Is this going to be another Crazy Ivan Draft?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What's a 'Crazy Ivan?" Its where you are stalking something and tracking them..
and suddenly your prey turns around and heads for you..

It originated during the Cold War of the 60's and 70's. Our subs and the Russian subs spied on each other, hence the word Ivan for Russian.

The subs would try to shake each other off their trail. It's always unexpected and seems crazy. But it often works. You will get away.

So..

You know what I am asking.

It seems like year after year we always get some weird pick by the front office that turns into a Crazy Ivan.

No explanation for it. No reasoning.

Remember Calvin Ridley in 2018?

We were dying from a top WR and pick by pick we watched him drop to us..

only to pass him by and pick Wolf Hunter.

Most of us said the FO had lost their minds and while Wolf Hunter was good in 2018..2019 was a complete wash.

And it caused us to trade for Cooper and he has shot up our cap AND had problems as well disappearing in games.

Our draft with Gregory was another Crazy Ivan. Gregory had failed his Combine drug test with Pot. We took him anyway. Bad mistake.

So I ask you. We are all hoping and discussing our draft choices but..

there is a big fat white elephant in the room in the corner.

Are we going to see a bizarre pick out of Dallas in our first 3 picks we do not know anything about?

If so, what do you think about it?

Good or Bad..SMART OR FOOLISH.

Over to you guys.

:eek:
This is what you call stupid fans.

DAL passed Ridley then got Gallup in RD3.
That was a great move.
Gallup outperformed Ridley in 2019. He's likely a better WR but one who was no where near as polished and still drops passes.

LVE may end up being a terrible decision based on health but if you get 3-4 more years like you got year 1 he will have been a complete steal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ridley is a decent receiver. Nothing more. Nothing that special.

Gallup is a better pro than Ridley. Half of first round players bust as first round talent.
I’m not arguing who is the better player now. I’m telling you why Ridley was drafted in the first. He’s had a solid career. 17 touchdowns in 2 years is impressive.

erod

Reaction score
I’m not arguing who is the better player now. I’m telling you why Ridley was drafted in the first. He’s had a solid career. 17 touchdowns in 2 years is impressive.
He's good, but Atlanta would not draft him again there if they could change it.

Ruggs look much the same to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Crazy Ivan!

Haha!!!!!! A "Hunt For The Red October" reference, before Alec Baldwin lost his mind completely! Good Stuff!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's good, but Atlanta would not draft him again there if they could change it.

Ruggs look much the same to me.
Ruggs gives me 17 touchdowns in 2 years.....they may need to see about getting him. That's 102 points.....

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
This is what you call stupid fans.

DAL passed Ridley then got Gallup in RD3.
That was a great move.
Gallup outperformed Ridley in 2019. He's likely a better WR but one who was no where near as polished and still drops passes.

LVE may end up being a terrible decision based on health but if you get 3-4 more years like you got year 1 he will have been a complete steal.
If and but were candy and nuts..

you want me to justify passing on Ridley because Gallup was better.?

Oh brother, you are maybe able to pass hat info as fact to your buddies, not here.

As far as Wolf Hunter, 3 or 4 more years? At what level of effectiveness?

Same as 2018?

Not on a prayer. He has a neck injury which the team knew about. They drafted him #1 anyway. Ever seen that bird cage he wears?

Its there for a reason and it ain't for fashion.

I like your enthusiasm but not sure about your projections.

The only reason Gallup had success was becuz Amari arrived, drawing all the double coverage.

Send the DBs to Gallups side of the field..he will disappear.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If and but were candy and nuts..

you want me to justify passing on Ridley because Gallup was better.?

Oh brother, you are maybe able to pass hat info as fact to your buddies, not here.

As far as Wolf Hunter, 3 or 4 more years? At what level of effectiveness?

Same as 2018?

Not on a prayer. He has a neck injury which the team knew about. They drafted him #1 anyway. Ever seen that bird cage he wears?

Its there for a reason and it ain't for fashion.

I like your enthusiasm but not sure about your projections.

The only reason Gallup had success was becuz Amari arrived, drawing all the double coverage.

Send the DBs to Gallups side of the field..he will disappear.
My dude you just drew up an entire scenario that was dumb because it DISPROVED what you wanted to prove.

Ridley plays opposite an even better WR than Amari so please just stop making terrible points, lol.
This is DUMB.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Ruggs is another Ridley.

I'd take Lamb or Jeudy in a heartbeat though.

Ruggs is unique because of his speed. He has the kind of speed that teams notice when he is on the field. Its not so much how many catches he has, as how he opens up the defense for the other receivers and the running game. Ruggs is not going to have 1 lot of catches or even a lot of yards. But if he catches a few TD passes while running past defenders, defenses are going to have to account for him and give away the underneath. He is actually a great fit in Dallas to help Elliott and the running game.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ruggs is unique because of his speed. He has the kind of speed that teams notice when he is on the field. Its not so much how many catches he has, as how he opens up the defense for the other receivers and the running game. Ruggs is not going to have 1 lot of catches or even a lot of yards. But if he catches a few TD passes while running past defenders, defenses are going to have to account for him and give away the underneath. He is actually a great fit in Dallas to help Elliott and the running game.
Ruggs isn't unique. He's rare. Ted Ginn Jr and John Ross were similar guys.

Ruggs is a big play machine but has some glaring holes in his game as a WR.
He's not good versus press coverage. See LSU.
He's not good at tracking ball as much as he just outruns people.
He has well below average route skills.
He's not great on contested catches and is fairly light of frame.

He'd be best as a WR2 opposite a rock solid WR1.
His speed is legit in pads not just shorts.
He is a tougher guy that you'd expect at less than 190.
He has great return game potential as a get it and hit it guy.

The challenge with great speed is always mirroring it with skill.
Randy Moss did that but very few do.
Ruggs isn't there yet.
But he could lose a step, gain skill and be special in the NFL is if it all comes together over 2-3 seasons.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I was a submarine officer in the 60's and 70's. The tailing ops were called blind man's bluff. Crazy ivan was in fact a russian tactic designed to make our boats slow themselves. The uss tautog collided with a rusky boat. Tautog was damaged but the risky boat sank. I have listened to the tape of its implosion. They would also fire a torpedo on occasion. But we could outrun their torpedoes or eject a noise maker to draw the fish off intended target.
You're a badass in my book. Thank you for your service Cern!