CFZ Is this Cowboys most talented team this era?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I ask this because it appears our hopes have elevated to its highest level this era.

We have had some #1 seeds like in 2007 and 2016. But I don’t recall this type of vibe as we are having now with these lofty expectations .

Back then like in 2007 it was Romo’s first full season and Phillips debut coaching here. And in 2016 was Prescotts rookie year.

This year feels different. McCarthy is in his 3rd season here and Prescott in his 7th season. And we finally have a legit defense in what appears to have been our biggest weakness throughout this era when it was our offenses which carried us to much of what success we had.

Big difference in comparison though is we will not likely be a #1 seed. And probably be a Wild Card needing to win all of our playoff games on the road. How much effect does this have. And what impact should this have on our lofty expectations.

And if we don’t have any more success by reaching our first championship game this era with what many see as our most talented team , will this be the most disappointing season?

LittleD

Reaction score
I ask this because it appears our hopes have elevated to its highest level this era.

We have had some #1 seeds like in 2007 and 2016. But I don’t recall this type of vibe as we are having now with these lofty expectations .

Back then like in 2007 it was Romo’s first full season and Phillips debut coaching here. And in 2016 was Prescotts rookie year.

This year feels different. McCarthy is in his 3rd season here and Prescott in his 7th season. And we finally have a legit defense in what appears to have been our biggest weakness throughout this era when it was our offenses which carried us to much of what success we had.

Big difference in comparison though is we will not likely be a #1 seed. And probably be a Wild Card needing to win all of our playoff games on the road. How much effect does this have. And what impact should this have on our lofty expectations.

And if we don’t have any more success by reaching our first championship game this era with what many see as our most talented team , will this be the most disappointing season?

Nothing proved yet! Have to beat the eagles, 49ers, Bucs, and Vikes again to really prove we have it. Then we have to tackle the AFC champion. Tall order for the 1 and done
Dak boys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Nothing proved yet! Have to beat the eagles, 49ers, Bucs, and Vikes again to really prove we have it. Then we have to tackle the AFC champion. Tall order for the 1 and done
Dak boys.
Right

But would a one and done or not a deeper run this year with such lofty expectations be our greatest disappointment this era with what is being perceived by many as our most talented team since our last championship game appearance.

That’s what I’m trying to measure here.
What is the pulse of our fans?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This Cowboys team vs otherCowboys teams in the past few decades?
The current offense is NOT more talented, but they are talented.
The defense is the most talented group since the 90’s. That’s what gives me hope.
Well said!

So, if we don’t meet expectations in playoffs will this be our most disappointing season with a talented team?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Gotta be up there with the Romo led 13-3 team.
Which is one of the most disappointing seasons I mentioned this era with arguably one of our most talented teams since last championship appearance. Thanks

I’m trying to gauge where our thoughts are since this team as a potential Wild Card is being touted as one of or most talented teams this era with such lofty expectations.

If we come up short could this be our greatest disappointment this era. I can’t help but wonder if we are over hyping this team which could be setting us up for our greatest disappointment this era.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This team just feels different.
I’d agree.

Does that lower or raise our expectations?

And how will that impact our disappointment in comparison to other higher expectation seasons this era if it comes up short in playoffs?

That’s the pulse I’m attempting to measure here. Thx

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
It always feels this way in the moment.

I feel like we just had this same thread last year.

Identify some key benchmarks that are vital to post season success that we have truly not achieved since our last super bowl, and see if we’ve fixed them this year.

Have we eliminated slow starts? Reduced penalties? Got strong interior DL play?

To me this team is largely still the same as it was last year.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
yeah, they are pretty good. For once in a long while the offense don't have to do it all.

Wizarus

Reaction score
It requires you to argue that the league as a whole has the similar amount of talent as it did in Romo's era. I think the league has degraded to our benefit., but you can't just pluck this team and put it in the late 2000s-early 2010s era and say that it would be successful. There was some fierce competition during that time.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Right

But would a one and done or not a deeper run this year with such lofty expectations be our greatest disappointment this era with what is being perceived by many as our most talented team since our last championship game appearance.

That’s what I’m trying to measure here.
What is the pulse of our fans?
I was most disappointed with the 2007 team. I hadn't become a cynic yet. If this team falls flat I'd be disappointed but not surprised.

Alweezy

Reaction score
I don't think the 2007 team can be considered this era. That was 15 years ago.

I think 2016 was the culmination of the Romo / Garrett era. That was about as good as we could get with that nucleus of players.

This is McCarthy's team now, and I think this team found an identity this year that can get us to the championship game. We still have a lot of work to do to make this team an all time great of an era, so I don't think we can crown them just yet. They must win in the playoffs to get that claim.

DanA

Reaction score
2014 was the most talented offense. 2022 is the most talented defense. I think this is the most complete team but it's hard to judge if it's the most talented overall because the Garrett-era coaching was bad whereas I think we have good coaches now.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Which is one of the most disappointing seasons I mentioned this era with arguably one of our most talented teams since last championship appearance. Thanks

I’m trying to gauge where our thoughts are since this team as a potential Wild Card is being touted as one of or most talented teams this era with such lofty expectations.

If we come up short could this be our greatest disappointment this era. I can’t help but wonder if we are over hyping this team which could be setting us up for our greatest disappointment this era.

I think that team was better…played in a better overall NFC that year.

I’d hate to lose in the playoffs, but if we do to the Eagles I wouldn’t be surprised. They’re the better team playing at home. They’re supposed to win.

stuckindc

Reaction score
I was most disappointed with the 2007 team. I hadn't become a cynic yet. If this team falls flat I'd be disappointed but not surprised.
Me too. The only issue with the 2007 team was had we made it to the Super Bowl, we would have had to play one of the best teams of all team in the Patriots. Who had beat the breaks off us earlier in the same season. The Giants got hot and had the kryptonite to beat them

Alweezy

Reaction score
Me too. The only issue with the 2007 team was had we made it to the Super Bowl, we would have had to play one of the best teams of all team in the Patriots. Who had beat the breaks off us earlier in the same season. The Giants got hot and had the kryptonite to beat them

I think the above proves the point of this thread.

1. You can have a historically all-time great and undefeated team and still lose the SB.
2. A hot team is more dangerous in the playoffs than a great team on paper.

We've been on the other side of point #2 so many times over the years. I for one would like to be the team that goes on a roll at the right time. That Philly game in a few weeks.will tell us a lot.