Is this going to be another Crazy Ivan Draft?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What's a 'Crazy Ivan?" Its where you are stalking something and tracking them..
and suddenly your prey turns around and heads for you..

It originated during the Cold War of the 60's and 70's. Our subs and the Russian subs spied on each other, hence the word Ivan for Russian.

The subs would try to shake each other off their trail. It's always unexpected and seems crazy. But it often works. You will get away.

So..

You know what I am asking.

It seems like year after year we always get some weird pick by the front office that turns into a Crazy Ivan.

No explanation for it. No reasoning.

Remember Calvin Ridley in 2018?

We were dying from a top WR and pick by pick we watched him drop to us..

only to pass him by and pick Wolf Hunter.

Most of us said the FO had lost their minds and while Wolf Hunter was good in 2018..2019 was a complete wash.

And it caused us to trade for Cooper and he has shot up our cap AND had problems as well disappearing in games.

Our draft with Gregory was another Crazy Ivan. Gregory had failed his Combine drug test with Pot. We took him anyway. Bad mistake.

So I ask you. We are all hoping and discussing our draft choices but..

there is a big fat white elephant in the room in the corner.

Are we going to see a bizarre pick out of Dallas in our first 3 picks we do not know anything about?

If so, what do you think about it?

Good or Bad..SMART OR FOOLISH.

Over to you guys.

:eek:

John813

Reaction score
Uh, it was widely reported Dallas liked LVE prior to the start of the draft.
There was debate on here if he was worth that pick, due to playing in the MWC and an one year wonder but it was not a surprising off the wall pick.

They also drafted Gallup later, who is possibily turning into a legit #2, if not higher receiver.
Even if they drafted Ridley, they still would of traded for Cooper. Outside of Gallup that year, they had Hurns, Austin and Deonte Thompson getting legit snaps.

Linebacker was a big need back then too.

GenoT

Reaction score
What's a 'Crazy Ivan?" Its where you are stalking something and tracking them..
and suddenly your prey turns around and heads for you..

It originated during the Cold War of the 60's and 70's. Our subs and the Russian subs spied on each other, hence the word Ivan for Russian.

The subs would try to shake each other off their trail. It's always unexpected and seems crazy. But it often works. You will get away.

So..

You know what I am asking.

It seems like year after year we always get some weird pick by the front office that turns into a Crazy Ivan.

No explanation for it. No reasoning.

Remember Calvin Ridley in 2018?

We were dying from a top WR and pick by pick we watched him drop to us..

only to pass him by and pick Wolf Hunter.

Most of us said the FO had lost their minds and while Wolf Hunter was good in 2018..2019 was a complete wash.

And it caused us to trade for Cooper and he has shot up our cap AND had problems as well disappearing in games.

Our draft with Gregory was another Crazy Ivan. Gregory had failed his Combine drug test with Pot. We took him anyway. Bad mistake.

So I ask you. We are all hoping and discussing our draft choices but..

there is a big fat white elephant in the room in the corner.

Are we going to see a bizarre pick out of Dallas in our first 3 picks we do not know anything about?

If so, what do you think about it?

Good or Bad..SMART OR FOOLISH.

Over to you guys.

:eek:
Our first MMc draft.

Patience, m’dear...

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Gallup is a better receiver right now.....that is all that matters.
My issue at the time with Ridley was that he was the best receiver but I wasn't sure he had the highest ceiling. May be wrong there. He may still can grow as a player. But I think there's a few guys from that draft with higher ceilings. Sutton, Gallup, Moore.....that was a great receiver class. Wonder how will it compare to this one.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Anyone that has read the book or seen the movie "The Hunt for Red October" knows about crazy Ivan.

I don't agree that tactic is comparable with the way the Cowboys do their drafting. LVE was an anticipated pick. Some people convinced themselves that Ridley was going to be the pick but that was their own fault, not something the Cowboys did to trick folks. If the scouts do their due diligence they will find talent that most of us have really never heard of. It's not crazy for this to happen.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone that has read the book or seen the movie "The Hunt for Red October" knows about crazy Ivan.

