with you. If you can make one improvement before the trade deadline, try to upgrade the offensive line. Not sure where you do it exactly. But my solution would be to move Tyler back to LT. People were saying Tyron Smith had such a great game, and I just didn't see it. That's just me. But Dak still doesn't have a whole lot of time to throw the ball.

Martin has declined. Steele has declined. Tyron has declined. The only two holding their own is Biadasz and Tyler.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Yup I don't expect it to be any better. You can change players and position coaches but they're all just by-products of the overall offensive system and scheme that is run. They have no identity compared to other top teams. SF and Philly know they are going to be a power running team and their system and playbook are built around that. That's why their OL seem better and stronger in the trenches. KC knows it is a passing team built around Mahomes and Kelce (their running game is a joke but it doesn't matter because they know they are going to throw and be good at pass protection).

The Cowboys just try to run Pollard or previously Zeke 15+ times and then have Dak throw it but there's no flow or identity in how they operate.
They could improve if they cut their runs up the middle by 30 percent and implemented motion of most of their plays.

Motion, motion, motion.

I still like TJ Bass. He's a physical player, and would make a great guard for us. He can help the running game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Jerry Jones has difficulty working on both sides of the ball at the same time. The front office predominantly worked on defense, and brought in spares for the OL. Jerry still thinks Tyron Smith is a starter. Steele is still in the first year back from the knee injury. I think he came back too soon. Martin is still terrific, but his skills are beginning to erode. Biadasz is playing injured. Tyler Smith is becoming the best player on the line.

Dallas had an opportunity to grab a really good guard in the draft and move Tyler Smith to tackle. O'Cyrus Torrence was there for the taking, but Jerry decided he needed to spend a premium second round pick on a TE that had little production in college at catching passes. Torrence has had three penalties and NO sacks in over 350 snaps this season as a starter.

Jerry has self labeled himself as a wildcatter. That is an oil field term for guys who take big risks in searching for oil. He plays these games as the GM, and rolls the dice. He has been rolling the dice on Tyron for a long time. The last season Tyron has played every game was in 2015.

While there may be days they play with a little more cohesiveness, and less penalties, this is as good as it gets, in my opinion. But then I have been fairly vocal about this since before this last draft. Just my opinion.
I would imagine most of us know what wildcatter means. I've noticed many on this board are Texas alumni or alumni from elsewhere in Texas, and I suspect most in-state colleges offer courses like American studies or something similar. But thanks for the explanation.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
They could improve if they cut their runs up the middle by 30 percent and implemented motion of most of their plays.

Motion, motion, motion.

I still like TJ Bass. He's a physical player, and would make a great guard for us. He can help the running game.
I feel like a successful offense should be built around the strengths of your skill positions players and especially your QB. Then you can have lots of plays designed to bring out the best in those players and when that happens, the OL will feel comfortable and thrive because they know their role. The Dolphins have shown what a great offensive playcaller and speedy weapons can do to transform their team. Connor Williams was criticized here but goes to Miami and has been good as their center.

It seems like the Cowboys just try to build pieces on the OL who are generally considered good players/prospects but then they just expect to run generic and predictable plays. It still reeks of the Garrett style of having a 1990s offense based on everyone winning their individual matchups. Kellen Moore was allowed some freedom and we saw some motion but overall, it was still a very bland playbook. Maybe that is still due to Jerry and Stephen and their preference :thumbdown:

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
If so, I don’t feel good with what I have seen so far and what we have left. This OL is flat out terrible.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I would imagine most of us know what wildcatter means. I've noticed many on this board are Texas alumni or alumni from elsewhere in Texas, and I suspect most in-state colleges offer courses like American studies or something similar. But thanks for the explanation.
I was speaking to the OP. Frame of reference is lost on this site at times. But thanks for your perspective.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
maybe expectations is a better word. many people had unrealistic expectations for each of them. just because Tyron steps on field doesn't mean he's prime Tyron. Tyler S has played well but really got in a penalty funk this last game. Tyler B is just a "good enough ... but not really" player. Zack hasn't been dominant in several years and seems to be dinged up pretty good. Terrence is coming off a significant injury. Uneven outings should have been the expectation for him all along.
Today's Tyron is a shell of himself, ....Tyler Smith has degressed somewhat and is now playing like a rookie,...Biadasz has never been a premier C, just a jag.., Zack is not as dominant as before and Steele coming off an injury and not playing as well as last year... So the OL play is below average and may as well put in Bass and Richards to see if they can provide somewhat a tougher wall for the offense. Sit Tyron. C is a weak spot and will be difficult to cover up.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Biaditz is mediocre at his best, and Steele is flat out awful. 2 weak links and no OL is going to thrive. They don't fit the new blocking scheme, stunts shred our OL, they look lost when the D mixes things up.

conner01

Reaction score
We’ve waited a long time to have our 5 starters on the O-line on the field at the same time. We all thought they would be unstoppable. These last 2 games have shown that to be very far from the truth. What happened? Did we overvalue the 5? Are some of them still playing hurt? Would we be better off putting backups out there? Is this as good as it gets?
I don’t know what the answer is, I’m just looking for opinions.
Hope it’s not the best. Oline is a position where you really need great communication between players. They’ve played 2 games together so hopefully as time goes on the improve and the bye helps since I don’t know if half of them are actually 100% so a weeks rest may get them fully healthy but reps is where they improve as a unit