I don't agree that tactic is comparable with the way the Cowboys do their drafting. LVE was an anticipated pick. Some people convinced themselves that Ridley was going to be the pick but that was their own fault, not something the Cowboys did to trick folks. If the scouts do their due diligence they will find talent that most of us have really never heard of. It's not crazy for this to happen.
I think the OP has the definition wrong anyway. From what I recall of the movie (and book), the Crazy Ivan was merely a hard, unexpected turn to the left or right designed to clear the trailing submarine out of the water stirred up by its propellers so it could be detected on sonar, but did not mean one submarine turned and headed for the other. I think he is getting that maneuver mixed up with the scene where a sub turned toward an approaching torpedo to cause impact before it had a chance to arm itself.

Last edited:

SSoup

Reaction score
I'd have to disagree that the Randy Gregory kind of pick constitutes a "crazy Ivan" move for Jerry. It's so common for Jerry to try to scoop up 1st round talent that is available outside the 1st round of the draft for non-football reasons other than their actual play, that at this point it's often predictable instead of baffling.

Flozell Adams was one of the earlier examples of this off the top of my head. He was a stone-cold 1st round tackle in that 1998 draft, and he only fell to the 2nd round because of a hearing impairment in his right ear that made teams worry they'd never be able to play him at left tackle.

A few years later, I'd argue Antonio Bryant was also a 1st round player. That's less concrete than Flozell's situation. But, I mean, a Biletnikoff winner who went to a real school in a real conference and who was over 6 feet tall? Those guys tended to be automatic 1st rounders. His character shenanigans made him fall.

Then, in the last decade, there's been another rash of these kinds of guys. Gregory was a clear 1st rounder if not for the drugs. Jaylon's injury. Lael's criminal/legal baggage.

I'd even argue Demarcus Lawrence was a 1st rounder who only fell because people docked him credit because he played at Boise. If he had the exact same play (2 years, 9.5 sacks and 10.5 sacks in those 2 years) at a school with a more impressive logo on the helmet, he's for sure not there in the early 2nd round that year. I'm sure him not being tall and "long" enough also knocked him down a peg, to hear scouts tell it. But even that's a dumb reason to ignore sack production. As if Elvis Dumervil's career never even happened.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
My issue at the time with Ridley was that he was the best receiver but I wasn't sure he had the highest ceiling. May be wrong there. He may still can grow as a player. But I think there's a few guys from that draft with higher ceilings. Sutton, Gallup, Moore.....that was a great receiver class. Wonder how will it compare to this one.
I personally thought Ridley was overrated as far as "hype" was concerned. Most experts said he was heads hills the best WR in that class. Gallup for example when I looked at his tape I thought I could legit make an argument that he was better than Ridley. Then I looked at Moore and he in my eyes was legit more dynamic than Ridley. At the end of the day I think our FO and coaches got it right by waiting and drafting Gallup. I personally wanted Moore but I like the way it worked out.

erod

Reaction score
I think Ruggs is another Ridley.

I'd take Lamb or Jeudy in a heartbeat though.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think the OP has the definition wrong anyway. From what I recall of the movie (and book), the Crazy Ivan was merely a hard, unexpected turn to the left or right designed to clear the trailing submarine out of the water stirred up by its propellers so it could be detected on sonar, but did not mean one submarine turned and headed for the other. I think he is getting that maneuver mixed up with the scene where a sub turned toward an approaching torpedo to cause impact before it had a chance to arm itself.

This is correct.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't agree that tactic is comparable with the way the Cowboys do their drafting.
raw

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I don't see it. Ridley is not a bad receiver. I don't know if he's a #1 but he's a solid #2. Ruggs skillset.....I don't see him being Ridley. He's other going to flop out or some OC is going to get creative with him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

You are just setting yourself up for disappointment. The Cowboys may not draft a WR until the later rounds or not at all. They seem to be committed to using this draft to revive their defense. With all the holes this team has, it may take a couple of season to fix everything. WR may be one of those positions that has to wait. But rest assured, by 2021 this team will be a SB contender with McCarthy in charge.